October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

"rebooting" of recent games?

More
17 Apr 2012 18:09 #123126 by SuperflyPete

San Il Defanso wrote: I don't think that the Master Set IS a reboot though. It's an expansion, pure and simple.

Originally, you could buy one of two two-pack starters.

Then, you could buy the premium board.

Then you could buy a whole fuckton of expansion packs.

Now, it comes with a box, comes with the bits, comes with 6 new expansions and the board you could buy separately, it has storage to hold all of the other decks (including the original starters).

It's listed as a game, too, not an expansion, in the Summoner Wars family.
boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/93260/summoner-wars-master-set

It's a reboot.

Had Colby the money and the confidence up front to produce this, I'm 100% sure that he would've produced this. But with the limited resources and the huge risk involved, he did the staters and used the model he started with because that was his option.

Now he's established, he's doing it balls-to-the-walls, with the proper board, with a proper box and awesome production values.

Reboot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Apr 2012 18:10 #123127 by SuperflyPete

bfkiller wrote: Isn't the Master Set compatible with previous Summoner Wars releases? If so, it's no more a reboot than something like Dominion: Intrigue or Seaside.

I use the plastic meeples with my Stronghold Survive set. They're the same game. Does that mean that the Survive! set from Stronghold isn't a reboot?

More
17 Apr 2012 18:24 #123129 by san il defanso
Still not buying it Pete, but it's not a point that's worth really hashing out.

I don't really mind reboots anyway, I'm mostly just moaning about the Puzzle Strike do-over because I just bought a set that was supposed to fix it six months ago. New editions and reboots are fine to me. I don't even have a problem with component upgrades either. The 5-6 player expansion for Survive is exactly what it says. Even the Premium Board for Summoner Wars is just a cosmetic upgrade. I'm totally fine with that.

I do wish that publishers would let things settle for a little while before they actually start redoing stuff. Thunderstone is a good example of that. I like the game a lot, but I just can't muster up the interest to get into the Advance line because I quite literally just got into the old game in the past few months.

More
17 Apr 2012 19:24 - 17 Apr 2012 19:33 #123134 by SuperflyPete
Not selling it, Nate. Just telling you how it is. I mean, I could probably call Colby and ask him, but he just got back from PAX and he's busy as shit. Probably not worth it to settle some bullshit internet debate that doesn't really account for dick in the grand scheme of things.

I guess I just kind of got it in my head that it's a reboot due to this...
drakesflames.blogspot.com/2011/10/kick-a...w-summoner-wars.html
"If you need an example of how to release a reboot, just take a gander at Plaid Hat Games"
"Some companies, when they want to remake an older-but-successful game, just reprint it, and maybe add some rules. Not the case with Summoner Wars. The new Summoner Wars Master Set can be used as-is to play the game, but it's also a must-have if you're a fan of the game. If you've never bought any Summoner Wars, the Master Set is a great place to jump in, and if you're already a fan, you're going to want it badly enough to donate sperm..."

www.gameshark.com/features/867/p_10/Crac...aster-Set-Review.htm
"This is a $50 big-box product that doesn’t just repackage the game in a different format, but it also introduces six all-new factions along with a 2.0 rules set and a mounted board instead of the shoddy paper maps of the starter sets."

"But for right now the Master Set is a victory lap for Plaid Hat Games, a celebration of a great game that those who appreciate its refined design will enjoy for years to come."

fortressat.com/index.php/reviews-toc/291...all-legend-of-drizzt

"I'll be honest, when I first heard that Summoner Wars was getting a Deluxe Master Set, I assumed that it would likely take the same tact as other boardgaming companies would. That is, print a bigger box and a mounted board, reprint some of the exisiting starter armies and pack them in, and oh, slap a couple of new "starter exclusive" armies just to compel those sitting on the fence to actually sink the coin just for two new armies.

With Plaid Hat Games, I should have known better. The Summoner Wars Master Set is a boxed set made by a gamer, for gamers. Made by a gamer who understands the term "value", a word tossed around far too easily in the modern boardgaming marketplace."

Anyhow, I dig reboots. If something was good once, and someone breathes new life into it, shit, there's no downside. You don't dig it, don't buy it. Creative people creating something new, fresh, and exciting, even if it's not my particular cup of tea, is always better than not making anything positive.
Last edit: 17 Apr 2012 19:33 by SuperflyPete.

More
17 Apr 2012 19:45 #123137 by QPCloudy
People were RAVING about Puzzle Strike months ago, now it needs "fixed" wtf are you people talking about. It's like me loving the hell out of Temple of Chac, then in a month or two saying it needs fixed.

More
17 Apr 2012 19:55 #123138 by OldHippy
Puzzle Strike does not need a fix. The game is fine as is. It is true that most strategies rely too heavily on the purple chips but that's only until you understand the game... apparently it's also true that some characters are too powerfull against certain other characters. But it's at such a deep level of play that I cannot attest to it's truth. The upgrade pack introduced a plus action chip that would improve the game and more balanced versions of the characters... that's the "fix" people are talking about but you'd have to be pretty anal to think it's neccessary. The game is great right out of the box.

More
17 Apr 2012 20:01 - 17 Apr 2012 20:09 #123140 by bfkiller
Pete, a reboot involves stopping something and then starting it anew. Reboots pretty much replace the original. Previous Summoner Wars sets aren't "stopped" or replaced. I just got the Master Set and I plan on (eventually) getting the previous Summoner Wars games. I also own Dominion: Intrigue, and will probably also get the original Dominion someday. Like the Master Set, Intrigue is an expansion that also acts as a standalone game. The Master Set is unique in that it's got more and better components than the original, but it's still one of those new breeds of expansions that can be played by itself.

(Perhaps "another member of a family of games" is a more accurate way to describe the Master Set or the various Dominion sets than reboot or expansion.)
Last edit: 17 Apr 2012 20:09 by bfkiller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dair, wice

More
17 Apr 2012 20:40 #123144 by SuperflyPete
I totally disagree. But again, why are you two dying to be right? I disagree. We can agree to disagree, as friends.

More
17 Apr 2012 20:53 - 17 Apr 2012 20:57 #123147 by bfkiller

SuperflyTNT wrote: I totally disagree. But again, why are you two dying to be right? I disagree. We can agree to disagree, as friends.

Uh, where do you get that I am dying to be right any more or less than you?

The title of the thread says "rebooting" but people are using the word differently. Makes the conversation kinda awkward if people aren't on the same page at the outset. Anyways, I'm using this as my definition:

dictionary.com wrote: reboot definition

A term that comes from computer usage. To reboot a computer is to start it up again after a computer crash. Hence, “reboot” has the connotation of starting a process over again.

Last edit: 17 Apr 2012 20:57 by bfkiller.

More
17 Apr 2012 21:14 #123148 by SuperflyPete
Fair enough.

In my mind, a reboot is any situation where a item is being re-imagined, dead or alive, or it's being reiterated in some fashion or another. This can be a brand as well, like when McDonalds "rebooted" their entire operations and marketing efforts which resulted in the McCafe style restaurant.

Something doesn't need to be dead to be rebooted, it just needs to be underdeveloped or underperforming. Or both.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, stormseeker75

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds