October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2692 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Rex is actually pretty awful

More
13 Mar 2012 23:50 #119201 by Disgustipater

Death and Taxis wrote: Are there different versions of PnP for Dune or just one largely accepted PnP version?

There's two main ones.

Ilya's version :

And Scott Everts' version :

The following user(s) said Thank You: DeletedUser

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Mar 2012 00:06 - 14 Mar 2012 00:07 #119204 by Ancient_of_MuMu
There are 2 good versions of Dune, Illya's and Scott's. I prefer Scott's so it is the one I made, but many prefer Illya's. Just search for the relevant threads which have links to the files.

EDIT: scooped by Disgustipater
Last edit: 14 Mar 2012 00:07 by Ancient_of_MuMu.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, DeletedUser

More
14 Mar 2012 11:54 #119236 by Matt Thrower

Michael Barnes wrote: Motheragod y'all, can't I please use the Internet properly to overstate my case to make Matt look even more wrong than he already is?

Ah but you see I'm not. I own a copy of Dune and I've played it several times. It's one of those games where I can totally see the greatness, even if I don't entirely agree - I'd still recommend anyone to try it out if they have the chance. And I still like Dune, I just don't love it: given six people and six hours, I'd probably rather play a couple of games of Mare Nostrum, or maybe TI3.

dragonstout wrote: In both of those cases, yes, when you screw up, it's because *you* screwed up, not because you rolled poorly or anything else: but simply because you didn't have a good enough read on your opponent.

Yeah but that's just it: the decisions are all yours to make and you have little or nothing to go on, especially early in the game, and I just find the tension of trying to do that nigh-on unbearable and tremendously frustrating when you get it wrong. As I said it doesn't help that you can make one bad call and effectively knock yourself out of a long, long game just because you misread a bead of sweat or something. Rex's shorter play time is therefore very appealing to me.

Although I'm wondering if you could leverage the round limit and increased movement & resources into the original and thus keep the theme but cut down the time.

More
14 Mar 2012 15:47 #119262 by MattFantastic
I think both of those PnP versions look plastic and soulless. Maps are nice but that's about it.

LeDune wins for me overall though I prefer the leaders from the original AH version.

More
14 Mar 2012 15:55 - 14 Mar 2012 15:55 #119265 by Malloc
We have a well made copy of the ilya version and it is awesome. When compared to even the Le' Dune version it blows them away.

I have not played Rex, but i have heard enough to keep me from buying it before it inevitably ends up in the discount bin.

Here are the questions I have about it.

1) is it true that allies win along side people like the guild, when they win with the racial or via the time limit? If yes then 8 turns is too short.

2) why no bad cards on the bid? I meant this is big in Dune and one of the things that the Bene G's need to work. (they are all Karama for them)

3) I thought we were getting a different game..... it looks like we are getting a watered down version of a good game... like the American version of Top Gear... it just isn't the same.

IMHO there really is nothing wrong with Dune, so unless Rex was way different I am not interested in it... its the same reason why I am not interested in games that say they are shorter versions of TI3.... I don't want less Ti3, I don't want less Dune.

-M
Last edit: 14 Mar 2012 15:55 by Malloc.

More
14 Mar 2012 17:38 #119282 by dragonstout
I don't get, what is it people like about Le Dune? The board looks ass, the player shield art is way worse than the AH art, the leaders look worse, etc. Is it just that the board is bigger or something?

My PnP copy of Dune I'm finishing up is basically identical to the Avalon Hill version, but more pimped out: board is way bigger, spice is glass beads, armies are wooden tokens. Cards are the ScottE version, because they keep the original AH art but have text to explain what they do; I tried printing out an exact replica of the AH cards that someone posted to Artscow, which is what I'd prefer, but they turned out to be too low-res for me. I've got Bene Gesserit prediction cards and a traitor deck.

My big problem now is that due to some poor planning, I need 4 pieces of 14" x 14" chipboard, if anyone has any connections...it's impossible to find it at that size (or larger) online without buying in bulk

More
14 Mar 2012 18:00 #119284 by Shellhead

dragonstout wrote: I don't get, what is it people like about Le Dune? The board looks ass, the player shield art is way worse than the AH art, the leaders look worse, etc. Is it just that the board is bigger or something?

I believe that Le Dune includes the expansion sets. I don't see that as a plus. The Spice Harvest one throws off the initial game balance, and the Duel rules unbalance the rest of the game.

More
14 Mar 2012 20:02 - 14 Mar 2012 20:05 #119305 by dragonstout
Yeah, I didn't think anyone played with the expansions. But the two posts right before mine both imply that Le Dune is somehow some high bar to be measured against.

Pretty much I think Avalon Hill has the best art of all the vesions (including Ilya's), but is actually unpleasant to play with from a component quality/size point of view.
Last edit: 14 Mar 2012 20:05 by dragonstout.

More
14 Mar 2012 20:16 #119307 by Gary Sax
Is Le Dune Ilya's or the other one?

More
14 Mar 2012 20:16 #119308 by wadenels
There's also Dirt Cheap Dune . It isn't fancy, but all you need is some paper & black ink. Took me a couple hours to build, but I don't have a group of six right now to try it with.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds