October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Rab's top ten games

More
18 Jul 2014 16:16 - 18 Jul 2014 16:18 #182528 by scissors
Replied by scissors on topic Re: Rab's top ten games
Silva said: You dipshits have so many options, so many games that you don’t even care about if what someone is telling you about a game holds water or not.

If you can't tell you're being a condescending asshole, let me point that out for you, Don Quixote.
Last edit: 18 Jul 2014 16:18 by scissors.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2014 16:19 #182529 by dragonstout
Replied by dragonstout on topic Re: Rab's top ten games

SuperflyTNT wrote: PS: Thanks, Andy. I started being more critical and more informative because I was sick of this lot shitting on my dick jokes. Sort of a "I can prove I can do it" so that when I go back to dick jokes, I will at least ONCE have been as good as I ever was.

Yeah, when it was all dick jokes all the time, I couldn't even read your reviews; I thought you and Matt Drake spelled the new trend of unreadable reviews around here. But it's not even that you just took your old dick-filled reviews and stripped out the dicks, you replaced those dicks with really helpful content; you've saved me money and also gotten me my money's worth. Whenever someone asks about a game and you post a link here to your review now, I think "what's the point of that, surely anyone thinking about a game has read Pete's review already???" So yeah. Your reviews are still funny and entertaining, too, they're just a lot less in love with themselves, a lot less "need to put a joke in every sentence".

More
18 Jul 2014 17:11 #182531 by black inferno
More than any other subset of the internet's unwashed masses, you can always count on gamers for incoherent tough-guy posturing and casual misogyny! Congratulations, team.

More
18 Jul 2014 17:15 #182532 by Rafael Silva

scissors wrote: Silva said: You dipshits have so many options, so many games that you don’t even care about if what someone is telling you about a game holds water or not.

If you can't tell you're being a condescending asshole, let me point that out for you, Don Quixote.

I apologize if I came across this way scissors. However, I hope you can see my point:

I don't have the same access to board games as most of you. I can't borrow a friends copy, I can't see the components, I can't even look at a game box in a store.

When I buy a board game I have to pay at least as much in shipping and then maybe be taxed +60% of order+shipping when it arrives a month later sometimes in a damaged box. That makes every purchase very important. I didn't want to rely so much in reviews, I have to.

In-depth and thorough analysis are important. When people in a board game site act like this kind of review is snob or some metaphysical thing I found that strange. It looked like people didn't really cared because it is easy to buy a game and if you don't like it just sell it. There are people who needs them, I am one of them.

As I said in the post you quoted and after, I like Pete's reviews and thought Rab's video was fine. I was frustrated at Barnes for backing down in something important to me.

More
18 Jul 2014 17:16 #182533 by SuperflyPete

Rafael Silva wrote: Well Pete, two things:

1 - I like your reviews.
2 - How the hell did you made what I wrote be about you?

1 - Thanks, you should. I'm awesome. Sometimes.
2 - It's not. This is what you call a "Friday Freakout" where I arbitrarily pick a post and explode with hate and vitriol.

Honestly, I'm in the middle of removing and installing my dashboard on my car, and it's waaaay fucking more work than I had hoped. I just want to punch a kitten or something right now, and on a break I decided to read something. This was the first thing.

More
18 Jul 2014 17:32 #182534 by Rafael Silva

1 - Thanks, you should. I'm awesome. Sometimes.
2 - It's not. This is what you call a "Friday Freakout" where I arbitrarily pick a post and explode with hate and vitriol.

Honestly, I'm in the middle of removing and installing my dashboard on my car, and it's waaaay fucking more work than I had hoped. I just want to punch a kitten or something right now, and on a break I decided to read something. This was the first thing.

I witnessed a lot of Friday Freakouts here, it's all good.

You were still wrong, though.

More than any other subset of the internet's unwashed masses, you can always count on gamers for incoherent tough-guy posturing and casual misogyny! Congratulations, team.

Good to know we have a member of the PC Police here!

More
18 Jul 2014 17:37 #182535 by black inferno

Rafael Silva wrote:

Good to know we have a member of the PC Police here!

Hey buddy, I wouldn't dream of infringing your right to marginalize and dehumanize half the world's population!

More
18 Jul 2014 18:23 - 18 Jul 2014 18:31 #182538 by scissors
Replied by scissors on topic Re: Rab's top ten games
n-depth and thorough analysis are important. When people in a board game site act like this kind of review is snob or some metaphysical thing I found that strange.

I see where you are coming from. Yeah, luckily there is room for both more in depth stuff like Barnes and more joke stuff like Rob's as well as the still great Tom Vasel and Shut Up and Sit Down etc. Those four, in any case, are maybe the important ones for me. You can choose based on your mood. I dunno, I kind of thought Barnes came in heavy here but I get that Robert was on his lawn so to speak. They are both big guns in my book :)
Last edit: 18 Jul 2014 18:31 by scissors.

More
19 Jul 2014 14:55 - 19 Jul 2014 14:59 #182567 by SuperflyPete
That is what I meant: Rab's video is meant for a certain market. You are not it. So, since you didn't pay for the access to watch it, you can bitch about it all you want but you will come off as a self-centered, entitled individual. You have to accept that not all reviews will be the kind you want to read it watch, so really, you should accept that with the sea of infomercials and actual reviews out there, you can find something that suits your goals and tastes.

I rarely read reviews, though. I think the last one I read was for Robinson Crusoe, and it was long before it came out. I get most of my gaming info here from conversations, and if I get interested enough I'll start a "Let's Talk" type thread to get more info. Honestly, I don't put much stock in reviews because they rarely give me what I really want: the opinions of a crowd of people, rather than just one guy who has played a TON of games and has been influenced by his experience.

It seems to me that the best information comes from people who are just looking for fun, not some cerebral event. It's because my tastes skew two totally divergent directions: rules light/strategy heavy and DOAM. So, most games just don't interest me, least of all, card-only games like Deckbuilders.

I think thats why we get it right at the circus so often - it's mostly inexperienced (or at least, used to be) people who are looking for a fun way to hang and kill some time. No power-gamers, not a single academic (my main group consists of a former SEAL, his ex-nurse wife, and their two chronically unemployed daughters, plus me and my wife (a fitness instructor) and my 13 year old honors student daughter who is quite immature (who'd have guessed) in many ways. Not a single one played many games beyond Clue (one was an old Tactics II fan, to be fair) and so they play games with a mostly open mind, and they are exceptional judges of what a boring game is. I parse their opinions and temper them with experience since I am the only really experienced one of them. Beat of all, none buy any games, none go to any other groups, and they are outside of the hobby inasmuch as they aren't aware of BGG or any other gaming site, and this are immune to the hype cycle.

Some games they won't like, I take to my other group that is made up of an actuary big-shot who works for a powerful insurance company and his wife (a book seller), both of whom are very well educated and experienced, with the husband being a gamer since he was young...he is actually one of the best Risk players in the world.

So, I have resources on which to use to get a fair evaluation, which many reviewers don't have.
Last edit: 19 Jul 2014 14:59 by SuperflyPete.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds