October 09, 2023
2494 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

You Need To Get Your Priorities Straight (Length)

More
13 Apr 2012 15:07 - 13 Apr 2012 15:12 #122794 by SuperflyPete
So, of late I've gathered quite the pile of vintage DOAM games, I mean, not like Chapel or anything, but quite a few.

I love the old-school 1977 looks of them, I like the smell of must and "wisdom". I'll admit it, I think that the games 30 years ago were generally of a higher caliber than those of today. Call it nostalgia (although I never played many of these back in the day) or whatnot, but there's more game in a Dark World or Dungeonquest or Axis and Allies than in 99% of the gut-rot tripe issued forth by the publishers and Krapstarters of this current "era".

I always kind of thought to myself that it was a matter of taste or some such thing, but really, it's more than that. Our priorities have changed.

In this interconnected world where Facebook is literally sucking the productivity out of Western businesses as their employees comment about the latest Miley Cyrus wardrobe malfunction, people simply do not have any time to screw around anymore. And this is everything: That burger had better launch through the drive through window as if Roger Clemens had tossed it or your whole night is ruined. God forbid the fries are cold.

And while I was stroking my new Buck Rogers Battle for the 25th Century lovingly, I noticed that something was missing. Now, generally, if you notice something missing from your box, you're going to be a little pissed. And after I tell you what was missing, maybe you will be. But I smiled.

On the side of the box there is absolutely no reference as to HOW LONG this game will take to play. I perused the rules, and I didn't see any reference either, but I might have missed that, although it's beside the point.

Then I started looking at some of my other old-schoolery. Almost NONE have this piece of information that has become a crucial decision point for virtually every game on earth. And it explains a lot.

Quality doesn't matter as much anymore. All the cult of the new cares about, with their ultraconnected crackberries and constantly tweeting smartphones chirping away at the game table, is if they can squeeze just enough time into their already-overloaded lives to play the latest newshinyprecious.

Back in the day, if someone said they got a new blackberry, it would be in a pie. If someone said they wanted to get an IPad, there would be hushed giggles and references to menstruation. And back in the day, people didn't give a shit how long it took to play a game. Because it was an event.

Games today are throw-away experiences, barely memorable for a few weeks. Back in the day, it was an event of unparallelled importance, with the fate of an entire world being determined by the skill of the armchair generals and hanging in the balance.

Monopoly cannot exist today because people can't tolerate open-ended timeframes on games anymore. There's just not enough time in the week for a group of friends to sit down and beat the piss out of one another without knowing, up front, how long it will take. And that's a bit sad, to me.

Maybe we need to get our priorities straight. Maybe game night should be an event, rather than a simple exercise in "how do we get 4 people to sit in a room and not be bored for exactly X hours?"

That is all.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2012 15:12 by SuperflyPete.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle, Rliyen, dragonstout

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Apr 2012 15:16 #122799 by san il defanso
I have a friend of mine who insists that the best games start at 3 hours, and for the most part I agree with him. There's a lovely arc that happens when you play a long game. You aren't just playing some ol' game anymore, you're actually spending a lot of time with good friends. There's a weird intimacy that happens when we play a game. That sound strange, but it's there. You agree to spend a certain amount of time together, and you essentially agree to not be a douche to each other for a little while. Not only that, but you're personality comes through when you play games. It shows people who you are, and that's a vulnerable place to be. That's why we get so annoyed with people who "suck" at being fun. They are taking all the wrong parts seriously.

That's why long games can be so awesome. It allows you to go deeper into that "contract" with each other, and the results can be a more enjoyable session.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xerxes, Notahandle, repoman, mikecl

More
13 Apr 2012 15:25 #122801 by mikoyan
My biggest complaint about modern games is that just as things are going swimmingly, the game ends. In Agricola, it seems like as soon as feeding your family ceases to be an issue, the game is over. It seems like you spend the whole game building the infrastructure and you only get to see it in use for 1 or 2 turns. although for some games, I'm glad about that.

Last long game I played was a game of 2nd Fleet with my friend. It has been a couple years now and I hope that we can do it again at some point. He was the Soviets and pummeled my Fleet but I had the Carrier Group working its way up past Iceland...sadly a truce was signed. But I love the story arc of that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
13 Apr 2012 15:32 #122803 by SuperflyPete
That's kind of what I'm saying, about the "story". I mean, yeah, I like Agricola, but only because it's a truncated version of Farmville. But like Miko said, just when you're pretty happy with your awesome little farm, it's over. The story cut short. So, you play again.

But you play Twilight Imperium 2, it's an EVENT. You're planting your arse for 4-5 hours duking it out and determining the fate of an entire galaxy. You couldn't even LOCATE Miko's farm from orbit, because it's that insignificant.

And there's a story.

More
13 Apr 2012 15:35 #122804 by Chapel
Shoot, that is my forte are DOAM and Civ games. Probably the only part of me that is F:AT. The issue I have with some of the older titles is sometimes they tend to drag on. More of a cyclical drag than because of content. Doing the same thing over and over again with not much gain. Which is why I LOATHE Risk. I need more mechanisms, more ways to destroy my opponents other than make a wall of stuff, then push stuff forward. There are some cool aspects in newer(and I use that term relatively) DOAM kind of games. Wars of the Roses, Olympos, Colonial, Manifest Destiny, Moongha, Imperial. All really cool DOAM/EURO hybrids that all bring really interesting things to the table.

So in answer to you question, I really don't care how LONG a game is, as long as it keeps those hours interesting.

More
13 Apr 2012 15:41 #122805 by QPCloudy

mikoyan wrote: My biggest complaint about modern games is that just as things are going swimmingly, the game ends. In Agricola, it seems like as soon as feeding your family ceases to be an issue, the game is over. It seems like you spend the whole game building the infrastructure and you only get to see it in use for 1 or 2 turns. although for some games, I'm glad about that.

I agree. This is just a card game, but in Ascension, you spend all this time building your deck, and just when it gets running well, bam game over. I usually use 80 vp instead of the standard 60 for a 2p game. Keeps it going a little longer so more fun can be had playing all those combolicious cards.

As for time being a deciding factor, just last night I had a real inkling to play Arkham Horror (it has been nearly a full year since my last play), but no one wanted to pull it out because they knew we would be sitting there playing the same game for four hours. Oh well, maybe some day I will be able to play it again, or at least trade it for something that will hit the table more often.

More
13 Apr 2012 15:41 - 13 Apr 2012 15:43 #122806 by Disgustipater
A couple weeks ago I went to a game store and set up Dune with a friend of mine, hoping to snag a few extra players while we waited for a couple of friends to show up. Two different people came up and first asked what game it was (being a PnP copy, not exactly clear), and their immediate next question was, "How long will it take?" Knowing what they really meant, I said, "More than an hour." Both responses were basically along the lines of, "Oh, I can't handle a game that lasts more than a hour."

As I looked away in disgust, I said to my friend, "Most of my favorite games are several hours long." He nodded in agreement.

I'm kind of pissed I didn't notice a local store is holding a TI3 session (I've never played) until it was already full. It booked 8 hours for it. I was so excited too.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2012 15:43 by Disgustipater.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Notahandle

More
13 Apr 2012 15:42 #122807 by san il defanso
I've looked at long games the same way I look at long movies. Not EVERY movie should be long, but it's nice to know that we aren't always in a hurry.

More
13 Apr 2012 15:46 #122809 by Shellhead
Most of my favorite games take at least three hours to play. And I agree that a long game can be a more relaxing, enjoyable experience. Instead of constant pressure to hurry up and win and start the next short game, you can kick back and hang out. Downtime isn't a big problem when you are playing with real friends, because you can talk about anything while waiting on other players.

However, not every game should be a long game. There are some perfectly decent games that clock in around one hour to 90 minutes, and stretching them out longer would only make them less fun.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen, san il defanso

More
13 Apr 2012 15:49 - 13 Apr 2012 17:03 #122811 by QPCloudy

Shellhead wrote: However, not every game should be a long game. There are some perfectly decent games that clock in around one hour to 90 minutes, and stretching them out longer would only make them less fun.

My little brother, 15 years old, has never played "hobby" games before. Yesterday he spent the day out our place and he, my wife, and I played games all day. His favorite was Adventurers: Temple of Chac played twice, which each game took about an hour to 75 - 80 minutes. We also played Legend of Drizzt, which took the same amount of time as Chac once, also we played a game of Ascension. His favorite was Adventurers, and like I said, we got to play it twice.
Last edit: 13 Apr 2012 17:03 by QPCloudy.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds