October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

X-COM Enemy Unknown FFG boardgame.

More
08 Aug 2014 21:24 - 08 Aug 2014 21:30 #184395 by Sevej
Actually, I like what FFG's doing.

FFG is smart avoiding the tactical part. I can see dozens of ways to improve the strategic part. I see very small chance of making a tactical game outdoing the computer game. However, that is not the part I'm looking for when we're talking about XCOM.

After all, they did the same thing with the Starcraft license, making something which doesn't exist in the original game.

Maybe i'm in the minority but I vividly remember a round of high fives when we slaughtered the Ork warboss in the Warhammer Quest expansion as we cheered in triumph, or the unrelenting trash talking that ensued as I made a perfect flick in Pitchcar. I don't remember many video game triumphs quite honestly. It's a completely different experience when playing with a group of people in a small communal space. It's why LANs are a thing.

Not sure about this. Do you guys know the game Orion: Dino Horde? Completely average game. We only played it twice. But I still remember when we laughed uncontrollably for five minutes, when I ran down a valley with T-Rex behind us, swooping at one of my friends and I saw his limbs flailing from within its jaws. We still laugh about it when we actually meet. Not sure if the experience would be enhanced if we're playing in the same room, but by him not being here making the experience all more immersive. For all I know, he was still in the T-rex' jaws.

There are some things you can only get in computer games, another you can get only at LAN, and maybe another at same-machine fighting game.
Last edit: 08 Aug 2014 21:30 by Sevej.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2014 21:35 #184396 by Michael Barnes
This game is nothing but a bundle of first world problems. Stay away.

More
11 Aug 2014 16:17 - 11 Aug 2014 16:49 #184591 by Grudunza

Michael Barnes wrote: This is probably going to be more controversial but also potentially much more innovative...Iello is doing a pirate game where your phone is literally the piece you put on the map that represents your ship. Battles between ships are fully animated. It uses Bluetooth to exchange information between ships.

This is way the fuck more interesting than XCOM- far more experimental and forward thinking. But the "well, what if I don't have a smartphone crowd" is going to slip their shit.

I just caught the preview video for this, and I agree, it looks pretty cool. I love how the iPhone interacts with the board. The title "World of Yo-Ho" sounds cheesy, though.

yoho.io/
Last edit: 11 Aug 2014 16:49 by Grudunza.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes

More
11 Aug 2014 16:39 #184598 by charlest
"Who wants to play that YOLO game?"

More
11 Aug 2014 17:46 #184604 by Michael Barnes
Yeah, it feels they're kind of doing that cart before the horse thing by developing a "world" around the game...talking animals, magic, etc...but people buy into those kinds of things sometimes, like Skylanders for example.

Yoho is kind of cute...I almost get a sense that they're aiming more mainstream with it. Which is, I think, the right way to go with it. All you're buying, really, is a map and a rulebook. So this could be a $10-$15 title...with IAPs to add on to it.

Could be revolutionary...or it could be like all of those attempts to put pieces on iPads and all of that.

More
11 Aug 2014 18:05 - 11 Aug 2014 18:07 #184606 by Jexik
I don't think I'll get this because I prefer the tactical side of X-COM. (Seriously, if someone made a tabletop tactical game as good as this or Card Hunter* while somehow avoiding too much bookkeeping, I'd likely stop playing other games).

That said, I think FFG is doing something right. You guys have talked for 13 pages about a game that could just as easily have been dismissed on page one with, "Pandemic with aliens, huh?"

*Which is pretty funny to me because Card Hunter is a board game. But it'd be a pain in the butt to get gear and deal with changing your decks with new equipment. You'd need M:tG-style boxes to keep up with it. Combat would take way longer. Yawn.
Last edit: 11 Aug 2014 18:07 by Jexik.

More
16 Aug 2014 15:09 #185099 by mads b.
There's a very thorough demo video on BGG right now (link below). I think it looks to be a very cool game, and the app is definitely something that cannot be replaced by cards.

I have never played the Xcom games, so I have no problem with it being strategic rather than tactical. But it seems to me that making something different in the same setting is a good way to do it with a board game.

boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/33086
The following user(s) said Thank You: Grudunza

More
16 Aug 2014 19:39 #185113 by black inferno
I dunno if XCom is as revolutionary and innovative as the exciting fantasy world of Terrinoth, but it's definitely up there. A++++ effort FFG.
The following user(s) said Thank You: luckyb0y

More
19 Aug 2014 13:40 #185364 by Bull Nakano
On today's Dice Tower (which if you're not a curmudgeon, you should listen to this episode) Tom talks about having demoed this game and says something along the lines of 'it doesn't feel like X-Com at all'.

More
20 Aug 2014 09:24 #185455 by charlest
Some more info coming up on BGG from those who demoed.

Apparently, the app chooses the strategy the enemy will use but you are not aware of the strategy - you must organically figure it out in play. That's pretty awesome and can't really be done via a standard card deck.

Also, if the UFOs get into low orbit they start interferring with X-Com operations, and the order in which players take turns is jumbled (the app tells you who should go at what time). This sounds pretty interesting.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.401 seconds