October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Upcoming 2014 games of interest

More
04 Jun 2014 12:53 #179634 by Bull Nakano
Just wondering what's on everyone's radars and why.

Battle of the Five Armies - A followup to WotR, I know little about it, but just being a followup to WotR is enough for me. Waiting for reviews.

Dead of Winter - Really hoping this one is as good as the hype. It seems really cool and extensively playtested, but I haven't been too impressed with PHG outside of Summoner Wars.

Sons of Anarchy - Don't know anything about it, but it's this year's Gale Force 9 game which is easily enough to make me pay attention.

King of New York - Richard Garfield's follow up to King of Tokyo, same deal as the above Sons of Anarchy, interested by default, don't know anything.

Spurs - An old west adventure game. It seems cool, but the low number of components worry me. Hopefully demoing at Origins next week.

Alien Uprising - I was so close to backing this on KS, it seemed really cool and was designed by Richard Lanius, hoping to play it first, maybe it'll be demoed at Origins too?

Doomtown: Reloaded - Ok, this is a semi-reprint in another skin, but Doomtown was a fun game. Looking to hear how this plays out of the box.

Sheriff of Nottingham - A re-theming of Hart an der Grenze, which has never had a US release, there are apparently other changes too. I'll probably pick this up unless the changes look bad, I like the theme of smuggling drugs more, but I'll live.

Shadows of Brimstone - Mostly interested if this game can live up to it's promises or if it's another bland Flying Frog game. The theme is cool.

Diamonds - A trick taking game in the vein of traditional card games designed by Mike Fitzgerald. Always interested in his work.

Baseball Highlights - Another Fitzgerald game, this seems kind of like BB:TM, but geared for two players.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2014 12:58 #179635 by bfkiller
SeaFall and Dead of Winter are the only two that have caught my interest. And thank Christ for that. I've spent about a third the amount on games in 2014 than I spent by this time last year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gregarius

More
04 Jun 2014 13:07 #179637 by SuperflyPete
Hotseatgames has extensive knowledge and experience with Dead of Winter and said it rocks, and Jerry Hawthorne indicated it was pretty awesome.

High praise from people with AT tastes is a good sign.

Sadly, none of the mainstream games recently interest me much, including Dead of Winter. I'm really looking to get some of the games I've missed over the past couple of years.

More
04 Jun 2014 13:18 #179640 by san il defanso
Hey, the Kremlin reprint is going to be on shelves soon. US backers should be getting their copies this week.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse

More
04 Jun 2014 13:19 #179641 by hotseatgames
I'm excited to get my copy of Dead of Winter. People won't be disappointed; if the setup appeals to you, you will be happy.

I also really want my copy of Incursion from kickstarter.

I will likely grab the Warhammer Diskwars expansions when they drop.

I don't know anything about King of New York; if it's more of the same I'll pass but King of Tokyo earned its keep, so who knows.

More
04 Jun 2014 16:11 #179658 by Bull Nakano

San Il Defanso wrote: Hey, the Kremlin reprint is going to be on shelves soon. US backers should be getting their copies this week.

Mine just arrived now! This is a pretty impressive reprint. Good art, good components, box is packed like a brick. I skimmed the rules and they look well organized. There's as much historical notes included in the back as there are rules. If you're interested in Kremlin, you should probably pick it up, it's $21 on csi, and this is a really high quality edition.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
04 Jun 2014 17:01 #179659 by Msample
It may not hit KS til later this year, but Lost Battalion is coming out with a 4X game set in the Traveler Universe that uses a pre programmed OPS/card thing to plan then execute your moves. Played a short game at CSW Expo last week. It passes the sniff test from what I saw.

More
04 Jun 2014 17:36 #179663 by repoman
Thunder Alley is shipping in the next week or two. Only new game that had any of my interest until Q4 when the Fields of Fire sequel may or may not come out.

More
04 Jun 2014 17:44 #179664 by SuperflyPete
Actually, that Doom and Gloom: Survival one interests me a lot.

But only because it so closely resembles a game I created...which I cannot show any longer because the BGG photos I uploaded are deleted...when I nuked my account.

More
04 Jun 2014 17:51 #179666 by ChristopherMD
Incursion.

Several expansions for games I like.

Always possible I'll play something new and want to buy it, but I don't have any interest in anything right now. I have plenty of favorites sitting on my shelf. No need to take time away from them for new stuff.

More
04 Jun 2014 18:13 #179667 by Sevej
Dead of Winter for sure. Not that I can afford it currently :(

More
04 Jun 2014 18:16 #179668 by hotseatgames
Does anyone know anything about the micro expansion for Spartacus that's coming out at Gen Con? I'm hoping it's not just a few market cards.

More
04 Jun 2014 18:20 #179670 by Aarontu
Talisman: Woodlands expansion - because Talisman. Looks like it is going to add some cool stuff.

More
04 Jun 2014 19:23 #179676 by drewcula
It's shaping up to be an expansion year for me too:
exp 1) Wiz-War
exp 2) Spartacus
exp 3) Blood Bowl Team Manager
exp 4) Zombicide Season 3? I don't know about this one, but the thread title is "interest" - so I'm typing it.
exp 5) Wave 4 of X-Wing. I saw the ships in action last weekend; the Phantom & E-Wing are awesome!
exp 6) Dreadball's follow up - Dreadball Xteme. My Dreadball league is ALL IN, so we'll eventually get 12 new teams.

Of course there's Sea Fall. Can. Not. Wait.

And then I'm suppose to get a bunch of micro games from TMG. This Town Ain't Big Enough for the 2-4 of us seems the coolest.

Oh yeah, I'm also looking forward to Tiny Epic Kingdoms.

More
04 Jun 2014 19:59 #179681 by DukeofChutney
SeaFall.

Iceland Saga (Phil Eklund)

Pax Renaissance (also Eklund)

Impulse (Chudyk), not widely distributed yet

not a lot else atm.

Dead of Winter is on the radar, but I havent really hit it off with a plaid hat game yet.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.607 seconds