October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Any chance FFG makes an expansion for DungeonQuest?

More
17 Feb 2012 21:57 - 17 Feb 2012 21:59 #116877 by ubarose
I don't own a copy of the original, and I haven't played it in about 3 years. I don't know exactly what it was about the original that is missing from the FFG version, but something about the original just made it more intuitive and funnier. Maybe it was just the language and the graphics.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but in the original when you encountered a monster you had a choice between 'attack', 'run away', or 'wait and see'. 'Wait and see' gave you the possibility that the monster would run away. It also gave you the possibility that the monster would attack first and do some damage. I can't remember how that was resolved. But it doesn't really matter. The point is, that having the choice to 'run away' and 'wait and see' is funnier than just being able to choose between attack or escape. The combat cards were 'Mighty Blow,' 'Jump Aside' and i think 'Slash.' 'Mighty Blow' and 'Jump Aside' are both funnier and more intuitive than what they have now. That's easily resolved by making my own cards.

I remember the names of the monsters being more iconic. Anyway, the entire tone of the game was far sillier. It's small stuff, but it feels like FFG kind of missed the point of the game. They kind of made it all more serious.

Anyway, when I played the FFG version, I was really wanting to like it, but it just wasn't as fun, and I can't think of why, other then these trivial things. But there it is.
Last edit: 17 Feb 2012 21:59 by ubarose.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2012 05:24 #116940 by san il defanso
Well, we finally played tonight, new combat and all. Now keep in mind that I have never played any form of Dungeonquest before at all.

I loved it.

After everything that happens, you can just hear the rimshot. It's like every new thing that happens is a punchline. And it absolutely does a good job of just being silly and fun. I'm a little surprised how much I enjoyed it, actually.

As for the combat, I think that the tales of its suckitude have been severely overstated. I can see how the wrong people would sit there hemming and hawing over what card to play, but it's not rocket science. Just play the biggest one. Counter-attack if you can, move on. We played it really quick, and it never took much more than maybe 5 minutes to resolve. I can see how it's a little to complex in execution for this type of game, but it just didn't bother me much. So take that how you will.

But yeah, I had a ball.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mr Skeletor, scissors, wice, Egg Shen, cdennett

More
20 Feb 2012 16:22 #117009 by VonTush

San Il Defanso wrote: As for the combat, I think that the tales of its suckitude have been severely overstated...

...I can see how it's a little to complex in execution for this type of game, but it just didn't bother me much. So take that how you will.

No one has been saying that the combat system sucked. The arguments I've heard, and that I've made, is that it is a fine combat system, it is just out of place in DQ. And it sounds like you agree with those people at least to some extent. For me the combat wasn't bad...It was distracting and out of place.

Being your first dungeon dive...How long did the overall game take? From rules explanation to packing the game up?

Dragonstout - Uba sums up the missing part of the online "Original" combat. What I liked about that part of combat is that with every option, there was a chance that the monster would run away keeping the game focused on the exploration and trying to make it past all the traps.

More
20 Feb 2012 16:34 #117012 by san il defanso

VonTush wrote:

San Il Defanso wrote: As for the combat, I think that the tales of its suckitude have been severely overstated...

...I can see how it's a little to complex in execution for this type of game, but it just didn't bother me much. So take that how you will.

No one has been saying that the combat system sucked. The arguments I've heard, and that I've made, is that it is a fine combat system, it is just out of place in DQ. And it sounds like you agree with those people at least to some extent. For me the combat wasn't bad...It was distracting and out of place.

Being your first dungeon dive...How long did the overall game take? From rules explanation to packing the game up?

Dragonstout - Uba sums up the missing part of the online "Original" combat. What I liked about that part of combat is that with every option, there was a chance that the monster would run away keeping the game focused on the exploration and trying to make it past all the traps.

From explanation to packing up, it took about an hour in total. This was a three-player game.

I guess I was prepared for combat that broke the flow of the game and bogged everything down. The only real problem I had was that it wasn't as simple to explain as the rest of the game. But as for the time it took to explain, it took just as much time to look up what various tiles did. Both went down to virtually nil by the end of the game.

It really wasn't this "sore thumb" type of thing at all. To this Dungeonquest neophyte, it never felt like it stood our horribly from the rest of the game. Obviously, I couldn't say if it's better or worse having never played the original. But it says something that I didn't feel the need to immediately jump to the original combat after playing.

I can see how some people would overthink it. But if someone is thinking that hard about the combat, they probably are playing the wrong game in the first place.

More
20 Feb 2012 19:17 #117025 by Space Ghost
The combat doesn't take any longer than the original rock/paper/scissors combat -- sometimes, it is even faster.

I do agree with Uba that you don't have the "Wait and See" choice and the monster reaction is gone -- but that has nothing to do with the actual mechanics of combat.

More
20 Feb 2012 21:05 #117041 by san il defanso
I can also understand how some people would think FFG takes the game a little too seriously. But I think the stone-faced seriousness is pretty funny in its own right. I'm like that I guess.

I now find myself really bummed that this hasn't gotten an expansion. In a perfect world, it would get a few more small-box ones, like Talisman. I would probably be on board for most of those.

More
20 Feb 2012 21:14 #117042 by VonTush
SG - You're right...It isn't part of the mechanics to resolve combat, but it is still the first step of the combat process. You have to draw a monster card and resolve the reaction before you can do anything else combat mechanic-wise. No matter the verbal semantics though, it is now gone. I liked that part.

Well this has veered very far off course (thanks in large part to me I suppose) - Sorry about that!

To the topic at hand though - The short PC answer is that "Yes, I hope that FFG releases an expansion for the game because depending on the content included it could entice me to buy both the expansion and base game. Especially if it is of a "patch" type format like the OP describes."

More
20 Feb 2012 21:35 #117048 by Space Ghost
I think we all miss that part -- that would be a perfect addition to an expansion, with more monsters and general ways to die, of course.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds