October 09, 2023
2444 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Rowdy Roddy's Math Trade Bitch Session

More
21 Apr 2014 20:26 - 21 Apr 2014 20:46 #176229 by Sagrilarus
I'd like to clarify that my first item is only available if my third goes, my second available if the fourth goes, the fourth won't be available if my first and third both go, and my seventh is only available if I convert to Judaism prior to the end of the trade. I will keep everyone informed of my progress.

L'chaim

S.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2014 20:46 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax, Jackwraith, lj1983, wadenels

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2014 20:39 - 21 Apr 2014 20:39 #176230 by Bull Nakano
Sag, how many planes are in that WW1 bundle?
Last edit: 21 Apr 2014 20:39 by Bull Nakano.

More
21 Apr 2014 20:45 - 21 Apr 2014 20:48 #176231 by Sagrilarus
שש

Six is what my extensive inventory came up with last night. Six dupes. I'll tell you what, there isn't a single resource on the web to help you figure out what is what. I would have killed for a good old fashioned checklist with pictures.

S.
Last edit: 21 Apr 2014 20:48 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bull Nakano

More
22 Apr 2014 09:08 #176242 by Legomancer
I'm sorry, I mighta sorta lied about participating. I really don't want more games right now, I just want to get rid of ones I have. So no trading for me, I'll probably do an auction instead.

More
22 Apr 2014 11:31 #176259 by SuperflyPete
Dave,
Set them up as bundles, so that you can offload 3-4 ones you don't want for 1 that you really want, and that is expensive, rare, valuable, etc.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
22 Apr 2014 11:56 #176263 by Sagrilarus
As the list starts to form up you may see something worth going after. I realize you've given yourself an ultimatum but sometimes something comes onto the list that you don't expect. Amazon Gift Card, Painting Services, who knows.

I'm hoping to cash in on some Heroscape or WofG WWI materials which haven't (and likely won't) appeared, but I wanted to get my stuff up there to get people looking.

Or you can just sell them for cash and buy what you want with it.

S.

More
22 Apr 2014 12:00 #176266 by SuperflyPete
Cash in on some Heroscape, meaning you WANT it, or meaning you HAVE it and want to DIVEST yourself of it?

More
22 Apr 2014 12:02 #176267 by Bull Nakano

SuperflyTNT wrote: Dave,
Set them up as bundles, so that you can offload 3-4 ones you don't want for 1 that you really want, and that is expensive, rare, valuable, etc.

I feel like bundles in MTs don't work as well as you'd think. A group of 3+ unrelated games are usually going to attract people who see 1 game in there they want, so the traders and tradees value of the lot might differ too much and make it hard to move. I'd keep bundles to 2 big games or 1 big game and a few small games, unless you just want to move things for the sake of moving them.

More
22 Apr 2014 12:03 #176268 by Sagrilarus
Want it. My one boy wants Knights for his birthday, but I'm looking for stuff in general. I don't think I even own half of it so there's room to grow.

More
22 Apr 2014 12:22 #176273 by san il defanso
I can't speak for anyone else, but I have a terrible time trying to sell off anything that isn't a hot-right-now kind of game.

More
22 Apr 2014 13:21 #176282 by Michael Barnes
YES that is definitely the case...it's odd. Selling stuff that would have been VERY attractive and at a good price is hard right now unless it's something that is less than a couple of months old. People are not buying "backcatalouge" like they used to, even when priced at a huge discount. I don't get it.

Anyway, everybody back up from that copy of Beowulf...I've been wanting to play that again badly for some reason...and I didn't even like it.

More
22 Apr 2014 13:38 #176287 by VonTush

Michael Barnes wrote: People are not buying "backcatalouge" like they used to, even when priced at a huge discount. I don't get it.

I think there are quite a few factors at play on that topic, but overall I think there is no desire to look back to see where games have been and the evolution of them over time. There's also a plethora of new games coming out that will suit most anyone's tastes so you don't have to "look back" so to speak to expand your game options. Then there's marketing schemes for new games where old games are based off of reputation. Then the mentality that "If it was good it'd be reprinted by now". The automatic assumption that "Modern" equals better.

More
22 Apr 2014 13:54 #176291 by Bull Nakano

Michael Barnes wrote: YES that is definitely the case...it's odd. Selling stuff that would have been VERY attractive and at a good price is hard right now unless it's something that is less than a couple of months old. People are not buying "backcatalouge" like they used to, even when priced at a huge discount. I don't get it.

Anyway, everybody back up from that copy of Beowulf...I've been wanting to play that again badly for some reason...and I didn't even like it.

Back catalouge is about all I'm interested in. There were only a few 2013 releases I was interested in adding to my collection, and I've got them all. There are several I'd like to play still, but am not in a rush. This year is looking the same.

I think the problem is the proliferation of the hobby, we're at a point where 1000 hobby games come out per year, most of these have some competency in design and most of them can move at least a few hundred units. With such depth the cream is pushed even higher to the top and games like Beowulf (which is a fine game) fail to find an audience as it's old, mediocre, and in a big box. What's more, these games physically have trouble finding shelves to stay on. So what's going to happen as the industry continues churning out something we already have too much of? What will happen to the "weak 7" crowd of games that have lost most of their playability simply due to the desert having more grains of sand. I feel like non-evergreen or non-rare board games days of maintaining value are numbered. The pace of the hobby is too quick for the pace of the hobby.

More
22 Apr 2014 13:57 - 22 Apr 2014 14:01 #176292 by Sagrilarus
Some old games get hot on short notice. I traded a $15 copy of Fjords for $70 worth of games last month. Cleopatra and the Society of Architects is pulling trade requests from Norway and Italy, El Grande is starting to get attention now too. But you're right, these are rare beasts and one whiff of reprint and the moment is gone.

Beowulf: The Legend always has three or four copies in math trades. I recently heard it referred to as a good game that takes time to appreciate. In theory my group will play it soon (we're playing every owned title once this year) but that's only if I still own it when it's card comes up. We'll see how it goes.
Last edit: 22 Apr 2014 14:01 by Sagrilarus.

More
22 Apr 2014 18:56 #176320 by Da Bid Dabid
I'm not looking for many games, but if someone is willing to trade a wired Xbox 360 controller (want to use with PC). I'd be motivated to put some stuff up.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds