October 09, 2023
2504 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2703 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

FFG Rulebooks

More
28 Jul 2014 20:39 #183307 by dragonstout
Replied by dragonstout on topic Re: FFG Rulebooks

Colorcrayons wrote: I thought the Wiz-War book was one of their better books. I think the page count is because of the visual exaples, and a bit of over explanation of such things as the component list, etc.

It was one of the first that I recall that had a glossary and an index.

That said, they did flub it a bit as I too, have a difficult time finding relevant entries when attempting to review a rule during play. In this case, I think it was two steps forward, one step back.

Yeah, I don't remember having a real problem reading their rulebooks and understanding afterwards how to play. It's only when wanting to look up rules mid-game in, say, Wiz-War, that I had trouble, due to the volume of the rules (and the tendency to have key rules in unexpected sidebars).

The rulebooks I've encountered that truly sucked were 1) anything by Bowen Simmons 2) Return of the Heroes 3) Robinson Crusoe. I'm tempted to just sell off my Guns of Gettysburg never having played, because I find it THAT hard to understand the rules. I would LOVE an FFG-ized rulebook for that or Napoleon's Triumph, full of visual examples and reiterating important rules.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2014 21:20 #183310 by ThirstyMan
Replied by ThirstyMan on topic Re: FFG Rulebooks

Msample wrote:

ThirstyMan wrote: Triumph of Chaos

AKA Triumph of Chrome.

Case study of what happens when you don't use a developer.

Docktor is a nice guy, but he needs some oversight. I do wish he'd finish his AmRev CDG. Chromefest or not, I'd buy it.

Funnily enough, it is still probably my absolute favourite game. Of course, I had to rewrite the rulebook so it made sense to me but the game is absolutely great. He's working on a 2nd Edition of ToC right now and Triumph of Fascism is still on the cards.

Fundamentally, you are right though, at the very least, someone to write the rulebook properly. The current one is interspersed with anecdotes, development ideas, rules, charts, exceptions, bits of history...it's a mess and spread over two booklets rather than just the, traditional, one booklet which means constantly leafing through both of them.

More
29 Jul 2014 01:46 - 29 Jul 2014 01:48 #183324 by scissors
Replied by scissors on topic Re: FFG Rulebooks

Michael Barnes wrote: Too late for you to edit Scissors, I caught you. Blaming the ERP for everything is becoming like conservatives blaming Obama for everything.

THANKS ERP

"
Yeah, you're right. sorry.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2014 01:48 by scissors.

More
29 Jul 2014 03:01 #183325 by Michael Barnes
Replied by Michael Barnes on topic Re: FFG Rulebooks
No, don't be. I love it!

More
29 Jul 2014 04:20 - 29 Jul 2014 06:21 #183327 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Re: FFG Rulebooks

Too late for you to edit Scissors, I caught you. Blaming the ERP for everything is becoming like conservatives blaming Obama for everything.

THANKS ERP

"THANKS ERP!" AHAHAHAHA...oh my...snicker....snort...guffaw! See it's funny 'cuz it's like THANKS OBAMA....hahahahaahahaha....(wiping tear from the corner of my eye)...awww damn..that is some funny funny shit right there.

The ERP is like politics though. Lefties figure if they tell themselves that crap games are great enough times they will cease being crap.

For the record, I don't blame Obama for everything. He was very clear about his plans to destroy our country. I blame the imbeciles who voted for him.

Also, Mad Dog probably had the milk from his Fruit Loops come out his nose at that "Thanks" joke. He just loves that joke.
Last edit: 29 Jul 2014 06:21 by repoman.

More
29 Jul 2014 07:39 - 29 Jul 2014 07:41 #183329 by scissors
Replied by scissors on topic Re: FFG Rulebooks
Thats a helluva lot of 'imbeciles', Repo.

Not just Americans but most of the free world "voted" for Obama after the Bush doctrine of preemption led to the Iraq war on the basis of false reports of WMD and Cheney lies linking Saddam to 9/11 (he's unrepentent), what's more after the administration completely ignored warnings by Richard Clarke.

I am not sure that Oops! from Texas or 999 pizza plan man would have been better for the US and W. was the imbecile in chief top stratergizer, lest we forget.

But fuck it, we're here to talk about games and we are on the same side: down with the ERP!
Last edit: 29 Jul 2014 07:41 by scissors.

More
29 Jul 2014 09:02 #183331 by bfkiller
Replied by bfkiller on topic Re: FFG Rulebooks
Oh, great, a political discussion on a board game site.

THANKS REPOMAN
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ska_baron, Hex Sinister, san il defanso, madwookiee, Colorcrayons

More
29 Jul 2014 09:03 #183333 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re: FFG Rulebooks

repoman wrote: Also, Mad Dog probably had the milk from his Fruit Loops come out his nose at that "Thanks" joke. He just loves that joke.

THANKS REPOMAN!

More
29 Jul 2014 09:03 #183334 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: FFG Rulebooks
Come on...I come here for Boardgames, I've got Facebook for my news.
We've been in 16+ years of hell in this country and our leaders running it into the ground.
When The Fed created bubble pops we'll all be moving our boardgame collections down to Mexico and Central America anyways.

Now back to the topic...What about them ERP rulebooks? Heh? Like how does it take them just four pages with examples to explain their game? What is this Tic-Tac-Toe? And I'm so deeply offended that the latest one I read only used "he" in reference to fictional players. I think I'm going to purge my collection of any rulebook that doesn't use a 50/50 gender split.
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

More
29 Jul 2014 09:05 #183335 by ChristopherMD
Replied by ChristopherMD on topic Re: FFG Rulebooks
Dammit, bfkiller beat me to it. Now that joke is overused. Fucking Repoman is to blame.

THANKS AGAIN REPOMAN!
The following user(s) said Thank You: san il defanso

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds