October 09, 2023
2450 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2651 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

BGG: Guilt by association

More
28 Jul 2014 12:51 #183221 by Msample

San Il Defanso wrote: We aren't all over podcasts and videos, and that's where the hobby is right now.

The dumbing down of the hobby...led by BGG.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jul 2014 12:58 #183223 by wadenels
This written review dust-up is pants. The real money is in Unboxing videos.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample, black inferno

More
28 Jul 2014 13:04 #183224 by Chapel
Man, Pete. They must really not like you over there. It's not easy to getting to the salt the earth status
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
28 Jul 2014 13:21 #183226 by Shellhead

Chapel wrote: Man, Pete. They must really not like you over there. It's not easy to getting to the salt the earth status

IIRC, Pete went through a phase where he was deliberately trolling BGG to see how quickly he could get banned.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
28 Jul 2014 13:41 - 28 Jul 2014 13:43 #183230 by SuperflyPete
The irony of the link is the link within: the patron saint of boardgaming on the patron saint of board game sites had illustrated that people should spread the word about games and whatnot, but when you do, if they don't like the person talking, you can be banned just by repeating their words.

The implication is this: posting something someone said somewhere else, which is simply REPEATING, word for word, what someone said, is disallowed, of the person who originally said it is persona non gratis. It's like going to a club and being threatened because you simply repeated something you heard at another bar.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2014 13:43 by SuperflyPete.

More
28 Jul 2014 14:28 #183245 by Msample
While its obvious that the BGG modtards and their toadies do whatever they feel is necessary to protect their revenue stream, its the lack of transparency that amuses me. Like the BGG store and all the promo items they sell. Once I called them on the fact that they were forcing customers to buy 2 shit promos in order to get the hot one ( Treebeard card ) that everyone wanted. Up pops good ole Chaddyboy ( who also lurks here ) to say that they have to this because of some agreement with Ares. Sorry, don't believe it.

Basically, if you pay, you play. If you don't, tough shit.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rliyen

More
28 Jul 2014 14:31 - 28 Jul 2014 14:32 #183246 by Black Barney
If BGG was someone's home and they banned you and then a joint friend of ours went into their home holding a book you wrote, and then that person got threatened to be banned from that same home just for holding that book in their house, well then I would have to go to that person's front lawn and go to the bathroom.

This exact same thing happened to me in a real brick and mortar card shop once. They banned a friend of mine from their shop because they didn't like him (that's fine), and then my friend posted an article online about the whole thing and all I did was basically thumb it (give it a positive review) and then I got banned as well. Then one of our slow friends asked them what their problem was and was also banned.

Saved me lots of money in the end. I used to buy too many cards. The owners were these two jewish women which just made it so much worse because of the whole guilty-by-association policies they were practicing sure reminded me of something in recent history.
Last edit: 28 Jul 2014 14:32 by Black Barney.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Cranberries

More
28 Jul 2014 15:01 #183256 by Msample

Black Barney wrote: If BGG was someone's home and they banned you and then a joint friend of ours went into their home holding a book you wrote, and then that person got threatened to be banned from that same home just for holding that book in their house, well then I would have to go to that person's front lawn and go to the bathroom.

Is there a steaming pile of shit Geek Badge you can buy in moral support of Pete?

If not, somebody should make one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
28 Jul 2014 15:11 #183258 by bfkiller

Black Barney wrote: If BGG was someone's home and they banned you and then a joint friend of ours went into their home holding reciting a book you wrote...

A banning would still be overkill, but I can see them taking you aside and saying, "Dude, no."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
28 Jul 2014 15:15 #183260 by Black Barney
Yeah, it's a bit of a lazy analogy between someone's private residence and a public website but you get the idea.

In thinking about the analogy more, I realized that if he brought the book on an E-reader (Kindle or whatever), then no one would be the wiser. And in thinking of that, I think I finally thought of a way to read Mein Kempf* on the subway without getting weird looks.

*I've never actually read it nor do I ever plan to.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds