October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

ARGs the new LARPs?

More
16 Apr 2014 14:15 - 16 Apr 2014 14:16 #175986 by ThirstyMan
The guys that run the, rather excellent, The Secret World MMORPG have initiated a new gaming experience and are fishing for pledges to start up. They are calling it an ARG (Alternative Reality Game) where your real life merges with an MMO experience. Here's what it says in the $75 pledge line.

Are you ready to have an exciting life? Everything may start with a creepy phone call or an SUV parked in front of your house, but one day your mission will have to start. As a bonus, your character will be part of the storyline and players will need to contact or virtually find you to solve their missions. If you like RP, you want this....

Anyone know anything about these style of games? They look like a kind of hybrid LARP/video game experience. Here's some more promo shit.....

The game has been set to bring players to new grounds by mixing different gaming experiences such as rewarding them, in some missions, with in-game items directly applicable to The Secret World or even with the use of a specially created Black Watchmen Companion App.

This app will let them use their environment as part of the game-play and game reality. From fighting enemy in their backyards to flash mob attack in central park, the system enable team play in various hunting mission. For example, players could be grounded by snipers and not be able to leave their house without the implication of other players who can come and flush them out.

For security purpose, real identity and personal information will in no circumstance be revealed, but the game will blend with real life in many ways by leaving the players set their desired ‘experience’. They can choose to receive text or phone call during a mission, or go as far as involving yourself as the main character and ending up with a black SUV parked in front of your house!

Sounds freaky!!!!!

Here's a link The Black Watchmen
Last edit: 16 Apr 2014 14:16 by ThirstyMan.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2014 14:23 #175987 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: ARGs the new LARPs?
Sounds a bit dangerous....

The following user(s) said Thank You: Hex Sinister

More
16 Apr 2014 15:17 #175992 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Re: ARGs the new LARPs?
Yeah, this sounds like a lawsuit waiting. No way do I want an SUV parked in front of my house staring through my windows at my wife/daughter or some shady stuff going down in my neighborhood due to a game.

Also don't want to be pinned down by a sniper while I'm at work and not be able to leave at 5PM. Environment is hostile enough as it is.

More
16 Apr 2014 15:55 #175993 by Michael Barnes
I could not possibly care less about bullshit like this.

More
16 Apr 2014 18:18 #175997 by Green Lantern
Man, I thought NASCAR was a complete waste of time and resources but this takes the cake.

More
16 Apr 2014 19:20 #176001 by Sagrilarus
Replied by Sagrilarus on topic Re: ARGs the new LARPs?
Should be a great time for people with Federal security clearances.

S.

More
16 Apr 2014 20:53 #176007 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: ARGs the new LARPs?
Prediction: somebody will get shot.

Sounds like this concept was inspired by that old Killer game. I ran one in high school and played one in college. Lots of fun, but both games caused some trouble after a couple of days.

More
16 Apr 2014 21:55 #176008 by RobertB
Replied by RobertB on topic Re: ARGs the new LARPs?
If you're a fan of Walter Jon Williams, this series is pretty good:

This is Not A Game
www.amazon.com/This-Not-Game-Novel-Dagma...s=this+is+not+a+game

Deep State
www.amazon.com/Deep-State-Walter-Jon-Wil...eywords=Deep%2BState

Its protagonist is an ARG producer. I enjoyed it, and learned a little about ARGs in the bargain. It didn't make me think that ARGs were my type of fun, but the books were good.

What little bit about it that I know makes me think, "ARG == publicity stunt". This isn't necessarily a bad thing, since _somebody_ has to pay for all this. But again, not something I'm dying to try.

More
16 Apr 2014 23:17 #176011 by Shellhead
Replied by Shellhead on topic Re: ARGs the new LARPs?
I've enjoyed past books by Walter Jon Williams, but passed over those two books during recent trips to the library. For some really fun, early books about LARP, I highly recommend the Dream Park trilogy by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes. There is an early chapter in the third book that comes across as a LARP version of Wiz-War.

More
17 Apr 2014 08:21 #176014 by Xerxes
Replied by Xerxes on topic Re: ARGs the new LARPs?
Hooray for Dream Park!

I've still got the Dream Park RPG game knocking around somewhere, we ran a good few games with it. It was pretty good fun and the group enjoyed the way you could use your character points to rebuild an entirely different character in an unexpected new universe. From memory the first few games we ran were;

WWII train heist - stealing gold from the Nazis

Near future orbital rescue scenario (all being sciency types we go hit with figuring out problems such as how flames behave in zero g.)

Cartoon universe - took us a while to twig how to play - falling off a cliff? grab the pencil in your pocket and draw your solution (parachute, spring boots etc...)

Victorian time travel/vampire game set in Sussex (where we all live/lived)

More
17 Apr 2014 12:47 #176032 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: ARGs the new LARPs?
I feel like my life is complicated enough without things like this.

More
17 Apr 2014 13:26 #176036 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: ARGs the new LARPs?
And I certainly have enough people who'd really like to see me dead...so...

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.699 seconds