October 09, 2023
2475 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2680 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Oh no more Zombies!

More
11 Jun 2014 14:21 #180280 by Josh Look
Replied by Josh Look on topic Re: Oh no more Zombies!
Dinosaurs.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jun 2014 14:26 #180281 by Mr. White
Replied by Mr. White on topic Re: Oh no more Zombies!

Marcussen wrote: I considered a western M&M at one point. So many cool locations and weapons - and it lends itself naturally to scarce resources.

This is what I'd prefer. Not enough western games out there and this sounds like a great idea.

Oh, I'd also be in favor of leaving zombies out of it.

More
11 Jun 2014 15:05 #180288 by Ska_baron
Replied by Ska_baron on topic Re: Oh no more Zombies!
Have to say that I still love Zombies, but would fear Dead of Winter will be covering the ground you're hoping to.

That said, aliens (actually as described by Pete) would still be just as awesome in my mind and have a bit of newness to it at least in the current marketplace.

In any event, excited to see what you're working on!

More
11 Jun 2014 15:06 #180289 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: Oh no more Zombies!

Michael Barnes wrote: Would I play a Marcussen zombie game? Probably, but it would be because of the designer's track record of making best-in-genre titles, not the subject matter.

To me here is your answer. You have the chops to get these zombie haters to begrudgingly play the game. To those who do not know of your chops, like my wife and casual gamer friends, they'll play because of the zombie theme.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, bfkiller

More
11 Jun 2014 15:07 #180290 by hotseatgames
Dead of Winter is not tactical combat at all, at least in terms of moving minis from square to square, line of sight, etc. Nothing like that.

More
11 Jun 2014 15:22 #180293 by SuperflyPete
I like that, Mike.

hey, remember timing: if it launches around the same time as the Plaid Hat game, the question is whether people will buy into a new publisher's game or a Plaid Hat game that launches near the same time.

Economics should be a consideration.

More
11 Jun 2014 15:29 #180294 by san il defanso

Marcussen wrote:

dragonstout wrote: As has been said by a FEW people above: go with zombies. Just because some people here are sick of zombies does not mean that is remotely true of the world at large.

True, but I still think its a general sentiment. And Zombicide has a huge following it seems. Of course what I would do is different, but I can have my doubts how well it could sell with people commited to Zombicide.

I don't think Zombicide has a following so much as a secondary market. I wouldn't take that as an example of much anything.

More
11 Jun 2014 15:59 #180297 by Black Barney
You make it zombies-looking and your game becomes invisible on the shelf of the gamestore. It's like designing a car that looks like the Impala.

Maybe try to think of what the next big theme is going to be. It's not vampires, it's not zombies, we know that. And then try to be ahead of the curve to catch the uptick when that theme gains popularity.

Like you make a tactical survival game based on Hunger Games or something. Archers, melee fighters, random appearing monstrosities from the game-master or just from the design itself of the game. It starts off as a co-op type of thing and everyone knows they will eventually have to turn on each other at some point.

And the only way for there to be two winners is if two players pretend to be in love and kiss. Also, the person that looks the most like Jena Malone has to take her clothes off

More
11 Jun 2014 16:12 #180299 by Michael Barnes

Black Barney wrote: Maybe try to think of what the next big theme is going to be. It's not vampires, it's not zombies, we know that. And then try to be ahead of the curve to catch the uptick when that theme gains popularity.

It's going to be Obamacare, the ultimate in conservative horror. You could even call it THANKS OBAMA: THE GAME.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
11 Jun 2014 16:26 #180300 by Applejack
Replied by Applejack on topic Re: Oh no more Zombies!
How about a ship crashes on some remote island, and the survivors have to deal with giant insects, a la Peter Jackson's King Kong? Giant friggin' bugs scare the hell out of me way more than zombies.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.487 seconds