October 09, 2023
2454 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Rab's top ten games

More
11 Jul 2014 12:49 #182034 by SuperflyPete
Jerry Hawthorne said it best about reviews: "I just want to know if it's fun." Some people want this authoritative criticism, and that's definitely an underserved market. The opposite is a sea of reviews from people who can't write or spell particularly well, can't seem to form a decent sentence, or the worst of them all, the infomercials.

There's room for every kind of review, and people will gravitate towards the kinds of reviews that deliver the kind of information that they are seeking. Those who want the deeper variety of criticism will read Barnes, those who want to be convinced to buy something they already are dead-set on buying anyhow will go to their go-to guys or propagandist sources, and the people who just want to know if it's fun and why will go to people like me.

Everyone has their own predilections and it's a good thing that there's so many voices, on one hand, but the problem is that there is so much white noise in the background from every Tom, Dick, or Harry that has a keyboard that it's hard to find someone you can relate to and who can tell you what you want to know IN THE WAY YOU WANT TO LEARN IT. That last part is the important part.

Some people learn by doing, some learn by seeing, and some learn by reading. That's why this all works, because everyone is served by someone who delivers content on their level.

I like DownTimeTown and I'm actually really disappointed that it's gone away. I started the Circus primarily because I found so many reviews boring and/or uninformative, so I wanted to write articles that were entertaining (to people who share my fucked up sense of humor) but still told people the important what/how/why/is it fun points that make a review worth writing. I think Rab has that down pat, and that's why he has remained popular. If you expect a successful comedy writer to do Peter Jennings reviews, you're daft. Never going to happen, and it shouldn't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Erik Twice

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2014 13:24 #182037 by dragonstout
Replied by dragonstout on topic Re: Rab's top ten games

SuperflyTNT wrote: Jerry Hawthorne said it best about reviews: "I just want to know if it's fun." Some people want this authoritative criticism, and that's definitely an underserved market. The opposite is a sea of reviews from people who can't write or spell particularly well, can't seem to form a decent sentence, or the worst of them all, the infomercials.

There's room for every kind of review, and people will gravitate towards the kinds of reviews that deliver the kind of information that they are seeking. Those who want the deeper variety of criticism will read Barnes, those who want to be convinced to buy something they already are dead-set on buying anyhow will go to their go-to guys or propagandist sources, and the people who just want to know if it's fun and why will go to people like me.

Everyone has their own predilections and it's a good thing that there's so many voices, on one hand, but the problem is that there is so much white noise in the background from every Tom, Dick, or Harry that has a keyboard that it's hard to find someone you can relate to and who can tell you what you want to know IN THE WAY YOU WANT TO LEARN IT. That last part is the important part.

Some people learn by doing, some learn by seeing, and some learn by reading. That's why this all works, because everyone is served by someone who delivers content on their level.

I like DownTimeTown and I'm actually really disappointed that it's gone away. I started the Circus primarily because I found so many reviews boring and/or uninformative, so I wanted to write articles that were entertaining (to people who share my fucked up sense of humor) but still told people the important what/how/why/is it fun points that make a review worth writing. I think Rab has that down pat, and that's why he has remained popular. If you expect a successful comedy writer to do Peter Jennings reviews, you're daft. Never going to happen, and it shouldn't.

Pete, just wanted to say that your reviewing skillz have gotten WAY the hell better over the last five years. Actually, it seemed like it was a pretty sudden jump in quality, right around when you made some rant about how bad most reviewers are. I noticed and I appreciate it!

More
14 Jul 2014 05:30 #182185 by DeletedUser
Replied by DeletedUser on topic Re: Rab's top ten games
Watched Rab's entire Top 50 on my daily commute today. A solid list, but far too many euros to be taken seriously. As a fellow father, it was good to see a great Dad joking around with his kid daughter. It also reminded me that I miss Downtimetown. And that makes me sad. But then I like Romans and naughty stuff too and that makes me feel a bit better.

More
18 Jul 2014 14:04 #182509 by Rafael Silva
Fuck you Michael Barnes.

Of course that doesn’t mean anything to you; you do not care about Barnes and doesn’t even know who I am. Well, that is the very cruxes of my argument and the birth of my disappointment with Barnes. It does not matter who you are, if you were funny before or if you like the same games that I do, every word that you speak or write have to stand on its own.

Barnes was rightly frustrated and Pete wrong as always that pointing to something and saying that it is fun it rocks it is awesome, that you are having a BLAST! with it it’s not enough.

To have fun with something is so subjective that what we enjoy can help define us. To some people, to actually pause and look inside ourselves and those around us for why we had fun, can be too similar to gazing upon the looking glass, it can be frightening, but that is what a reviewer job is. To, through empathy and technical knowledge, get to the bottom of it.

All is fine and well with Rab’s video for what it is, but WHY do people felt the need to defend him against criticism? It’s a fucking internet forum, this site used to be proud of people backing what they are saying, if the video maker is here all the more reason to let him respond and not suck his cock with let’s be nice. “Let’s dumb down our reviews!” “We want less depth!” “Don’t even review it just make a poll: Did you had fun with dis gam, Y/Y?” It’s a game, of course you will have fun with it!!! I have fun picking my nose CARALHO!

You dipshits have so many options, so many games that you don’t even care about if what someone is telling you about a game holds water or not.

And that’s why you lost credibility right here, Barnes.

You backed down! You were right and backed down to please!
You guys finally did it, your praise for mediocrity won! FILHOS DA PUTA
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

More
18 Jul 2014 14:55 - 18 Jul 2014 15:00 #182511 by SuperflyPete
It's Friday!

This video, my reviews, Barnes' reviews...they all have people who use them for their own enjoyment. If you don't enjoy them, then obviously you're not the target market for that particular content product. Perhaps you should stop reading, since it's obvious that you don't like them. Continuing to do so and then whining that they're not what you wanted or complaining about them indicates that you just want something to bitch about and feel superior to.

Some people just want to read something a little funny, and informative enough to make you want to find out more somewhere else. Not everyone wants a thesis paper, and honestly, if you're expecting a doctoral thesis defense or some such thing, you might want to bring something to do while you wait. Read it if you want, watch it if you want, and if you didn't like it, fuck right off and please feel free to choke on a steaming pile of severed dicks on the way out the door. It wasn't meant for you or your kind anyhow. If you had PAID for the content, well, then you'd have a right to complain, and I'd be standing with you right there, pitchfork in hand. But you didn't, and none of us do, so therefore if you want to bitch, feel free to do so, but I will feel free to remind you that you're being a snobby, selfish cunt who believes that everything must be to your standards SIMPLY BECAUSE YOU WANT IT TO BE. The fact is that Rab does what he does because he wants to, and lots of people like his sense of humor and enthusiasm.

Most of the "critical", self absorbed shitheels that I've read reviews from (and who are worshipped by the Power Grid crowd) are so utterly boring to read that I reckon that when they're not writing, they're sitting in a dark room, dreaming of their sisters, and trying desperately to maintain an erection despite years of failure.

So, the TLDR version: It was never for you, and you know it, so you are just whining because you didn't get what you wanted, when you wanted, how you wanted, for free. You remind me of the folks who walk around wearing Firefly garb whose sole purpose in life is to bitch about the best show EVAR being cancelled, despite them only ever seeing it on downloaded MP4s from BitTorrent, and never having paid for a thing.

PS: Thanks, Andy. I started being more critical and more informative because I was sick of this lot shitting on my dick jokes. Sort of a "I can prove I can do it" so that when I go back to dick jokes, I will at least ONCE have been as good as I ever was.

PPS: You know, I've spend hundreds on shipping, sending review games to my readers. I just dropped $500 or so with GoDaddy to get my own site, purely so that my readers don't have to see any advertisements. In return, I've gotten not a single dollar from any reader, ever, anywhere on the planet. I haven't even had a reader buy me a fucking beer. So, in my estimation, I think I'm the one who calls the shots on what, how, and when I write. And so I guess I'm "being wrong" because I feel entitled to write what I want, how I want, and when I want, for WHO I WANT, since after all, I'm the only one who puts in any time, effort, or financial support into my site. TL;DR: Change that "steaming severed dicks" to "diseased, steaming, severed dicks" please.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2014 15:00 by SuperflyPete.

More
18 Jul 2014 15:07 - 18 Jul 2014 15:08 #182517 by Rafael Silva
Well Pete, two things:

1 - I like your reviews.
2 - How the hell did you made what I wrote be about you?
Last edit: 18 Jul 2014 15:08 by Rafael Silva.

More
18 Jul 2014 15:10 - 18 Jul 2014 15:12 #182518 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: Rab's top ten games

SuperflyTNT wrote: I haven't even had a reader buy me a fucking beer.

I told you before. Come to WBC and I'll buy you a beer. If I can get there from the ass end of nowhere you can too.

Yeah, fuck you snob boy. 29 posts and you think you know the crowd.

2 - How the hell did you made what I wrote be about you?

It's a family thing...you wouldn't understand

Where's your contribution to making us all content?
Last edit: 18 Jul 2014 15:12 by ThirstyMan.

More
18 Jul 2014 15:22 #182522 by Rafael Silva
Oh! Defenders assemble!

Looks like you're one of those guys that thinks that you have to do it to criticize. Pífio.

Don't be butthurt because I made fun of your poll idea

More
18 Jul 2014 15:44 #182524 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: Rab's top ten games

Rafael Silva wrote: Looks like you're one of those guys that thinks that you have to do it to criticize. Pífio.

Don't be butthurt because I made fun of your poll idea

Yeah, someone else that really knows me well. Please take the time to psychoanalyze me from the position of no knowledge whatsoever. No idea what your ref to polls means, I guess it was a typo, you meant poles. Now I understand.

What is butt? Is that an actual word? I thought that was part of a cigarette. You're right, I do smoke sometimes. It's so difficult to translate Americanisms, don't you think, especially when they are trying to be insulting? Oh wait, I get it now. You referring to anal sex or something or pushing something up my bottom. Oh yeah, that's really funny, well done. I will definitely add that to my lexicon.

More
18 Jul 2014 15:51 #182525 by Rafael Silva
Look, why don't you take the time and cool down? Read what I wrote up there. Twice if need be.

This shit is getting old.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds