October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Return of the Heroes or Prophecy

More
07 Feb 2008 18:00 #2216 by maka
"Co-op varient for what Maka?"

For WoW TBG. I've seen it suggested but I haven't read opinions about if it's actually any good.

"They play Marvel Heores right? I find MH just a baby version of WoW, similar game lacking all of the options. "

This is intriguing. How are they similar? I haven't played WoW but have read about it, but MH is one of my favorite games right now.

-Jorge

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2008 22:31 #3365 by maka
Mr. Skletor said: "
They play Marvel Heores right? I find MH just a baby version of WoW, similar game lacking all of the options."

Ok. I've since played WoW (a solo game with 2 heroes and one faction), and although I see what Mr. Skeletor is hinting at, I'm not sure I'd agree. It's true that both games are about two teams of heroes that fight monsters/villains involving lots of dice. But I'd say each game focuses in a different aspect of the game play. While MH is very much about the strategy of who to send where (what hero is more suited for each type of headline), I find WoW:TBG more focused on the character development aspect, which is quite nice BTW. In MH you directly send a hero from your "hand" to any district. There are few actions each round and movement is pretty fast. In WoW heroes move about the board taking turns to travel from place to place. In my game I had both heroes travel together and found the game to be very much about optimizing their route to fight as many quest monsters as possible. This is totally different from MH.

The characters in MH don't change much, but the fact that the combat system is more about outguessing the opponent makes it very interesting and different from WoW. There is some dice manipulation, but of course, WoW's combat is all about the dice manipulation. I liked the system a lot, and found it interesting, but also found that the decisions were mostly the same for all the monsters: just roll as many dice as possible and use your powers to get as many hits as possible. It seems like the decisions are mostly taken at the moment of buying powers/items and leveling-up, and less during the combat itself. This is not bad, just different.

I have to play again, although before playing a two player game with two teams of two heroes, we'll probably play one coop game just like the one I played. I'll add the changes to the event deck published in the coop variant which seem to make the coop game more interesting (blue creatures that sometimes move, etc...). Then we might give the full game a try...

BTW, an advantage of the coop game for two players is that the game board and all the cards fit in a pretty small table (around the same space needed for a MH game) :)

-Jorge

More
26 Feb 2008 00:02 #3369 by Mr Skeletor
Opps, I was going to repond to your above question with a front page article, but forgot. Sorry.
I'm currently working on my own solo/co-op rules, if they are ever read I'll share 'em with you.

I liked the system a lot, and found it interesting, but also found that the decisions were mostly the same for all the monsters: just roll as many dice as possible and use your powers to get as many hits as possible.

Disagree here - as each monster is different I find i set up different builds for each monster. Rerolls are brilliant for Murlocs for example, as it stops you injuring yourself, but a reroll build is shit for ghouls. I find this more interesting than the rock paper sissors think MH has going on.

More
26 Feb 2008 09:08 #3388 by maka
I'll gladly try your coop rules. Overall I liked the game, but I still have to play more to really get the combat system. Now that you mention it, each monster's special hability does force you to approach each combat in a different manner... but it's too soon for me to say which system I like the most...

-Jorge

More
29 Feb 2008 09:26 #3621 by maka
Well, I must say my second play (and our first for me and my gf) was a disappointment. True, we used the coop variant with the new events that try to put some opposition for the team, and those gave us a hard time. We totally lost, making it to level 3 and 4 before we had to go fight the big boss which kicked our asses... For such a long game (it took us between 3-4 hours) we sure felt the time pressure...

But, this time the game seemed tedious and pointless. I'm just not having fun with the combat system (which was the part I was excited about, because I like games where you manipulate dice). Also, the character development while detailed, just doesn't manage to grab me... Maybe it's the preset paths you have, which seem limiting, I'm not sure... The whole game seems to be about choosing your fights and the actual combat, but thematically, there's little there to grab me... Maybe I just wouldn't enjoy the computer game either...

I know I'd have to play the real full game with two teams to really give the game a fair judgement, but I doubt my gf would want to try it, as it would mean 4-5 hours of play and she just didn't enjoy it. She'd rather play Magic Realm (a game we do play from time to time), and when I think about it, I too think that for the length of time WoW takes (we don't get many chances to play such long games), there are other games more satisfying for both of us.

Now, I don't think it's a bad game... just that it didn't connect with us somehow. Now, I'll have to get her to give Arkham Horror another chance (she doesn't like the theme) because it seems it's the only real option for a coop rpg-like game out there... (wait... we haven't yet played the coop variant for RotH...)

-Jorge

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds