October 09, 2023
2425 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2633 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

TI3: Which Options?

More
25 Jan 2008 15:49 - 27 Jan 2008 16:14 #1443 by Mr. Bistro
I have a few games of TI3 under my belt now, and I've been looking hungrily at all those optional rules (including SE). Part of me is tempted to throw just about everything in the mix. I'd like to know what options people like, love, or find silly.

EDIT: I already use Age of Empire.
Last edit: 27 Jan 2008 16:14 by Mr. Bistro.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2008 13:20 #1932 by blarknob
Replied by blarknob on topic Re:TI3: Which Options?
My play-group usually doesn't use leaders, refineries, the objective cards that end the game when they are revealed or voice of the council.

More
05 Feb 2008 13:36 #1934 by Ken B.
Replied by Ken B. on topic Re:TI3: Which Options?
Imperial II
Artifacts
Revealed public objectives
Pre-set map
Simulated first turn

Next time we play, we are going to use leaders as well. Nice bit of chrome without a whole lot of complexity.

More
05 Feb 2008 17:56 #1972 by Michael Barnes
Simulated early turns is the best thing to ever happen to TI3...it's like getting through 2 hours of the boring part straight to the meat.

Use 'em all, I says...Age of Empires is a must too.

More
05 Feb 2008 19:49 #1984 by Mr Skeletor
Replied by Mr Skeletor on topic Re:TI3: Which Options?
I have to say I don't know if I like simulated early turns...

More
05 Feb 2008 22:54 #1998 by hacksword
Replied by hacksword on topic Re:TI3: Which Options?
It sounds like the simulated early turns are meant to speed through the early expansion phase of the game and get to the part where empires start clashing. Couldn't you get the same effect by making the map smaller?

More
06 Feb 2008 12:39 #2042 by Malloc
Replied by Malloc on topic Re:TI3: Which Options?
Ignore Barnes on this one, he is way off the mark.....

Malloc's Choice of options to use: (also what you will see if you play a game with me on the ti3 wiki)

- Leaders are nice for experienced players. They add a little flavor to each race and provide some fun decisions. For newbies they will just get ignored and add to the rules to remember.
- Refineries and Colonies are harmless and when we play they get forgotten more often than used, but I do use them.
- Space Mines are a must. (I like a house rule that they stay until they hit a ship)
- Shock Troops are also a must
- Racial Techs are a must.

Simulated early turns is a waste of time for a few reasons: 1st for some races like the Saar it takes away a key racial advantage by not allowing them to get the free TG for taking planets. 2 or 3 TG early is a big deal. 2nd it actually slows the game down in that you end up with early space battles that eat up as much time as the 1st few turns do anyway. 3rd its more rules for newbies to learn so just skip it. (I find it hard to believe anyone who plays this game seriously would recommend this option)

Age of Empires can be ok, but IMHO it totally ruins the game. Making it about completing the spelled out tasks rather than about being flexible, and snapping up objectives where they are presented. Also, I really like the bureaucracy card and this option totally neuters it. Controlling what objectives appear and their order adds a great level of strategic play to the game.

Also, while i like the idea of building maps and can see where it adds some strategy to the placement of tiles, the preset maps are such a time saver that I can not see playing without them very often.

With artifacts I like to use them face up only. And placed as to not give and advantage to anyone. (Also I like the house rule that they provide a tech bonus in their color.)

The Domain Tokens are also cool for more experienced players, however they can slow the game and we (thanks Will K) tend to remove the more nasty ones that can totally bone you if hit them early.

Custodians of Mecatol Rex is usually played, I have even added some custodians of Hope's end in the Invitational Game.

Some house Rules I like Include:
Treat Asteroid Fields as if they have a Space Mine in them.
Neutral Units on planets like Mecatol, Hopes End and the Artifact Planets.
The public objectives Domination and Supremacy are always in play and may be claimed.
The public objective Imperium Rex will automatically come into play first thing on round (X), ending the game immediately. (This is a game Timer, not a random end)
I have also started Toying with Custom objectives, but this is easier online.

-M

More
25 Feb 2008 11:43 #3340 by Mr. Bistro
Replied by Mr. Bistro on topic Re:TI3: Which Options?
Thanks for the responses.

Malloc, I'm surprised to find someone who doesn't like the Age of Empire rule. I will concede that it can work better for newbies though, as providing all objectives as a solid lump can be overwhelming.

I'm not a big fan of simulated early turns either. I prefer to savor the long road to conquest.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.301 seconds