October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Weekly Trash - Betrayal at House on the Hill

More
27 Aug 2008 08:06 #10601 by ubarose
BillyZ is correct. There is almost no strategy in this game. It is an experiential game. Like Tales of the Arabian Knights, the appeal is in participating in creation of the story. The story is typically humorous, in the same way old B-movies are humorous.

The gamesmanship of Betrayal is in deducing what your opponent's winning conditions are, and what their abilities are. I know gamers who feel that the most interesting part of any game is trying to determine how to win a game from only reading the rules without actually playing the game. Betrayal offers the unique challenge of not only a new set of rules every game, but also only provides half the rules. The players have to figure out what the other half of the rules are based upon the rules they do have and the actions of their opponent(s).

The major flaw in Betrayal is that the rules change mid game, but you can't discuss them as a group to clarify any ambiguities. Unfortunately, there are sometimes ambiguities which can only be cleared up by reading both halves of the scenario. If you read both halves, or know the full scenario ahead of time it ruins the challenge I just described above.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Aug 2008 08:40 #10606 by Ska_baron
I'm definitely in the PRO BETRAYAL camp - as this was one of the games in my only really big game order when I was getting back into board games and I've had great success playing it with casual gamers. All it takes is playing with the right folks who aren't expecting Arkham Horror or Descent.

I want to second Uba's thoughts on it very much being an experience game, and there are TONS of decisions to be made once the haunt starts - The heroes have to deduce what the hell the traitor's up to and how best to try to stop it. Kind of a "hey, you go here and try to make this roll, if you succeed then I'll go do this, but if not we're screwed and I'll try to take out the monster chasing you down."

The fun is in the discovery of what new scenario is taking place. Even once we eventually repeat a haunt I've done before, it's unlikely that the folks I'm playing with will have played it and at least I can enjoy their discovery of what the heck is going on.

Errata and FAQ are here, yes. Get over it. I guess since it's my game and I'm the gamer in the group that I kinda GM it so everything moves along smoothly. MOST things can just be resolved with a "well it might mean this, but THIS makes sense most and would be most thematic" or "okay, on a roll of 1 it means this, a roll of two means this."

Some friends are coming up soon... might just have to break this one out. Not even 30 minutes of rules - most can be understood literally by just playing, drawing a card, and doing what it says. Great, great, great game for what it is! I'd LOVE to see a sequel (that's been playtested even!)

More
27 Aug 2008 08:45 #10608 by Schweig!
I just reviewed my rating on this game and I can't believe why I rated it so low. It's really a funny, innovative and entertaining game and most of its flaws are cleaned up by printing the errata and both corrected books. Too bad the game goes for so much on ebay, as it's a rather light game which more people should at least try once. I guess this is the Talisman 2nd syndrome. My friend picked up a copy of this when it was on clearance.

More
27 Aug 2008 09:02 #10615 by Mr Skeletor
Did you get it from MilSims Matt?

I grabbed it because it was cheap over here and OOP everywhere, but really its a pretty half backed game. The first 3/4 are repetitive and dull, and by the time the scenario (haunt) kicks in there are normally only a handful of turns left.

It's a game where that doesn't live up to its concept / ideas.

More
27 Aug 2008 09:12 #10617 by Matt Thrower
Mr Skeletor wrote:

Did you get it from MilSims Matt?

I grabbed it because it was cheap over here and OOP everywhere, but really its a pretty half backed game. The first 3/4 are repetitive and dull, and by the time the scenario (haunt) kicks in there are normally only a handful of turns left.

It's a game where that doesn't live up to its concept / ideas.

Yeah, MilSims was my source.

I'm not entirely sure I'll like the game. But like you said, it's OOP everywhere else so I figured I could sell it for a good enough price that buying to try was a risk-free venture.

More
27 Aug 2008 10:39 #10625 by southernman
Matt - I'm sure if you have been breaking out DQ for decades then it sounds like you'll enjoy this game if only for the experience.

And there's a guy over the ether at the other place who has posted another 20 (I think) of his own haunts.

More
27 Aug 2008 12:09 #10632 by SusanR
Sigh. This discussion is taking me back to a time when my group would actually play a fun game like this. It may have flaws and require house rulings on the fly, but man, can it weave a good story. Mike Chapel had to take crap from us for years about being a traitorous little girl. I remember another game where we were running through the house as parts of it were getting sucked into hell or something. Good times.

More
27 Aug 2008 12:51 #10634 by Shellhead
I understand that some people may find the first half of the game to be nothing but an extended setup time, but I always get a kick out of exploring the House. The room tiles look great, and the layout is never the same from one game to the next. Also, thanks to the event cards, the first half of the game tends to have a ghost theme, which I like.

These days, I never suggest playing Betrayal, but it still hits the table from time to time because somebody else wants to play. I don't mind, because I generally enjoy it. It's just that there are other games that I want to play more often.

More
31 Aug 2008 11:17 #10837 by Spanish Inquisition
This game is always an adventure. Sometimes it's a fun adventure with your friends, and sometimes it's like being lost in the Bronx... Not for those who need to prove to their friends how smart they are.

More
31 Aug 2008 19:53 #10848 by billyz
The funny thing is, that as much as I hate playing Betrayal, I love playing Werewolf-- a game that gets seriously cranked around these parts.

So, meh, what do I know.

More
01 Sep 2008 06:42 #10856 by Mr Skeletor
Who hates werewolf?

More
01 Sep 2008 08:16 #10858 by Citadel
I think a respected professional reviewer may have described it as Duck, Duck, Goose for nerds.

More
01 Sep 2008 14:14 #10863 by Schweig!
Werewolf is not a game, it's a popularity contest with an occasional polygraph moment.

More
01 Sep 2008 17:52 #10867 by Stephen Avery
Betrayal totally rocks and is a "Will always play" game for me. Its got a great narrative quality and is head and shoulders above any other horror game out there. No ther game incorperates the descriptive elements into the gameplay with the exception of perhaps Arkham.

I second Shwieg!s assessment of werewolf completely though even a popularity contest can be fun if with the right crowd. It is incredibly redundant though and not that fufilling even when you manage to manipulate popular opinion.

Steve"Viva La Betrayal"Avery

More
01 Sep 2008 18:18 #10868 by Schweig!
Stephen Avery wrote:

Its got a great narrative quality and is head and shoulders above any other horror game out there.

I agree with this. Reading the "Jonah's Turn" event was the only time I ever felt horror in a board game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds