October 09, 2023
2294 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2511 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's talk DUEL OF AGES II

More
05 Oct 2017 03:30 #255249 by Feelitmon

san il defanso wrote: We played a four-player Triad game last night, the 3-hour length. [...] After a good year or so wondering if I was crazy for enjoying this game so much back in 2013-2014, the last couple months have given me a new appreciation for it. Definitely in my Top 5 now.

This is a great write-up! Congrats on assembling such a successful first session for the new players. I like your idea of removing the weirder cards. For a learning game that is 100% appropriate and very helpful, so I'm going to steal your idea. My friends and I played a nice 14-round Triad game a few weeks ago, after a long dry spell where we just didn't play DoA for some reason. It's such a blast, and the length of the game and the use of challenge decks instead of dice rolls make sure that there will be more than one turn of the tide within any given session.

By the way, I just realized that I think I love any game where you can talk about a session's MVPs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso, hotseatgames

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2017 12:48 #255344 by hotseatgames
Last night I introduced a friend to Duel of Ages II. I started with about an hour of explanation. That is a lot to take in, but without clear goals, my friend would have been totally overwhelmed. He was already reeling at the sheer amount of choices and possible outcomes. We did the standard triad mission, 8 characters per side. Some highlights:

Thump, the Giant, (my team) was holding a mesa on lockdown, op-firing with his rocks any time the enemies (Ronin Sajiro and Damon Raven) moved. My MVP, Leo Penney (the Gambler) snuck up near Ronin Sajiro and revealed his trusty 6-shooter. He double-amazed, and I chose to imprison Ronin, knowing it would benefit me greatly at the end of the game, and seriously hinder my opponent to have one less character on the board to take actions.

Eventually, Damon Raven fell to Thump's merciless rock assault.

My opponent had Xecttyl, the Hive Mother. This character has two auras; one makes nearby enemies move slower (this was a pain) and the other allows her to make melee attacks from 2 spaces away! He used this to great effect, engaging me in melee when I could not attack in return. With 11 health, this is one hardy enemy. Luckily, my Bounty Hunter, Perry Owens, revealed an elven windsword that gave him +2 armor against melee attacks. Suck it, Hive Mother!

I took Joshua Jordan, the Superhero, thinking I could kick some ass with him and ignore terrain with his flying ability. Unfortunately, you have to discard a card to trigger the transformation. Joshua spent the entire game cardless, eventually succumbing to the Sandman's melee assault.

After playing for around 3 hours, we called it, with the victory going to me by one achievement. It was awesome, my friend liked it, and we agreed that we would try it again some time.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Cranberries, san il defanso, Feelitmon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.495 seconds