October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Thunder Alley Published

More
13 Nov 2014 13:47 #190610 by Bull Nakano
Pushing your car hard into a good position to leech free movement and not pitting when you're about to break down seem kind of go for it to me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
13 Nov 2014 14:18 #190611 by Sagrilarus
The races are short enough that pitting often doesn't come into play. Even when it does it's seemed like a pretty clear decision to me. Pitting is punishing as hell in a two lap race. You need to be on fire to make it worth going to the pits.

S.

More
13 Nov 2014 14:27 #190613 by charlest

Sagrilarus wrote: The races are short enough that pitting often doesn't come into play. Even when it does it's seemed like a pretty clear decision to me. Pitting is punishing as hell in a two lap race. You need to be on fire to make it worth going to the pits.

S.

Yes, you should really only pit if smoke is bellowing from the engine and you're driving on rims, unless there's a Yellow Flag. If there's a Yellow and you have 3 or more wear, definitely pit. The Speed Penalty can be very harsh.

More
13 Nov 2014 14:58 #190615 by JEM
The races can be as long as you want them to be. I think they missed a trick by only printing 2-3 lap boxes on the track boards. They could have put more on there, and called the basic game the "short" game.

We had some moments of tension in our game towards the end- not so much for me, as I was out of contention by then, but with the two prospective leaders. One realized he played too conservatively on the penultimate round, when he should have shot for Lead Car to get control of the final round as first player. The other player made that gamble, and managed to make it work.

The serial nature of the game mechanics mean it's never going to be a photo-finish kind of deal, but there was something more than herd management going on.

More
13 Nov 2014 15:39 #190617 by Sagrilarus
I really think all the tracks could use another lap so that pits become inevitable, but that of course will extend the length of the game and be a crisis for the short-attention-span crowd.

Last game was on the triangular track, and about a quarter of the cars went into the Pit. With a third lap on that triangular track a single pit for each car becomes more or less a must-have. At that point a mad-dash to the pits becomes a real possibility, and a very interesting aspect of the game because you want to get in on the conga-line that will form up as the cars return to the track. Pit timing becomes important, as it is in real racing.

I'll admit that in one of my races I got all the crap pulls off of the event cards because I had pitted less, and got all the bad breaks on the color bar. That's the disadvantage of staying out. But it was luck sufficient for a deluxe bitch-fest mid game. I think it was a pretty exceptional set of circumstances and I don't think I would do it differently in the next game. I got some real satisfaction out of the bitch-fest too, so all worked out in the end. Really cathartic.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JEM

More
14 Nov 2014 00:23 #190630 by ioticus
How has this game held up? Is it still fun or has it gotten stale and will be forgotten? I'm thinking of picking it up even though I'm not really a race car fan.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds