October 09, 2023
2477 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2682 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Any chance FFG makes an expansion for DungeonQuest?

More
16 Feb 2012 22:27 #116743 by scissors
I like the ffg version just fine. we play the classic combat system. it would have been cool to have more original monsters than the terrinoth gang - they could have made somehing really unique in their catalogue and i fail to see the need why the brand needed to be shored up by this particular game - but i dont see it as a disaster. by all means bring on the expansion.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Feb 2012 22:57 #116748 by Space Ghost
yeah, I will never understand the nerdrage over this -- I have the original and love it. The original is cooler for several reasons -- cards the shape of coffins, lanterns, corpses, and doors being on top of that list.

As for gameplay though, it is damn near identical. As mads said, you would have never noticed if you hadn't played the original. Most people haven't, so it gets back to the randomness of it all. I think that the modern "hobbyist" doesn't like that in their games....whatever. It is a fun game.

It does have strong points though. It integrated the Catacombs better than the original and it also integrated wandering monsters too. I always thought it was weird in the original when you got killed by a monster (or fled a monster) that it didn't stay on the board.
The following user(s) said Thank You: kookoobah

More
16 Feb 2012 23:51 #116753 by kookoobah
I still find the combat thematically weird, but whatever. This game really feels like it needs an expansioon, like MEQ, but I don't think we're going to get one. I'd buy both those expansions in a snap.

DQ is good for laughs, and the slow combat doesn't really do it favors since a game like this should just flow faster. I don't know why they had this weird combat system here, it feels like a dumbed down version of MEQ combat, which I thought was great.

More
17 Feb 2012 03:18 #116765 by Not Sure
The combat system is a weirdo, and I agree with whoever first said they thought FFG had it kicking around the parts pile and wedged it in there.

That said, we've had plenty of fun with the new edition, and it being lambasted by the no-fun crowd is stupid. However, watching it get tons of hate from the fun crowd here baffles me too.

If you don't have one, get one and enjoy it. If you have an old one, keep playing it. I promise to stay off your lawn. If you don't like the card combat, try the variants.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dair, cdennett

More
17 Feb 2012 14:57 #116803 by Egg Shen
Yea, I also don't agree with all the hate the game gets. As I said before the new edition has flaws (mainly the combat system), but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have fun playing it.

DungeonQuest is certainly an archaic design, but that is what I like about it. You have little control over what is happening and you go into it knowing you're probably gonna die. DungeonQuest is designed like a classic quarter munching arcade machine. You play it over and over again, knowing that it is purposely designed to fuck you over... Yet you keep going to get a better score. That was a big turning point for us. Once we started keeping track of high scores the stakes got higher and deadlier. People will do extra dumb shit in the name of "one upping" their friends.

If the card combat has scared you off then rest easy knowing that the combat variants FFG posted online are easy to implement and completely fix the game. The game is still heaps of fun. Plus pointing and laughing at your friend who fell down a bottomless pit on turn 1 never gets old. How many games have come out since DQ that let you do that?

More
17 Feb 2012 15:04 #116804 by san il defanso
To my mind, Dungeonquest just seems like a bad choice for an FFG reprint. If they hadn't changed anything, I doubt the game would have been that much more successful for them, because it's just not that kind of game. It's a lot like Tales of the Arabian Nights, which a good example of a reprint that did everything right and still didn't become a huge hit. Those numbers weren't bad for Z-Man, but I can't imagine it would cut the mustard at FFG. The shift in setting and combat also turned off the people who needed to be behind this game the most to make it succeed. Not to say those were bad moves (still haven't played it yet), but that's how I see it.

And although I don't have a problem with moving the game to Terrinoth, it probably set up a lot of expectations for what kind of game it was. All of the other Terrinoth games are fairly involved, long titles. Dungeonquest sticks out like a sore thumb, and I wonder if the new combat was an attempt to try to make the game a little more in-tune with the world it's supposed to inhabit.

If the game is successful enough to stay in print, I wonder if it will ever get a "second edition" which is just plain ol' Dungeonquest. They've done this a couple of times recently with other lesser titles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

More
17 Feb 2012 15:56 #116814 by VonTush
I think an expansion, if it added in the "right" things, could make me go out and buy both the base game and expansion. FFG to me didn't improve the game...They just took a lateral shift with it for me so I felt no need to get the new version.

