October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2507 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let's Talk: Man O' War

More
05 Aug 2014 19:37 #184055 by Space Ghost
I stumbled into a complete set of this: main box and both expansions. Is it worth digging into and checking it out? I don't have any of the minis -- only what comes in the box. Are they necessary or is it feasible to just keep using the templates and included ships?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Aug 2014 19:41 - 05 Aug 2014 19:42 #184056 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Re: Let's Talk: Man O' War
I would argue this is GWs best game. I think it plays well for a game, not just a GW minis game. It's a lot of fun, the individual ship templates are great (FIRE ON BOARD!). Wish I had local players and a complete set. It's one reason I wasn't that excited about the new Sails of War game. Why would I play that when I could just play Man of War with all the crazy shit that happens in it?

That said, I last played like 15 years ago.
Last edit: 05 Aug 2014 19:42 by Gary Sax.

More
05 Aug 2014 22:08 #184064 by jhuntin1
Replied by jhuntin1 on topic Re: Let's Talk: Man O' War
I love Man O' War still. The minis are nice but good luck finding any at a reasonable cost. If you can find any of the old WizKids Pirates of the Spanish Main boosters they make great ships to use in the game, especially for Empire and Bretonnia armies.

More
05 Aug 2014 22:16 #184065 by VonTush
Replied by VonTush on topic Re: Let's Talk: Man O' War
Alright! One right in my wheelhouse.

Four ships per side is going to be unsatisfying (a game is 1000 points which usually means closer to 6-9). And though minor, the differences in size will have a slight impact on play. But, I'm sure with some internet digging (start with the Sea of Claws Yahoo Group - Note there are two, one is the archive with a bunch of files) you can find 2d counters to print out.

Be forewarned that like Gary says, crazy shit can happen. There is a chance, for example, that your captain will get drunk on whisky and fall overboard and the boat misses a turn doubling back to pick him up. There's also an Orc ship that consists of a paddle-wheel pushing a giant drill which they use to slam into the sides of ships. You roll on a chart and potentially you hit hard and do lots of damage, or the drill nosedives in the water never to be seen again.

A note on this chart - It is the last part on the last page before the book changes from the ships descriptions to general fluff. And it is obvious they ran out of room and editing time because they shrink the font really small, and edit out words making this chart practically useless. You have an idea about what is supposed to happen but key parts were cut to make it work. That's what you can expect with this game - Holes and imbalances but full of flavor and character.

This is during the era in GW's life where you could roll a '6' at the right time and one shot a ship (I did this with a Dwarf Balloon to a Dark Elf Dragon Fortress thingy - I think that was the moment my friend decided the game wasn't for him).

I'd leave Sea of Blood out for the most part, the flyers and monsters I think detract to an extent. The core set and Plague Fleet is what you need for all the ship on ship action (add Sea of Blood later if you want).

This is not a game that you play competitively but a game you play for fun. And as long as you keep that in mind you'll have fun with the game.

More
05 Aug 2014 23:04 - 05 Aug 2014 23:07 #184066 by Space Ghost
The style of gameplay sounds great to me -- just the kind of thing me and my main 2 player partner like.

I would like to track down some kind of mini, actual or pseudo. For my WarhammerQuest collection, I decided to use the Reaper Kickstarter to fill out a lot of the minis that show up in the random encounters table for the advanced level (it looks mildly weird, especially when mashed up with the metal minis that come in the expansions, but I can't be spending thousands of dollars on f'ing warhammer minis).

Are the Dreadfleet ships of similar size? Also, do the individual ships need to be unique models (it would probably be cheaper just to buy a bunch of surplussed Dreadfleet if that was a reasonable sub).

I probably will leave out much of Sea of Blood -- I read that the flying rules were somewhat unbalanced; however, I will be forced to use the sea monsters. I also need to track down the undead rules in Citadel.
Last edit: 05 Aug 2014 23:07 by Space Ghost.

More
06 Aug 2014 01:11 #184072 by VonTush
Dreadfleet is a different and much larger scale. Without measuring, I think I can fit 6 of the ship of the line dwarf ships or three of the Man o War class ships on the single Dwarf ship from DF. I guess the ships don't have to be different as long as you develop a way to tell them apart, but for me the table would lose a lot of the visual appeal and for a game with so much character, that's not what I'd personally want.

Hit up Sea of Claws and join that group. Man O War Player from BGG mods and I think founded the group. You can find the Undead stuff easy, old FAQ's from White Dwarfs, a pretty solid homebrew Lizardman Fleet and there's also this guy that was making models for the Undead and Lizardmen. Lots of good stuff and perhaps someone can point you to a few places.

What is nice about MoW though is that it has a pretty rigid fleet building structure. So for 1000 pts there really isn't much variety needed. Usually it ends up around 2-4 SotL squad and 2-3 MoW class ships.

An alternate ship line though is Uncharted Seas from Spartan Games (doing Starfleet Armada and Dystopian Wars now). Uncharted Seas is no longer supported so you should be able to find some suitable replacements. But they are a bit larger in scale.

Or...Hunt down the recast sellers. They are out there...It's like trying to pick up a prostitute though, you have to talk in code. Super secret stuff recasting is.

More
06 Aug 2014 01:46 #184073 by Space Ghost
Damn it. I shouldn't have goaded you into the dinosaur battle game. The AT gods have visited a hundredfold karma on me by now making me want to track down MoW minis. This is the last thing I need.

But, I will likely comply...
The following user(s) said Thank You: Columbob

More
06 Aug 2014 04:33 #184075 by Brewmiester
greenforesttradingco.com/Home_Page.html

Has Reptilian, Undead, Human, or Steam fleets available that are pretty comparable in size. Not cheap either but look pretty good.

I agree with VT that the ships in Dreadfleet are larger but there is some awesome terrain. And the sea mat.

If you do decide to do some flyers Grenadier had a line of 15mm fantasy that work pretty well, dragons and gryphons that I know of for sure.

And Universal Head had a nice reference sheet and alternate ship cards.

There are some sea monsters that work from the Pirates game as well.

More
06 Aug 2014 09:34 - 06 Aug 2014 09:37 #184090 by SuperflyPete
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configuration

Gary Sax wrote: I would argue this is GWs best game.

I don't know that I agree with this, but I do agree that if it isn't, it's at the top of the list.

It's a keeper. Ships come up on eBay all the time, many times inexpensively (although not always), if you want some.

Example:

3 painted Dwarf Nautilus, 24$. Pretty cheap for painted models that have been out of print for a while.
Last edit: 06 Aug 2014 09:37 by SuperflyPete.

More
06 Aug 2014 13:25 #184121 by VonTush
SG - I just found my file folder with my MoW docs.
Includes all of Universal Head's alternate ship sheets which are nice replacements for the super big cards in the game. Especially if reorganized and laminated.

Also the Undead Citadel articles.

And if you're interested I have my "checklist" which was my shopping list to get about 1,200 pts of stuff per race. That's the number I figured gave some flexibility without going crazy. So it'd give you an idea of what you're getting into for each race.

More
06 Aug 2014 16:52 #184168 by Erik Twice
I wonder, what about Battlefleet Gothic? How similar is it to it? Those spaceships look amazing at least!

More
06 Aug 2014 17:03 #184170 by VonTush
BFG is more serious.
Basically BFG was supposed to be the upgraded MoW with a bit more balance and a bit of streamlining. And it did have some neat concepts like launching torpedoes and smaller fighter scale ships, dropping mines. A lot of pretty neat stuff but I found it bland and lacking excitement.

I still have my Necron fleet that's fully painted (because it is the only thing I have fully painted) and maybe one day I'll run into someone who plays and I'll be able to dust those models off.

More
06 Aug 2014 17:12 - 06 Aug 2014 17:13 #184172 by wadenels
Replied by wadenels on topic Re: Let's Talk: Man O' War
Man O' War looks pretty cool. I found rules PDFs online too. But is there any way to play it without tracking down ship models? Did anyone ever do a 2D conversion (like flat paper/cardstock ships) or anything like that?
Last edit: 06 Aug 2014 17:13 by wadenels.

More
06 Aug 2014 17:13 #184173 by VonTush
I'm sure there are some out there. Sea of Claws Yahoo Group is a good place and I think they are on there.

More
08 Aug 2014 04:35 #184290 by Brewmiester
The Empires ships from Ral Partha Europe look like they might work for MoW as well

www.ralparthaeurope.co.uk/shop/empires-c-135/

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds