October 09, 2023
2491 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2691 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

DungeonQuest Revised Edition- Re-Reprint

More
11 Apr 2014 22:50 #175691 by Egg Shen
Fuck yes! I traded off my third edition just before it went out of print. I've always intended to pick the game up again, but its been fetching crazy stupid prices while OOP. I'll grab this as soon as its available.

Funny thing when I traded this...the VERY NEXT DAY my fiancé asked to play that game where you can die on your first turn due to a pit or a trap. When I told her I traded it she goes ,"aww...that was my favorite game!" Maybe if she had expressed that I wouldn't have traded it away....she's been busting my balls about it every few months or so.

So I'm pretty damn happy about this reprint. The fact that they've gone back to the classic combat system is just gravy for me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Apr 2014 23:01 #175693 by wadenels

Michael Barnes wrote: No Death Warrior, no deal.

Damn straight.

More
12 Apr 2014 07:13 #175701 by Applejack
I'm really happy Fantasy Flight Games is reprinting this game. I was kicking myself for missing out on the third edition while it was still available. DungeonQuest can't be a big seller for FFG, but they know there's still fans who want it. Good on them for taking chances with this and the likes of Nexus Ops and Fortress America. They could just develop and release another cooperative Lovecraft game, those sell like hotcakes. Instead, they take the time to tweak and bring back an older game.

I think I'm going to order Wiz-War sometime soon, these classic games need our support (and love).
The following user(s) said Thank You: Egg Shen

More
12 Apr 2014 11:21 #175717 by skrebs
This thread motivated me to get my 3rd edition out last night and solo it.

I immediately went into the catacombs, got lucky with a bunch of loot. Then I surfaced adjacent to the center and stole about 4000 before getting out. I headed for the exit with the sun about at the half way mark. A demon stopped me on the way but I had a rune card to take care of it. I hit a dead end but found a secret door. I was thinking this too easy. Hubris!

My next tile was the bottomless pit and I, of course, failed my test. Awesome game.

More
12 Apr 2014 13:26 #175730 by hotseatgames
I was excited when 3rd edition was announced, and bought it upon release. I was very surprised to find out that I did NOT like this game. I appreciate luck as much as the next guy, or even more, but this game went too far. In my opinion, your choices are so minimal that it might as well play itself.

I traded it to Pete, I think for a Dungeon Command box. I think he traded it away after that. No regrets.

More
12 Apr 2014 13:41 #175732 by bioball
I'm kinda surprised FFG has not turned this game into a digital version. DQ would be a pretty good one to automate and make for a fun ~10-20min diversion. I figured Elder Sign did well, but I guess not well enough to warrant expansion of the digital game line.
The following user(s) said Thank You: evilgit

More
15 Apr 2014 20:19 #175943 by evilgit
I'm one the fence here. I played it exactly once since the GW glory days and I kinda felt it was all nostalgia.
But if they had a reprint with the old art, I'd jump. I want to like Terrinoth but I just can't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

More
16 Apr 2014 08:43 #175958 by Legomancer
I love DungeonQuest. I sold my original edition when the new one came out, and I ditched the combat cards in favor of the combat die resolution. It's big stupid fun and I adore it. I can't see buying a new one, though; with the combat die there's nothing wrong with the current one.

More
16 Apr 2014 08:46 - 16 Apr 2014 08:53 #175959 by san il defanso
Over a year ago I wrote this article, called "The Expansion Bubble," wherein I wrote this comment:

"I think it's very likely that Dungeonquest will soon get a new edition in a little Silver Line box, like what they did with Lord of the Rings. I also expect that they'll strip out the Terrinoth stuff (which seems to be in a sort of rebranding process) and make the alternate combats a part of the production in the rules. I think a reprint like that would suit the game really well, although that would be a lot of tokens to put in a small box."

I wasn't totally on-base (this is no Silver Line edition), but I feel vindicated about this announcement, because everyone jumped down my throat that FFG would NEVER release a new edition of the game.

As for the actual announcement, this is a good thing. Dungeonquest is a fun game, and I actually would consider upgrading if it looks like the improvements are good enough.
Last edit: 16 Apr 2014 08:53 by san il defanso.

More
16 Apr 2014 08:59 #175962 by Chaz
So if I've got the last FFG printing and play it with the combat resolution table that they released as a variant after the fact, then there's pretty much nothing new in this one, right? Sounds like it's mostly a reprint with the original combat made back into the official rules. The rest of the stuff seems like they're already variants available for the last version.

Really, I never got the hate for the last FFG edition, especially since they released what (I thought) was the combat rules for the original as a PDF. I never played the original version, so I'm probably missing something though.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.184 seconds