October 09, 2023
2218 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2438 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Re: Wings of War / Wings of Glory Support Group

More
07 Feb 2016 12:28 #221905 by Gary Sax
I don't even think F:ATties love rolling dice enough to do that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Feb 2016 13:17 #221907 by Sagrilarus
There aren't even any dice.

Too big. They're just a vanity purchase as far as I'm concerned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD

More
07 Feb 2016 13:25 #221909 by Gary Sax
Ha, that's right! Wings uses those cards.

More
12 Jun 2017 12:08 #249743 by fastbilly1
To bump an old post. What is a good starter set for WW1?

To be fully open about it, if the game is as great as yall say and plays quickly. I plan on getting a couple of the WW1 starter sets, then build wooden planes and play a larger scale game in the garden. There is a guy up north that plays a version of Boxkites with biplanes made out of clothespins every 4th of July. His game is a bit too complicated for most of the folk who come to parties at my house (its like a simplified Starfleet battles), so something like Wings of Glory would be perfect. Even if I have to make big templates out of wire or foam.

I played my first few xwing games in well over a year last weekend and think I am done with it. I read alot of EU and still didnt know half of the ships... Id much rather fly some biplanes and eventually move into WW2.

More
12 Jun 2017 12:35 - 12 Jun 2017 12:37 #249744 by Sagrilarus
The two Duel Packs are a great choice to start, should come in under $50 at the discount houses for both if you want to go big. That's four planes and double the damage decks for them if you buy both. Either one on its own is good playing as well.

www.coolstuffinc.com/p/185455
www.coolstuffinc.com/p/185454

I like flying matching models of planes in pairs, so you can buy one Duel Pack and then buy a matching single for each of the two planes in the Duel Pack. Likely about the same price as buying the two Duel Packs, maybe a couple of bucks cheaper.

www.coolstuffinc.com/p/184169
www.coolstuffinc.com/p/184161
www.coolstuffinc.com/p/184173
www.coolstuffinc.com/p/184165

If you really like the game you can go for the Rules & Accessories Pack, but that is something I'd purchase after being sure you enjoy the game first.
Last edit: 12 Jun 2017 12:37 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, fastbilly1

More
13 Jun 2017 14:54 #249811 by fastbilly1
Thats what I figured Sag. I bought both the starters to get all four decks.

More
14 Jun 2017 22:45 #249909 by celticgriffon
I haven't logged into the aerodrome in a while but I still have a shit tonne of product. Probably 2k worth all in total. In the 'drome I posted some head to head (rock, paper scisors head to head collision cards) and also created a pretty detailed campaign which needs a bunch of testing and updates. It bogged in its own mire.. My love for WWI aircraft games can definitely be traced back to Mike Carr's Dawn Patrol (Flight in the Skies). Such a cracking system.

More
19 Jun 2017 10:16 #250119 by fastbilly1
Game came in Saturday, got it open and to the table last night. Played a round with simplified rules to make sure I understood how the mechanics worked (straight damage only and no altitude). After the five minutes it took to fly that, the wife came in and we played without altitude rules and had a blast. We played four games then called it a night. Each one being Fokker vs Camel. Only after we played the fourth game did we grab the other planes but saved them for tonight. Playing with the cards was perfect, do they just sell movement decks and plane cards?

It will scale up fine, once I get access to a bandsaw again to make the movement parts.

More
20 Jun 2017 22:34 #250213 by celticgriffon
The cards do work better than the miniatures. The planes can get messy once they start bunching together. But of course the visual element is so much less with cards only.

The old line, Wings of War, had card decks available for purchase. I haven't, however, seen these available in the new line up. Your best bet may be ebay, or www.wingsofwar.org or on bgg.

Glad you are enjoying the game. It is pretty awesome. Btw.. make sure you download the collision cards on the wingsofwar.org site. I had an artist make them and they add a rock, paper, scisors mini-game when your cards overlap.

Cheers,
Michael

More
27 Jun 2020 19:04 - 27 Jun 2020 21:17 #311443 by ChristopherMD
Now that Tripods & Triplanes has been out for a while, what are people's opinions of it?
Last edit: 27 Jun 2020 21:17 by ChristopherMD.

More
29 Jun 2020 22:56 #311502 by Sagrilarus

ChristopherMD wrote: Now that Tripods & Triplanes has been out for a while, what are people's opinions of it?

I have not seen a copy in real life. So I can’t help you out on this one.

More
28 Jul 2020 09:39 - 28 Jul 2020 09:54 #312531 by Sagrilarus
Yeah, I just bought five more airplanes. $100. I really need to stop doing this. My reputation as the cheapest bastard on this website is clearly in peril this week.

These are the original Wings of War models, World War II ETO. Three spits (one of which is a dupe for me but likely worth $40) and two 109s, these will work nicely with the Battle of Britain setup. I have a lot of planes from this era of Nexus/Ares, but not these, and the earlier models were finer, more detailed. These won't reprint and even if they did they won't be the same.

So I believe I've filled out WGS2 Series 1 plus have the matching pair from the original WGS Deluxe set that sells for just shy of a million dollars now. I bought the deluxe set years back and bought a wingman for each of the four planes in it. This purchase has the two 109s and two Spitfires I passed up at the time, plus a duplicate of the one wingman I bought, and that I can likely sell for the most money, maybe cover half the purchase price.

I keep having this happen. I have a lot of these airplanes. But someone reaches out and explains that they're selling and I look at my list and theirs and it's remarkable how often they manage to thread the needle on what I don't have. At some point (in theory) this stops happening, right?

Side note -- the Germans lost the air war due to boredom. While the British were fielding planes with bad-ass nicknames like Spitfire and Hurricane, the Germans were showing up with 109s and 110s. The Japanese were even worse. "Hey baby, I fly an A6M2" ain't the fastest way to get laid in Rabaul. Given the size of the economies that both Germany and Japan controlled, huge when you include their conquered territories, they had a real shot. But their pilots woke up every morning, looked across the field and thought, "jeeze, I gotta climb into THAT thing again? Maybe I need to find a nice, quiet place to get shot down over. British food can't be as bad as everyone says it is.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2020 09:54 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ChristopherMD, Brewmiester

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds