October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2688 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

This is pretty much how I feel about free to play.

More
03 Feb 2014 15:06 - 04 Feb 2014 07:59 #171183 by Gary Sax
I know there is some conscientious free to play going on out there (DOTA, Heartstone isn't too bad). But it's fucking rare.

Last edit: 04 Feb 2014 07:59 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bulwyf

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Feb 2014 15:10 #171185 by ThirstyMan

More
03 Feb 2014 16:29 #171197 by hotseatgames
When I saw that Dungeon Keeper was released, I immediately went to get it. Then I saw it was free with IAPs. I didn't download it.

More
03 Feb 2014 16:31 #171200 by Gary Sax
I just love that post tutorial, you can do something simple that will not be finished for 24 hours without spending money.

More
03 Feb 2014 16:50 #171203 by Black Barney
Last night Assassin's Creed IV asked me if I wanted to pay $99.99 in order to unlock enough credits to unlock all the content in multiplayer without having to earn it.

More
03 Feb 2014 21:08 #171226 by Sevej
In PvP oriented game, free to play means the free players are meat for the paying players' grinder. You don't have to program AI as opposition.

More
03 Feb 2014 21:59 #171229 by Gary Sax
So there's the part where they're shitty games, pay to win, etc.

But another part of why I hate free to play is that I hate thinking about money and weighing monetary transactions during the game. It breaks my immersion in the videogame and gets me thinking about my budget, what a fair price is, what I can afford, etc. That is stress for me. That beef applies to even respectable free to play games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
03 Feb 2014 23:10 #171232 by Sevej
I don't know about you, but usually I decided that far ahead.

If it's got micro transaction I immediately assess whether I can enjoy the game wholly without getting into micro transaction. Micro transactions on cosmetic stuff I can usually tolerate. I will even buy it.

Sometimes they went into gameplay, and I still look the gap between non-paying to paying customers. Some games actually manage to have very little to no gap between non-paying and paying customers.

Then I ask myself, how much do I have to pay. I do this before I play the game, or very early (like 1 or 2 hours of gameplay). Generally if it's bothering enough, I just stop. I've paid for cosmetics, just to support the game.

More
04 Feb 2014 07:53 #171239 by Sagrilarus
I have a buddy in the gambling machine business and he talks about how the interfaces are designed to keep you in once you get in. Those little flashes on the screen (like sunlight glinting off a piece of metal, etc.) are designed to pull the eyes back to the center of the screen during down moments in the action so they don't wander off to find something else of interest. It's all about serotonin levels and maintaining long-term focus. In short, enjoyment by you the user is at best a tertiary issue for the designers. From their perspective it's simply not a high priority.

At that point why bother?

S.

More
04 Feb 2014 08:06 - 04 Feb 2014 08:07 #171241 by Gary Sax
^There is similarly sinister psychology going on in free to play games... here are two articles, the first one being how deep down the rabbit hole these people get in terms of structuring their games for obsessive types. I'm not sure I could work on something like this from an ethical perspective, but I don't think anything illegal is going on.

www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RaminShokrizade/...etization_Tricks.php
www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/195806/ch...ing_the_.php?print=1
Last edit: 04 Feb 2014 08:07 by Gary Sax.

More
04 Feb 2014 09:38 #171247 by jeb
An interesting point here is that it's EA's DUNGEON KEEPER for iOS that has everyone so up in arms. EA is the company that got free-to-play so right with PLANTS VS. ZOMBIES 2 on iOS. The difference here is that this game is not playable in the "Free" mode. In the DK example, it's not that paying makes the game bigger or more diverse, it's that paying is what makes the game capable of being played.

It should be a game first, and a monetization opportunity second. They have lost the thread.

More
04 Feb 2014 10:10 - 04 Feb 2014 10:12 #171250 by Black Barney

Gary Sax wrote: ^There is similarly sinister psychology going on in free to play games... here are two articles, the first one being how deep down the rabbit hole these people get in terms of structuring their games for obsessive types. I'm not sure I could work on something like this from an ethical perspective, but I don't think anything illegal is going on.

www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RaminShokrizade/...etization_Tricks.php
www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/195806/ch...ing_the_.php?print=1

The crack-cocaine multiplayer formula of Call of Duty that immersed in Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was developped by psychologists. There's a really cool book on the gamification of our world (it was a great read and of course I forget the name of the book because it's a book and not a video game). I don't think there's an ethical boundary being crossed tho. They aren't structuring games for obsessive types, they are structuring games to make players obsessive types. They've figured out the reward-center parts of our brains and what sets off the most endorphins (within reason) and develop games around that type of feedback system.

Hopefully it eventually means that we'll get to meet a young Ashley Judd wearing pyjamas for uniform.

Reality is Broken was the name of the book (my wifey remembered)
Last edit: 04 Feb 2014 10:12 by Black Barney.

More
04 Feb 2014 12:44 #171260 by Grudunza
I disagree about PvZ2 being done right, and I know many that would side with me about that. Sure, you could play through the whole thing without paying at all, but compared to the original PvZ, one of my favorite games EVER, this one started feeling like a grind after a while. I stopped playing in the second level and haven't returned to it in months. And I was soooo excited for this game, but it just felt tedious. I'd have been happy to pay a lot up front to just have a great game to play through without grinding around pay barriers. I agree it does free-to-play better than others, but I still think it's a crap way to do a game like that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
04 Feb 2014 14:27 #171272 by Black Barney
I don't understand the logic of PvZ2 being FtP anyway. Everyone loved the first one and would have gladly paid 10$ for the second one, no?

More
04 Feb 2014 15:15 #171279 by Erik Twice
Plants vs Zombies 2 is incredibly padded, most levels are very similar to each other and you need to play a lot of them to get enough stars or keys to progress. Unless you pay, of course.

Imagine Dragon Quest with the same content but each dungeon's corridors are 50% larger. It feels like that.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.421 seconds