More
17 Feb 2012 16:26 - 17 Feb 2012 16:28 #116817 by Egg Shen

San Il Defanso wrote: To my mind, Dungeonquest just seems like a bad choice for an FFG reprint. If they hadn't changed anything, I doubt the game would have been that much more successful for them, because it's just not that kind of game. It's a lot like Tales of the Arabian Nights, which a good example of a reprint that did everything right and still didn't become a huge hit. Those numbers weren't bad for Z-Man, but I can't imagine it would cut the mustard at FFG. The shift in setting and combat also turned off the people who needed to be behind this game the most to make it succeed. Not to say those were bad moves (still haven't played it yet), but that's how I see it.

That's a pretty solid point. I think a better comparison might actually be Talisman though. You have to believe that the success of that game factored into their thoughts of acquiring and publishing DungeonQuest.

So why does Talisman, a very random, chaotic and archaic design do well for them and DQ does not? They both have a similar "pedigree", but one is clearly selling better than the other. Talisman 4th Edition was basically a reprint of earlier editions with minor rule tweaks and optional new rules (like fate). It was also helped by being lauded by many vocal Ameritrash lovers. Talisman also kept its own setting. In fact it used the same characters as well as adventure cards (with minor tweaks). So like Tales of the Arabian Nights the new Talisman kept things pretty much the same but unlike TotAN it was able to be a successful new edition for FFG. I think the style of game that TotAN is (a paragraph storybook game) had more to do with it not becoming a runaway hit rather than the quality of the reprint.

So that leads me to believe that in the event of highly hyped reprint like DungeonQuest, gamers want the option of playing the old game. Look at the recently published Wiz War. They have made tweaks and changes to the gameplay, but have kept all the old rules just in case people wanted the classic experience. They also did not muck with the setting.

I think the setting change in DungeonQuest coupled with the mandatory rule changes did not sit well with purists. People wanted to see snotlings, Chaos Warriors and things like that. Just like how Talisman kept things the same only while only doing an overhaul to the artwork. The lack of including the original rules in the base game was a huge miscalculation on FFG's part.

So you had the DQ lovers hating on the new version coupled with the most BGG user shitting all over it. I think from the get go the game was just lambasted with negative buzz. It was probably never able to recover from that. Which is really a shame because the reprint is pretty damn enjoyable once you get past its flaws. FFG should have handled it differently and that is why I think an expansion could fix alot of the damage they did to themselves. It has been almost two years since DQ was released so I'm not really holding my breath that they will expand it.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2012 16:28 by Egg Shen.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

More
17 Feb 2012 16:39 - 17 Feb 2012 16:45 #116821 by Mr. White

VonTush wrote: I think an expansion, if it added in the "right" things, could make me go out and buy both the base game and expansion. FFG to me didn't improve the game...They just took a lateral shift with it for me so I felt no need to get the new version.

This is where I am. One $25 expansion away from snapping up the DQ base and expansion.

Regarding Talisman, I wonder where its sales are at atm. I recall the latest expansion (Dragon) getting lukewarm reviews (apparently made the game real fiddly), but I know it was selling for like $12 on Amazon. That plus the amount of BGG users commenting on the Talisman expansions drops considerably each time. The Dragon expansion only has 32 comments, whereas the base game has over 1000. For an expansion that mixes up the play as much as it supposedly does...that's not a good sign.

So, will the other two corner boards come out? Did the little/big/little/big, etc expansion approach tap out the fanbase? Personally, I'm only in for the mini expansions (don't like the extra spaces the corner boards add, reduces pvp) but I'd like to see Talisman at least complete the cycle rather than fade away.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2012 16:45 by Mr. White.

More
17 Feb 2012 16:57 - 17 Feb 2012 16:58 #116825 by san il defanso
Maybe part of Tales of the Arabian Nights' problem was that it was never THAT big a hit to begin with. It's always had its fans, but not to the same extent as old GW games.

To my mind, Talisman was always marketed more towards fans of the original, and to non-gamers in general. When I go to the store, the people playing Talisman are the same people who play Munchkin. That's not a statement of quality, but it does indicate the type of consumer who will buy Talisman. To be successful, Dungeonquest should have been pitched at the same crowd.

But setting it in Terrinoth showed that they were probably gearing it more towards fans of that IP, rather than people who don't really care about Terrinoth in the first place. That's all well and good, but Terrinoth fans aren't the type of people who love goofy games like Dungeonquest. Then with the new combat, fans of the original are now against your reprint. So it's neither fish nor fowl.

I agree, a Dungeonquest expansion that basically makes it more like the original would be great. I'd gladly pay for that.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2012 16:58 by san il defanso.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.191 seconds