October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2658 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Titan Rules posted for Valley Games reprint

More
31 Jan 2008 13:41 - 31 Jan 2008 13:49 #1716 by jeb
The English Rules for the new edition have been posted. (PDF)

They're soliciting for errata over at BGG . Can we please have some Titan expert eyes hit that file before "Battle" gets erratum to "Journey"?
Last edit: 31 Jan 2008 13:49 by jeb. Reason: improved pdf link

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2008 14:16 #1717 by Michael Barnes
Just scanning through them...wow.

It looks great. It seems that they really listened about those counters, some of them look like more detailed versions of the classic silhouettes. Some don't; sorry, but the Guardian will always be a big blob to me. Nice looking rulebook, easy to read, seems like it's all there...variants are fine, really just playing to points or cutting out the weaker creatures...good diagrams, mustering charts...I'm pretty much sold on it now.

More
31 Jan 2008 14:30 - 31 Jan 2008 14:41 #1719 by jeb
Yeah, I pointed out in the errata thread that the largest one appears on the Valley Games 750 webpage that indicates the store will be down for "a couple weeks"[sic]. I've been trying to pre-order this thing for at least a month.

There are some pretty savage typos though. I noted that a native character adds one die when stinking down a Slope, for example. I love stinking down slopes at my enemies, but I'm pretty sure they want "striking" there.
Last edit: 31 Jan 2008 14:41 by jeb. Reason: typos dammit

More
31 Jan 2008 20:39 #1721 by Mr Skeletor

More
01 Feb 2008 01:35 - 01 Feb 2008 10:29 #1730 by Druen Kree

They're soliciting for errata over at BGG.

Hopefully the anal-retentive over there will warn them about sticky boxes.Nothing ruin my gaming sessions like a box fart!
Last edit: 01 Feb 2008 10:29 by Druen Kree. Reason: spelling

More
01 Feb 2008 09:55 #1745 by Michael Barnes
I didn't look for any errata, but damn, as awesome as their HANNIBAL was it was riddled with goofy typos.

There really isn't any excuse for these companies (GMT, I'm looking at you too)to release games with so many copy errors. It isn't that hard to get somebody on staff to go through it all with a fine-toothed comb if there's no editorial staff. I'm a professional writer/editor for a random Gigantical Megacorportion and Holdings, INC. LLC, and if I let something pass with stupid typos and errors like I see in some games I'd be in big trouble.

QC standards, people!

More
01 Feb 2008 11:55 #1752 by hacksword
Michael Barnes wrote:

There really isn't any excuse for these companies (GMT, I'm looking at you too)to release games with so many copy errors.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Didn't you get the memo ? You're not allowed to criticize GMT's games' production quality anymore. Your only options are to buy and play the game without a word of complaint, or to not buy the game, save your money and shut the fuck up.

More
01 Feb 2008 12:06 #1753 by Schweig!
I had to smile a little when I saw that thread.

But it's that clever: If some deranged crybaby of a BGG users takes the efforts to open a thread complaining about typos (when he could have used that time to correct them in his rulebook) in hindsight to the release of Titan, the Valley games staff can just point at their errata thread and say: "You had your chance ..."

More
01 Feb 2008 12:12 #1754 by Michael Barnes
Damn it, Hack, you're right. From now on I'll just buy Euros, since they've moved to a format where there are no words and only arcane symbols for everything. No typos there, and all that wood is much better value-for-the-money than those cheapo paper maps.

Last night we played MINION HUNTER and the owner of the game hadn't opened it in 15 years. He had made a correction directly on the board at some point with a ball point pen, completely etching the correction into the board and obscuring the original information for all time. I thought that was kind of awesome.

More
01 Feb 2008 12:43 #1756 by jeb
Barnes, you reminded me of Target Arnhem, which has some typos on a couple of counters and a little path-thingy where there shouldn't be one. I was playing with some grognard and he mentioned these mistakes and I said, "Why don't you just fix them?" He looked puzzled. "You know, just write on there, and scratch that thing out." He kind of mumbled and we moved on.

THIS GAME IS FREE.

What are you saving it for? Are you going to be selling this HOT ITEM later? it was given away in a magazine. It was given away at Cons. It is available, for S/H from the publisher, right now. Cripes. This annoys the hell out of me.

I'm really happy to see Valley Games put this file up. It gives the anally retentive a chance to correct grammar (guilty!), it gives the Titan experts a chance to fix mistakes on the strike charts, and it gives purists the chance to complain that the file is not (correctly) called The Law of Titan. These will be some very nice rules when it's all said and done.

More
01 Feb 2008 18:26 #1770 by Mr Skeletor
Schweig! wrote:

I had to smile a little when I saw that thread.

But it's that clever: If some deranged crybaby of a BGG users takes the efforts to open a thread complaining about typos (when he could have used that time to correct them in his rulebook) in hindsight to the release of Titan, the Valley games staff can just point at their errata thread and say: "You had your chance ..."

Have you ever tried to get anything done by committee? The BGG committee at that?
I hope whomever has to process all that bullshit has a bottle full of aspirin.

More
01 Feb 2008 20:38 #1772 by thdizzy
This is a smart move for Valley Games to make. Channel the negative energy and make it positive. Everyone wins!

More
01 Feb 2008 20:49 #1774 by BigLizard
I have to agree with Barnes. It isn't that difficult for someone to take a few hours and just read the text for typos and grammatical errors in-house. It's like whoever got the assignment decided it would be easier to get free editing services at BGG.

Have you ever tried to get anything done by committee? The BGG committee at that?
I hope whomever has to process all that bullshit has a bottle full of aspirin

Serves 'em right if they can't do the job themselves.

Bill N.

More
02 Feb 2008 00:57 #1776 by mikelawson
BigLizard wrote:

I have to agree with Barnes. It isn't that difficult for someone to take a few hours and just read the text for typos and grammatical errors in-house. It's like whoever got the assignment decided it would be easier to get free editing services at BGG.

I hope whomever has to process all that bullshit has a bottle full of aspirin

Serves 'em right if they can't do the job themselves.

Bill N.

I'm not that big a fan of MS Word, but at least Word 2003 has autogrammar and auto-spellcheck in place. It's not exactly hard to figure out yewv got a misspellllled werd ther.

--Mike L.

More
02 Feb 2008 03:17 #1778 by moss_icon
hacksword wrote:

Michael Barnes wrote:

There really isn't any excuse for these companies (GMT, I'm looking at you too)to release games with so many copy errors.

If you don't like it, don't buy it. Didn't you get the memo ? You're not allowed to criticize GMT's games' production quality anymore. Your only options are to buy and play the game without a word of complaint, or to not buy the game, save your money and shut the fuck up.

Except the thread you linked was that bullshit one where cheapskates complain about GMT games costing too much money.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds