October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Rex is actually pretty awful

More
13 Mar 2012 15:39 #119135 by Ken B.

Jeff White wrote: One can currently pick up Rex from B&N for about $35 shipped.

Not bad.

Yeah, I jumped in on that one, couldn't resist. Looks like I'll be giving this the review treatment a little ways down the road.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Mar 2012 16:54 #119145 by Dogmatix

Msample wrote: For all those bitching about how expensive it is to buy Dune...I just checked some recent Ebay auctions via BGG. I saw copies in VG condition that sold very recently for $60-70. Sure it's more expensive than buying Rex from a mail order place but I was surprised, I thought it would be more expensive.

Yea, the price cratered a couple of years ago and pretty much stayed there ever since. "Sting box" copies were going for $50-$60 on ebay. $70 seems to be top-dollar for anything but the French edition. That one can still run $100+. I paid $45 for my VG-ish "Sting" set...

More
13 Mar 2012 17:28 #119149 by Michael Barnes
The reality of it is that Dune has NEVER been exceptionally valuable or rare. There's ALWAYS copies in circulation, and although the prices can swing anywhere north of $50 but south of $100, we're not talking about a $200, $300 game here. Never have been. It's hardly as rare as something like Up Front, Borderlands, or even Magic Realm.

It's almsot kind of a myth that Dune is "hard to find". Sure, in a world without Ebay, BGG, or F:AT it might be...or if you're holding out for a $5 thrift copy.

Ironically, it's probably about as easy to buy a copy of Dune as it is to buy a copy of Rex.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

More
13 Mar 2012 17:32 #119150 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: The reality of it is that Dune has NEVER been exceptionally valuable or rare. There's ALWAYS copies in circulation, and although the prices can swing anywhere north of $50 but south of $100, we're not talking about a $200, $300 game here. Never have been. It's hardly as rare as something like Up Front, Borderlands, or even Magic Realm.

It's almsot kind of a myth that Dune is "hard to find". Sure, in a world without Ebay, BGG, or F:AT it might be...or if you're holding out for a $5 thrift copy.

Ironically, it's probably about as easy to buy a copy of Dune as it is to buy a copy of Rex.

Current prices at BGG Marketplace and eBay are pretty high right now. Is that a reaction against Rex?

More
13 Mar 2012 17:34 #119152 by Disgustipater
I spent more money making my PnP version than it would have cost me on to buy an original on eBay, but the original art/components make me want to gouge my eyes out from a usability standpoint. Everything about Ilya's PnP version is better, in my opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
13 Mar 2012 17:56 #119154 by Shellhead
Damn this thread. I finally bought Dune, a couple of minutes ago. I saw a first edition set in "very good" condition at Amazon, missing just one black circular token. At $69.99 + $3.99, it was probably cheaper than if I tried to make my own set, and I know I don't have the skills to make a really nice homebrew copy like some of those on display at BGG.

More
13 Mar 2012 18:34 - 13 Mar 2012 18:36 #119158 by san il defanso

Michael Barnes wrote: The reality of it is that Dune has NEVER been exceptionally valuable or rare. There's ALWAYS copies in circulation, and although the prices can swing anywhere north of $50 but south of $100, we're not talking about a $200, $300 game here. Never have been. It's hardly as rare as something like Up Front, Borderlands, or even Magic Realm.

This has not been the case in my experience. Not that it counts for much, but there it is. Every time I've bid on a copy of Dune from eBay, it's ended up going for over $100. And since every BGG user thinks they are Troll & Toad, everyone wants at least $90 for their copy there.

I still might make my own copy of the original, since I think it'd be cool to have that.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2012 18:36 by san il defanso.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wice

More
13 Mar 2012 22:48 #119197 by DukeofChutney
i just watched a copy of dune go for twice the price of a copy of up front on ebay uk. Dune went for £77 (around $100 i guess), upfront for just over £30 ($40-50).

I'd say in the Uk atleast Dune is hard to get hold of, and you wont get it as cheap as Rex

More
13 Mar 2012 23:12 #119198 by Ancient_of_MuMu

Shellhead wrote: Damn this thread. I finally bought Dune, a couple of minutes ago. I saw a first edition set in "very good" condition at Amazon, missing just one black circular token. At $69.99 + $3.99, it was probably cheaper than if I tried to make my own set, and I know I don't have the skills to make a really nice homebrew copy like some of those on display at BGG.

Having made a PnP copy of Dune and Merchant of Venus, I have to say that Dune is pretty much a 0 level skill in PnP. Buy some wooden tokens online in the right colours for armies and spice. You order a bunch of cards from Artscow and you are 95% there. The only things requiring a modicum of skill are the board and the player shields. The board I had printed and glued to a thrift store board and the shields need to be printed and glued to thick card. It wasn't a hugely difficult task.

More
13 Mar 2012 23:36 #119199 by DeletedUser

Ancient_of_MuMu wrote: Having made a PnP copy of Dune and Merchant of Venus, I have to say that Dune is pretty much a 0 level skill in PnP. Buy some wooden tokens online in the right colours for armies and spice. You order a bunch of cards from Artscow and you are 95% there. The only things requiring a modicum of skill are the board and the player shields. The board I had printed and glued to a thrift store board and the shields need to be printed and glued to thick card. It wasn't a hugely difficult task.

I've never ever considered doing a PnP copy of a game before, but you've almost got me convinced to give this a try. I'm guessing the templates are over on BGG? Are there different versions of PnP for Dune or just one largely accepted PnP version?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.358 seconds