October 09, 2023
2488 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2689 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Dominion Online screwed

More
12 Apr 2014 01:30 - 12 Apr 2014 01:38 #175697 by ThirstyMan
WOW. Goku seem to be fucking this one up well and truly.

Site takes ages to load, registrations running incorrectly so some people not getting confirmation emails (I didn't even get one when registering for their tech site to complain, so now I can't post or complain!!). Site using massive amounts of CPU.

Blah blah blah. What a right royal fuck up.

Now I can't login at all. Apparently need to clear the cache EVERY time you login. Jesus, hard to see how you can fuck up worse than this....

According to their forums, they also had problems with their payment provider and folk were buying GoCoins (or whatever the fuck they are called) and it not registering on their account. So not only is the primary game playing software piss poor so are their payment methods.
Last edit: 12 Apr 2014 01:38 by ThirstyMan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2014 10:10 #175713 by Grudunza
But... but... Goko is games that go anywhere!

More
12 Apr 2014 11:31 #175719 by OldHippy
I actually enjoy Dominion quite a bit, especially in the iOS format. I do have the knock off they made on my phone (with the real artwork, it's not available anymore), it's ok but the AI is kind of inconsistent, and it's just the base game. Apparently this Goku piece of crap is so that they don't have to make an iOS or android version. We can just all log onto this site and play each other.

I won't do it. I know it's only a couple of steps more complicated than what I do on my phone but it seems like a dick move on their part to me. They could have made a killing from a good app but insisted on doing this... there's no way they're making as much money from this site. It's a horrible model. There a ton of people who would totally be playing Dominion and buying all the expansions. Now it sits on this backwoods page no one wants to go to. Such a waste.

More
12 Apr 2014 12:26 #175725 by Sagrilarus

JonJacob wrote: Apparently this Goku piece of crap is so that they don't have to make an iOS or android version. We can just all log onto this site and play each other.

Smart phone market share in the U.S. is 30%. Opening this up to web browsers increases their available pool of players by a huge margin. I appreciate it's not as simple as that (as Apple product owners are famously more free-spending than the market as a whole) but it's not an unreasonable move and you don't have to hand over 30% of your revenue to Apple.

S.

More
12 Apr 2014 13:39 #175731 by Legomancer
Fuck these assholes. They're squatting on digital rights for dozens of good games and the only one they've actually produced is shit. Why won't they die already so someone else can get those rights and actually make playable games out of them?

More
12 Apr 2014 17:33 #175741 by OldHippy

Sagrilarus wrote:

JonJacob wrote: Apparently this Goku piece of crap is so that they don't have to make an iOS or android version. We can just all log onto this site and play each other.

Smart phone market share in the U.S. is 30%. Opening this up to web browsers increases their available pool of players by a huge margin. I appreciate it's not as simple as that (as Apple product owners are famously more free-spending than the market as a whole) but it's not an unreasonable move and you don't have to hand over 30% of your revenue to Apple.

S.

I'm sure the possibilities are higher with the system their using. But I doubt the response is anywhere near what it could be. A lot of people would discover Dominion because of an app, a lot of non-hobbygamers. I know several people (if you will allow me some anecdotal evidence) that would totally buy Dominion for 1-5$ and pay for expansions on either iOS or Android. Those same people know about this Goku thing and none of them use it (I'm one of them actually). In their attempt to get all the profit I would hazard a guess that they are getting much less $ than they could be getting.

No one I know would ever use their web browser to play this on the go, which is where the big money is. Apps have kind of become the standard for that.

That said I only have personal examples and my opinions are based purely on that. I'd be curious to see what kind of numbers they're pulling in comparison to something comparable in the app store.

More
12 Apr 2014 17:44 #175743 by the_jake_1973
There were already a fairly large amount of people playing online Dominion when the license to do so was taken by Goku. If they had just converted that site to a pay one, I would have paid to be able to play games with people across the globe.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.385 seconds