October 09, 2023
2498 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2702 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Recent trades

More
06 Nov 2012 03:05 #137285 by Jackwraith
Recent trades was created by Jackwraith
So I've actually had some success recently on the BGG trading front. As many of you know, the community there is normally subsumed by an interesting form of inertia in that respect ("I'll never play this game again and it's been sitting on my shelf for 3 years, untouched, but unless you offer me something where I feel like I'm getting a steal, no deal.") But things have turned up a bit lately.

I traded Conquest of Planet Earth for Tribune and its expansion. I liked Conquest as kind of a light and hokey 50s SF game, but my group was "meh" on it and there are so many other options in the game pile that I knew it wouldn't get played again. The guy I traded with (local, so that was cool) was in the same frame of mind about Tribune. If I play a Euro these days, it has to have something to keep me interested in terms of theme. Yes, I'm applying an Ameritrash philosophy to Eurogames. I'll play Ra because I like both the gambling nature of forcing an auction and the vague references to ancient Egypt. By the same token, I like Tribune because it's drenched in Roman history (a favorite of mine) and has varying endings and plenty of player interaction. I don't think the expansion adds much, but it was a throw-in on a deal I would have made, anyway.

I traded Touch of Evil and its expansion for Middle-Earth Quest. There was nothing inherently wrong with Touch of Evil but it just didn't have the shine for me that similar games like Talisman and Runebound do. It's a roll-and-move and draw a card and simply seemed more "stiff" than either of those others does. I've read a lot of the praise and subsequent criticism here for MEQ and I agree that it seems like it's a bit overwrought in terms of detail... but I LOVE that shit! I love games like Here I Stand and Siege of Jerusalem, so I'm certainly going to fall right in line for a game that strikes those same chords in the world of Tolkien. I'm not overly fond of the one vs. all format (I think it works in Descent, but can cause problems) but I'm won over by the fact that it's so drenched in lore. I'm predicting that my group will be lukewarm on this one, unfortunately.

I traded Monsters Menace America for Crown and Glory, the expansion to Warrior Knights. In that respect, I kinda did give someone a steal by trading a full game for a small expansion, but I'm of the opinion that if the game isn't going to hit the table (and Monsters wasn't), it's worth less to me than the expansion that will. One member of our group is just not into most things that are wargame-oriented and I did not expect Warrior Knights to appeal at all. But she loves it and Crown and Glory does nothing but enhance the base game, so I was glad to finally be able to make a trade for it, rather than pay Ebay prices.

And, finally, I traded End of the Triumvirate for Rune Age. I, of course, loved the theme of EotT but after 4 or 5 games, we simply discovered that it's badly unbalanced toward Crassus. His ability to accumulate cash easily outstrips the military prowess of the other two, who must unite to oppose him in the early game to survive. Unfortunately, whomever takes the brunt of that engagement is then left wide open to be backstabbed by the third player, especially near Spain. I like the vast majority of Z-Man's production, but that one just didn't seem to have passed the playtest gauntlet as it should have. Of course, I had kind of avoided Rune Age because it reminded me of the blizzard of M:TG copies that sprang up in the early 90s; almost all of which were simply awful. Dominion is the big hit of the past few years, so now there are deckbuilders aplenty. As much I had and have faith in FFG's productions and Corey's design abilities, and as much as I have everything else from the Runebound universe and love all of it, I just wasn't willing to dip my toe in that one outside of a trade. But having earnestly sat down with the rules and cards, I have to say that I really like it. In contrast to the market leader, everyone has a different approach in the competitive scenarios, just like in Runewars. But, similarly to the market leader, the different scenarios seriously alter the way the game is played in the same way the Dominion's expansions often do. That's great variety in a pretty small package, IMO. I'm not very fond of co-ops these days, but that option is there for those members of my group who are. And, of course, I love the fact that it's a deckbuilder with actual player interaction in at least two of the scenarios. I lack the cash to pick up Oath and Anvil yet, but I'm totally geeked about it and I haven't even played a game of Rune Age (in addition to the idea that the Dwarves and Orcs could be additional factions for Runewars...) Interestingly enough, to date there really haven't been the classic Dwarves or Orcs in the Runebound universe. I kind of expected Beastmen or something, but whatevs. Looks fun and probably will be.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wice, Bull Nakano

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Nov 2012 07:59 #137297 by Bull Nakano
Replied by Bull Nakano on topic Re: Recent trades
Cool idea for a thread.

Jackwraith wrote: I kinda did give someone a steal by trading a full game for a small expansion, but I'm of the opinion that if the game isn't going to hit the table (and Monsters wasn't), it's worth less to me than the expansion that will.

I couldn't agree more. If it's not going to see play price it to move.

I traded a Kosmos 2p game, Kahuna, for The Reaper expansion to Talisman. Having just picked up the Talisman upgrade kit from Ken B. for my BI4ed version, this was the "non-board" expansion I wanted most. Now to rope some folks into playing Talisman.

I traded Mexica and an obscure tile-laying race game called Drivetime for the Netrunner base set and For Sale. I couldn't be happier with that trade. I like Kramer's older designs, but Mexica never made the table and it was probably going to stay that way. I really enjoyed the couple games of Netrunner I've played so far, getting For Sale played should be easy.

I traded another 2p game, Shanghaien, for LOTR: The Confrontation. Another trade I was really excited about, Shanghaien looked kind of awful to me, I just got it because it was cheap and I'm glad I could move it for a game I wanted. This also allows me to push off my deluxe edition, as I tend to value shelf space highly.

I traded Notre Dame and Yinish for Ivanhoe, Small World, and Wise and Otherwise. I'm not super into straight abstracts, right now Blokus and Ingenious is about as deep as I go, and Yinish had the other problem of being in line behind some other great 2p games I'm currently inrerested in playing. W&O seems like my sort of party game, almost an extension of Balderdash or a progenitor to Dixit.

Finally I traded Alea Iacta Est, Atlantis, and Rum and Pirates for 4 Dungeoneer sets and DungeonQuest. SOOOO stoked to get DungeonQuest as I felt like I've offered really good trades to every match on BGG and got shot down. Still not sure how I feel about the Dungeoneer wilderness sets though (which, unfortunate for me, is most of them).

If anybody wants to get some business done, here's my trade list:
boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/schwar...btype=boardgame&ff=1

More
06 Nov 2012 15:31 #137314 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re: Recent trades
Just traded Warhammer Invasion for Infiltration. Pretty fair I think and excited to trade a fun shelf toad for something that I hope to get more action out of. If not, off it will go!

It's interesting that I put up my kickstarter copy of Zombiecide with a note that it would be hard for me to part with it but I was open. I havent played it yet, so I really am reluctant, but was curious. I dont know what the right offer even would be, but thought I'd see. I'm going to have to take it down though if I get one more "How about Quarriors for it?" message...

More
06 Nov 2012 17:36 #137334 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Re: Recent trades

Bull Nakano wrote: Cool idea for a thread.

Thanks.

Bull Nakano wrote: I really enjoyed the couple games of Netrunner I've played so far, getting For Sale played should be easy.

I'm loving Netrunner and have been trying to generate interest around here for a regular group. I really like Call of Cthulhu, as well, but have my stuff up for trade because I just can't find players. I really should take it all down, though, as I'd probably be really reluctant to part with it.

Bull Nakano wrote: I traded another 2p game, Shanghaien, for LOTR: The Confrontation. Another trade I was really excited about, Shanghaien looked kind of awful to me, I just got it because it was cheap and I'm glad I could move it for a game I wanted. This also allows me to push off my deluxe edition, as I tend to value shelf space highly.

Not sure I understand. You traded for a regular copy of LOTR Confrontation so you could get rid of your deluxe version? Speaking of games I love and never get to play, that's one of them. It's a very simple design with extraordinary depth.

Bull Nakano wrote: I traded Notre Dame and Yinish for Ivanhoe, Small World, and Wise and Otherwise. I'm not super into straight abstracts, right now Blokus and Ingenious is about as deep as I go, and Yinish had the other problem of being in line behind some other great 2p games I'm currently inrerested in playing.

Ha. I'd love to find some to play Yinsh more regularly, as well. I'm not completely sold on it, but I've only gotten to play it twice. I'd like to plumb the depths a bit more before sending it off.

More
06 Nov 2012 17:39 #137337 by Jackwraith
Replied by Jackwraith on topic Re: Recent trades

Ska_baron wrote: I'm going to have to take it down though if I get one more "How about Quarriors for it?" message...

Ha. I don't get too many crazy offers, but my trade list is pretty sparse at the moment and spotted with a few things that people will probably be reluctant to offer for, like Mutant Chronicles. I'd likely listen to offers, though. I traded an almost-full set of 2nd Ed. Talisman (missing only Dragons) for almost $200 of recent, in-print stuff (Descent, Runebound, etc.) so it's not like I'm expecting to trade for something equally obscure (but if someone offered me a copy of SPI's Yeoman, I would be so there...)

More
06 Nov 2012 18:19 #137342 by SuperflyPete
Replied by SuperflyPete on topic Re: Recent trades
Check your inbox over at TOS, Ska_Baron...

Man, I'd love to get back a copy of Mutant Chronicles. That's one of those "what the fuck was I thinking" moments when I sold it off. I think I gave it up for 35$ or something not too long ago. I'd wanted, at one point, to get Blood Berets as well, but it was a flight of fancy and I never followed through.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
06 Nov 2012 19:05 #137347 by Rliyen
Replied by Rliyen on topic Re: Recent trades

SuperflyTNT wrote: Check your inbox over at TOS, Ska_Baron...

Man, I'd love to get back a copy of Mutant Chronicles. That's one of those "what the fuck was I thinking" moments when I sold it off. I think I gave it up for 35$ or something not too long ago. I'd wanted, at one point, to get Blood Berets as well, but it was a flight of fancy and I never followed through.

Any board game with the MC moniker is stuck in my collection... Period. Yes, Pete, what the FUCK were you thinking?

More
06 Nov 2012 19:26 #137349 by SuperflyPete

Rliyen wrote:

Any board game with the MC moniker is stuck in my collection... Period. Yes, Pete, what the FUCK were you thinking?

I was thinking what I usually do...
1. I never play it
2. Someone else will like to
3. Don't scalp people

Now, I know you're a fanboi...but do you have that pariah of a 58mm scale minis game?

More
06 Nov 2012 19:30 #137352 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re: Recent trades

On Blood Berets, you're not missing anything. It's actually pretty clunky and borderline shitty. I sold mine for $35 a few years ago and there hasn't been a single minute of a single day that I've missed it.

Siege of the Citadel though....dude, what the FUCK where you thinking?

More
06 Nov 2012 21:31 #137362 by Bull Nakano
Replied by Bull Nakano on topic Re: Recent trades

Jackwraith wrote:

Bull Nakano wrote: I traded another 2p game, Shanghaien, for LOTR: The Confrontation. Another trade I was really excited about, Shanghaien looked kind of awful to me, I just got it because it was cheap and I'm glad I could move it for a game I wanted. This also allows me to push off my deluxe edition, as I tend to value shelf space highly.

Not sure I understand. You traded for a regular copy of LOTR Confrontation so you could get rid of your deluxe version? Speaking of games I love and never get to play, that's one of them. It's a very simple design with extraordinary depth.

Yeah, I find the deluxe edition to be excessively packaged. the bigger stands are nice but the box it comes in is just too big. I don't have a problem with the regular edition, I much prefer the smaller size, and it can be easily modded into a deluxe edition.

Jackwraith wrote:

Ska_baron wrote: I'm going to have to take it down though if I get one more "How about Quarriors for it?" message...

Ha. I don't get too many crazy offers, but my trade list is pretty sparse at the moment and spotted with a few things that people will probably be reluctant to offer for, like Mutant Chronicles. I'd likely listen to offers, though. I traded an almost-full set of 2nd Ed. Talisman (missing only Dragons) for almost $200 of recent, in-print stuff (Descent, Runebound, etc.) so it's not like I'm expecting to trade for something equally obscure (but if someone offered me a copy of SPI's Yeoman, I would be so there...)

I don't mind bad offers too much, if I'm interested in some part of it I'll probably counter with a fairer offer. I get frustrated when I'm trying to work a deal with someone and they keep countering with the same thing or something that is strongly in their favour.

More
08 Nov 2012 22:15 #137436 by Space Ghost
Replied by Space Ghost on topic Re: Recent trades
Pete sold to me, and I will never release it muuuwhhaaaahaaaahaaaaaa!

*I have made sure to repay him kindly beyond just the initial $35

More
09 Nov 2012 14:36 #137467 by SuperflyPete
See, now I feel much, much better about it.

More
09 Nov 2012 22:18 #137539 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re: Recent trades
Any FAT:ties have a copy of Gunslinger they're willing to let go? I played it last weekend during a con and fuuuuuck was it a blast.

More
10 Nov 2012 02:39 #137553 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: Recent trades
I'll put Gunslinger on the list. I see a lot of Avalon Hill stuff pop up around here and if I see one I'll grab it for you.

I just got Struggle of Empires in a trade for Gheos. I bought Gheos from Zev himself at WBC about four years back, for $15, so all in all it was a good deal.

S.

More
10 Nov 2012 02:49 #137554 by Dr. Mabuse
Replied by Dr. Mabuse on topic Re: Recent trades
That would be awesome, thanks Sag!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.376 seconds