October 09, 2023
2452 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Help me with my DOAM problem ...

More
23 Jul 2014 08:28 #182767 by bryce0lynch
I know this is long, but I could use your help.

I've been taking a HARD look at what I own. This has been going on for a couple of years now and I'm down to about 50 games. With GenCon coming up I'm thinking hard about another purge. I don't want crap. I don't want stuff that I almost never play. I'd rather play my best games more than dig out some nostalgia.

These are the DOAM type games I have:
DoA2 - the most perfect game ever. SERIOUSLY love this game.
Block Mania - Crazy fun. I made a 16p version.
Memoir 44 - Most of the expansions. Love it.
Battletech
Mage Knight (just arrived)

Nexus Ops - (old version)

Fortress America - (new one)
Axis & Allies - (the old one)
Friedrich
Gammarauders (with factoids)
Heroscape (a couple of sets)
Viktory II (8p)

DOA2, M44, and Block Mania are games I LUV and am keeping forever and ever. I am leaning heavily toward keeping Nexus as well. I would like to play these games more.

The others are games I almost never play. Like, once every 3-4 years never play. Am I wrong? I mean, it's not like I can't just go re-buy the things if I figure I made a bad decision. A&A & FAT are both "team" games with a "good" number of players. Friedrich is dry. Gammarauders is not as good as Block Mania, Heroscape is not as good as DOA2, V2 is a decent game but the theme is dry and I always go to a better theme games.

I am also waffling on Heroscape because my son like it. He like DOA2 a lot more, but I thought maybe I might give it to him when he goes off to college or something. But ... wouldn't he rather have a full set of DOA2 instead?

I've been considering: War of the Ring, TI3, Kemet, Queens Gambit. Mostly because I still feel like there's a gap. Maybe something like V2, but not as dry? I like a free-for-all more than a team game.

Any advice you folks can offer on the stuff I'm thinking about ditching or stuff I may want to think about picking up?

Also on the chopping block, if you care to comment:
Survive (old version) - Downfall of Pompeii is better in every way. Lots more infighting.
Star Trek Adventure Game - Arabian Nights is not 2p. But man, I love that ST game!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Jul 2014 08:37 #182768 by repoman
Mage Knight really isn't a "Dudes on a Map" game. Superficially maybe, but it is really it's own thing. I think it's one of the most original and enduring games of the last few years. I think 10 to 15 to 20 years it will still be talked about, remembered and played, though of course very hard to get. My advice, keep it and play it more.

As for the rest, if you need to purge for whatever reason. Keep what you play and ditch the others.

War of the Ring is also a great great game. The real question is, do you have any 2 player game nights where it will get used? If so, go for it. Of course...you'll have to do some painting. The mini's out of the box need color differentiation.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

More
23 Jul 2014 08:55 #182771 by bryce0lynch

repoman wrote: War of the Ring is also a great great game. The real question is, do you have any 2 player game nights where it will get used? If so, go for it. Of course...you'll have to do some painting. The mini's out of the box need color differentiation.

I am philosophically opposed to 2p games. I'd rather play Hide the Sausage with my wife than War of the Ring, Battleline, or something else. That's my the Star Trek game is going away. I love the paragraph nature of An Adventure, but I'd rather have a bj. Memoir 44 survives because of of the multiplayer nature.

More
23 Jul 2014 09:20 #182778 by Sevej
I think we need to straighten your DOAM definition...
The following user(s) said Thank You: dragonstout

More
23 Jul 2014 09:31 #182780 by hotseatgames
Back when I "went off to college", there would never have been room to lug along Heroscape.

I also happen to be interested in obtaining the Heroscape D&D master set so if you have that and want to part with it, let me know.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds