October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2652 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Descent 2.0 or Pathfinder Card Game?

More
02 Feb 2014 09:10 #171122 by Pug
I have Descent 2.0, and although I enjoy it, it doesn't get played a lot (hard to find willing players). Someone has just offered a trade for my copy of Descent including the following Pathfinder Card Game stuff:

Base Set
Skinsaw Murders Deck
Hook Mountain Massacre Deck
Character Add-On Deck

I just wanted to weigh in on your guys opinions of those who have played both.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Feb 2014 09:53 #171123 by jeb
That's a tough one, as they aren't the same. I like having PACG, and it has largely replaced DESCENT 2.0 in terms of play, but that has more to do with our small house and limited game time than this-is-better-than-that. PACG does handle leveling really well and is a lot of fun, but is a lot "smaller" in terms of gameplay elements compared to DESCENT. On the upside, I can take PACG to work and play at lunch--that's not going to happen with DESCENT. Tough one. Try to trade something else for it. Like FIRE EMBLEM AWAKENINGS.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pug

More
02 Feb 2014 10:23 #171125 by VonTush
I'd take Descent any day of the week over PACG, I just like Descent better. But, if it is having problems hitting the table that is something that PACG would help with. So I think you'd send the better game out the door but get in return a game that you'll play more. Personally I'd keep Descent and try to work something else.

More
02 Feb 2014 14:25 - 02 Feb 2014 14:47 #171132 by dragonstout
They both suck, but I'll sell you my Pathfinder if you PM me!

Edit: I don't actually think Pathfinder sucks. I think it has potential and promise that it has squandered with lackluster expansions.
Last edit: 02 Feb 2014 14:47 by dragonstout.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pug, DukeofChutney

More
03 Feb 2014 19:09 #171219 by Pug
Thanks guys! I've decided to hold onto Descent for now. I have it listed in a local math trade, so we'll see if anything better comes along!

More
05 Feb 2014 14:14 #171334 by charlest

dragonstout wrote: They both suck, but I'll sell you my Pathfinder if you PM me!

Edit: I don't actually think Pathfinder sucks. I think it has potential and promise that it has squandered with lackluster expansions.

Completely agree. Pathfinder is like a highly touted prospect on your favorite sports team that is all the rage and then does nothing when they're called up from the minors. It's kind of like the Tim Tebow of tabletop gaming (although Tebow has actually accomplished something).

More
05 Feb 2014 14:40 #171339 by Egg Shen
I've tuned out all the relentless hyping of Pathfinder. I'll wait another year or two. If people are still dragging it out and loving it, then maybe I'll decide to give it a chance. Right now I'm still skeptical, plus I don't need another fantasy co-op. Besides, I'm more of a 1 vs all games kinda guy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Pug, wadenels

More
05 Feb 2014 18:16 #171356 by The Prodigal Player
Hey I know you already decided to keep Descent, but to give you extra incentive to do so, they seem to be laying the groundwork for some co-op expansions where there is no Overlord and it plays more like a traditional dungeon crawler. I don't know if they are finding that Pathfinder is cutting into their audience, but I've certainly been having a harder time getting Descent to the table after getting Pathfinder (I prefer descent most of the time) but if it had a co-op mode it would be an easier sell for my group.

More
05 Feb 2014 20:07 #171365 by Pug
I didn't hear about the co-op expansions! Thanks for informing me, I shall definitely read up on this new discovery. That would most likely help get the game out a bit more I'm sure.

More
06 Feb 2014 11:46 #171393 by Columbob

Pug wrote: I didn't hear about the co-op expansions! Thanks for informing me, I shall definitely read up on this new discovery. That would most likely help get the game out a bit more I'm sure.

For now, they'll be limiting them for store play, but I'm sure they'll sell them sooner or later.

[url=http://]http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4587[/url]

More
06 Feb 2014 11:57 #171396 by wkover
Pathfinder is an amazing family game, and the #1 gaming choice in my household. My wife and kids just love it.

We also find time for Martian Dice, Marvel Legendary, the LOTR Fellowship of the Ring Deck-Building Game (impossible mode is hilarious), and Quarriors. These are definitely our go-to games for the foreseeable future.

Unfortunately, my kids are now old enough that longer games are out - just because they have to spend a lot more time on homework.

I'd rather play Descent 2.0 with adults, though.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb, Pug

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.165 seconds