October 09, 2023
2292 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

DungeonQuest Revised Edition- Re-Reprint

More
11 Apr 2014 18:14 - 11 Apr 2014 18:16 #175667 by bioball
Revised Edition - now in the exciting world of Terrinoth!

I think this is a pretty big commitment on FFG's part. They are really demonstrating a desire to see a fun game put to market. They've had 2-3 good runs with Cosmic, Wiz-War, and Merchants of Venus so another possible hit?

[Edit: More the "okay, okay, maybe we *did* fuck up combat in the previous edition" edition]
Last edit: 11 Apr 2014 18:16 by bioball.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2014 19:03 #175669 by Not Sure
Huh. Cool.

I wasn't really upset by the last edition, in fact I was sort of kicking myself that I didn't grab one to play with my kids.

I was afraid it was going to go into limbo and command stupid prices forever. If they've simplified combat again, it will be an even better thing to pick up for family death and tragedy in a dungeon.

Sounds like I'll wait instead of grabbing a 3rd edition for too much dosh.

More
11 Apr 2014 19:30 #175670 by Bull Nakano
3rd edition was set in Terrinoth. The components look identical. Glad I got $75 for my 3rd ed. copy while the getting was good. Not sure if I'm interested as I have a GW edition and I'm really not excited about Catacombs.

More
11 Apr 2014 19:34 #175671 by Bull Nakano
What’s Different in DungeonQuest Revised Edition?

We’ve listened to the feedback since the release of DungeonQuest Third Edition and while working closely with designer Jakob Bonds, have implemented numerous important changes in DungeonQuest Revised Edition. Some of these changes are detailed below:

Combat has been simplified: Combat has been redesigned to feature a streamlined combat system that harkens back to the classic editions of the game. DungeonQuest Revised Edition features a card version of the combat chart found in a previous edition. The new combat system delivers the same tension that DungeonQuest players love, but allows combat to be played out much more quickly. For more detailed information on combat, please see the “Combating the Dungeon’s Monsters” section above.
Search once per room: In DungeonQuest Revised Edition, rooms in the dungeon can now be searched only once per game. This encourages brave dungeon-delvers to venture deeper into Dragonfire dungeon, and is easy to track by placing a search token on the board.
Move between towers: When a hero enters a tower room, he can now optionally move to any other tower room and continue his turn. This change allows you to shadow other players who have created successful paths through the dungeon, adding a new layer of strategy. This also prevents you from being stuck in the opening turns of the game.
Escape using Agility: This streamlined escape mechanic allows players to test Agility in order to successfully escape from a combat.
New rulebook format: DungeonQuest Revised Edition takes advantage of our new rulebook format. The rules are split into two separate, streamlined documents–a Learn-to-Play guide, and a Rules Reference book. This means that you’ll be able to begin exploring the dungeon as soon as you open the box with the help of the handy Learn-to-Play guide. The Rules Reference guide will answer any questions that you may have as you play the game.
A deadlier dungeon: Dragonfire Dungeon is deadlier than ever before, adding new challenges for seasoned dungeon explorers! Surviving the dungeon is a heroic feat, and only the bravest of the brave will make it out alive.
Torchilight Variant: When using the Torchlight Variant, when a player moves into an unexplored room, his torch casts enough light to make out what lies ahead. As a result, he also draws and places adjacent rooms that he has line-of-sight to. This variant adds an element of strategy to the game, as well as creates a much fuller and more complex dungeon throughout the game.

More
11 Apr 2014 20:11 #175672 by Wetworks
I'd be much more interested in a revamped Runebound 3rd edition. I have a suspicion that FFG will announce Runebound at Gencon this year.

More
11 Apr 2014 20:23 #175673 by the_jake_1973
Even though I made my own character cards for the entire Terrinoth pantheon, the only thing I would want to see is official FFG cards for the Terrinoth characters.

More
11 Apr 2014 21:18 #175674 by Michael Barnes
No Death Warrior, no deal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
11 Apr 2014 22:09 - 11 Apr 2014 22:10 #175679 by VonTush
I hope they release a deck of cards for combat that you can buy. The other changes don't do much for me. The search once a room...Outside of searching for a secret door, or going cheese-dick looking for a small treasure and running out, multiple searches were never an issue for my groups. Escaping combat is an option I like having.

Being able to jump to a different tower is weak. One of the greatest parts of the game is watching as someone gets boned right off the bat. HA! I say.

The torchlight variant actually sounds like it could be pretty neat. Seeing what the next room I think gives the impression you have more control.

I haven't played the game in a long while. So realistically...I'm Meh all around. An upgrade kit for combat would be nice though.
Last edit: 11 Apr 2014 22:10 by VonTush.

More
11 Apr 2014 22:12 #175680 by Gary Sax
Glad to see another print of a classic.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VonTush

More
11 Apr 2014 22:32 #175685 by the_jake_1973
The only upgrade for combat you need is to use the dice-off method. Nice and simple.

More
11 Apr 2014 22:50 #175691 by Egg Shen
Fuck yes! I traded off my third edition just before it went out of print. I've always intended to pick the game up again, but its been fetching crazy stupid prices while OOP. I'll grab this as soon as its available.

Funny thing when I traded this...the VERY NEXT DAY my fiancé asked to play that game where you can die on your first turn due to a pit or a trap. When I told her I traded it she goes ,"aww...that was my favorite game!" Maybe if she had expressed that I wouldn't have traded it away....she's been busting my balls about it every few months or so.

So I'm pretty damn happy about this reprint. The fact that they've gone back to the classic combat system is just gravy for me.

More
11 Apr 2014 23:01 #175693 by wadenels

Michael Barnes wrote: No Death Warrior, no deal.

Damn straight.

More
12 Apr 2014 07:13 #175701 by Applejack
I'm really happy Fantasy Flight Games is reprinting this game. I was kicking myself for missing out on the third edition while it was still available. DungeonQuest can't be a big seller for FFG, but they know there's still fans who want it. Good on them for taking chances with this and the likes of Nexus Ops and Fortress America. They could just develop and release another cooperative Lovecraft game, those sell like hotcakes. Instead, they take the time to tweak and bring back an older game.

I think I'm going to order Wiz-War sometime soon, these classic games need our support (and love).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
12 Apr 2014 11:21 #175717 by skrebs
This thread motivated me to get my 3rd edition out last night and solo it.

I immediately went into the catacombs, got lucky with a bunch of loot. Then I surfaced adjacent to the center and stole about 4000 before getting out. I headed for the exit with the sun about at the half way mark. A demon stopped me on the way but I had a rune card to take care of it. I hit a dead end but found a secret door. I was thinking this too easy. Hubris!

My next tile was the bottomless pit and I, of course, failed my test. Awesome game.

More
12 Apr 2014 13:26 #175730 by hotseatgames
I was excited when 3rd edition was announced, and bought it upon release. I was very surprised to find out that I did NOT like this game. I appreciate luck as much as the next guy, or even more, but this game went too far. In my opinion, your choices are so minimal that it might as well play itself.

I traded it to Pete, I think for a Dungeon Command box. I think he traded it away after that. No regrets.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.425 seconds