October 09, 2023
2484 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2686 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

FFG announces - Imperial Assault

More
16 Aug 2014 09:22 - 16 Aug 2014 09:23 #185072 by Gary Sax

mads b. wrote: One last thing: shut up about Terrinoth. If you look at the world building that's been done just by Runebound and Rune Wars, it's actually quite interesting with some new takes on both races, magic, and events. For a world that's only been shaped by games, I think it's becoming more and more impressive and not as derivative as you're making it to be.

I'm beginning to appreciate Terrinoth for not being so FUCKING grim. It's a comic book setting, no apologies, and that means they don't spend so much time adding skulls to things and making it grimdark. Are there undead? Yes, but I wouldn't say the setting is very obsessed with death and destruction.
Last edit: 16 Aug 2014 09:23 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2014 09:35 - 16 Aug 2014 09:36 #185074 by Shellhead
Last edit: 16 Aug 2014 09:36 by Shellhead.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

More
16 Aug 2014 09:40 #185075 by Bull Nakano

Bull Nakano wrote: If FFG wants a finger in every pie where's the 45 minute Star Wars German game?

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/127438/star-...riff-der-klonkrieger

Obi-Wan Kenobi, Anakin Skywalker and Padmé Amidala have fallen into an ambush on Geonosis. Many Jedi have arrived to rescue them, including Mace Windu and Kit Fisto. But suddenly the Jedi are surrounded by an army of battle droids and super battle droids led by Count Dooku.

In Star Wars: Angriff der Klonkrieger , you'll try to use your Jedi dice to hold your position and fend off the onslaught of droids. Will you be able to hold out until Yoda arrives with the clone army?

More
16 Aug 2014 10:35 #185082 by madwookiee

mads b. wrote: I recently bought Battlelore 2nd edition and it's a hell of a game. It's better than Memoir '44 and waaaay better than the rather boring first edition of Battlelore. One of the reasons for this is the customizable setup where you each pick an objective and then quickly build an army around that. I've only played it around ten times or so, but I can already see that having more armies/units to choose from would make the game more fun in the long run. So I was very happy to see new expansions announced. Now, if no expansions had been announced, would that have diminished in any way the fun I have had with the game so far? Of course not.

Battlelore is my case in point though. The near-rage of Battlelore fans on BGG who had gone months without hearing about an expansion was mind boggling. There's no way that most of them could have played out the base set - and yet, clamoring for more like they should be in a 12 step program. Some were even commenting that they wanted to buy the game but wouldn't until they knew whether it would be supported by expansions. What the hell? That's why I'm saying that, for a chunk of people, not all, the buying is as much the hobby as the playing.

Can any of you honestly say that's not fucked up on some fundamental level? This has nothing to do with FFG. It's a comment about the market. FFG is simply reacting to it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, scissors, Msample, wadenels

More
16 Aug 2014 11:29 #185091 by mads b.
I have - as I said - played the game around ten times and I already would like to have more stuff. I can still enjoy the game perfectly well without it, but it would make the game even better. And the thing about FFG is that they often announce expansions early on - especially for a game that's as obviously expandable as Battlelore 2nd. So I think the clamouring for expansions came because people were honestly worried that it wouldn't get any. Or, as worried as one can be when it comes to board games.

More
16 Aug 2014 11:54 #185093 by madwookiee
I remember when Weezer released Hurley, there was a petition going around trying to get the band to break up, since the relationship with their fans had become abusive.

I'm not entirely sure if that's related, but it was funny as hell.

More
16 Aug 2014 16:11 #185102 by Hex Sinister

ldsdbomber wrote:

Hex Sinister wrote:

black inferno wrote:

Hex Sinister wrote: For the record, before two years ago I owned absolutely ZERO Star Wars lisenced products. It's an empty niche

It's pretty cool of Lucasfilm to finally license the Star Wars brand to a third party.

Alright, wiseguy. Name 3 really good Star Wars board or miniature games in print right now that you could recommend to us all?

Also fuck off with the fat comments. Are you like 12? I know some cool dudes who are fat.

I nominate this for most hilarious ironic post of the year so far. Maybe you'll want to reread this one Hex, you seem at first to be trying to be a good guy, then you ask if the guy is 12, but then your last sentence is about the most offensive thing you could have possibly said on this subject.

(if you didn't get it, why the fuck are you qualifying "some" dudes coolness despite them being fat? What the fuck has body weight got to do with anyones "coolness". Also, who, over the age of 12, describes males as "dudes" and rates them in a scale of "coolness"

come on, man up Hex! someone had to call you out on this ;-)

He was going on with that "fat aspie gamer" shit which is real stale. Regardless, I shouldn't have been rude about it. Nor should I have let it annoy me so let's attribute all of it to an episode of mental space docking.

Saying "dudes" seems pretty common where I'm from. Maybe I've just known too many old stoners.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bomber

More
16 Aug 2014 16:50 #185104 by bomber
ha, no worries Hex, I'm hardly one to be calling anyone out on netiquette :)

More
16 Aug 2014 18:05 #185107 by Josh Look

mads b. wrote: One last thing: shut up about Terrinoth. If you look at the world building that's been done just by Runebound and Rune Wars, it's actually quite interesting with some new takes on both races, magic, and events. For a world that's only been shaped by games, I think it's becoming more and more impressive and not as derivative as you're making it to be.

If this site offered a "hide user" feature, I'd be using it right now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: mads b., black inferno

More
16 Aug 2014 19:24 #185110 by Not Sure

Josh Look wrote:

If this site offered a "hide user" feature, I'd be using it right now.

If it did, I think the site would be blank for everyone by now.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Josh Look, Ancient_of_MuMu

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.156 seconds