October 09, 2023
2495 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2697 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Life, Death, and MICRO GAMES

More
20 Aug 2014 11:50 #185477 by Bull Nakano
The games you've played thread has been sidetracked for two or three pages talking about micro games, so move it over here.

Do you like them/dislike them/have no feelings toward them?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2014 11:52 #185479 by Black Barney
have no feelings toward them.

I actively dislike long games tho...

More
20 Aug 2014 11:54 #185480 by Bull Nakano
My main contribution was Love Letter is a good game and was an big hit with a wide variety of players. Much like after Dominion was released, folks saw this and it looked pretty simple and said "Hey! I can make a game like that!", and attempted, but mostly missed the mark across the board.

More
20 Aug 2014 11:56 #185482 by Bull Nakano
Also an interesting note, the phrase "micro game" in the post-Love Letter world was popularised by kickstarter companies like Tasty Minstrel and Crash as a way to market their games as being in line with Love Letter.

More
20 Aug 2014 12:00 #185483 by Chapel
Long games are my staple. "Micro" games in the context mentioned for me are either games we play waiting for everyone to arrive, or games to end the night to shoot the shit before everyone leaves.

But there is no way I can fill a night playing nothing but a bunch of little games.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Msample

More
20 Aug 2014 12:15 #185484 by Shellhead
As a concept, my only objection to a micro-game would be that I would rather use the time engaging my friends and acquaintances in conversation instead of frantically cramming a small game into that time interval. But I do like the idea of a cheap game that is quick to set up and take down, easy to teach, and easy to play.

In actual experience, I find these light filler games to be shallow, uninteresting time-wasters. As I posted in the other thread, both games of Love Letter that I played ended early and were already outlasting the interest level of the players at that point. The choice of playing one of two cards is very limiting, especially if they are the same card, and the general absence of information about the tactical or strategic position of opponents makes the choice of a card target so empty.

For a more reasonable contrast than extreme cases like Magic Realm or ASL, consider Death Angel. It is about twice as expensive as a micro-game, and takes about twice as long to play. And yet somehow Death Angel confronts players with a strongly-implemented theme, a story, tough tactical decisions, and a surprising amount of replay value. I don't think that Death Angel is merely twice as good a game as Love Letter, I think that Death Angel is several orders of magnitude better.
The following user(s) said Thank You: allismom3, dragonstout

More
20 Aug 2014 12:26 #185486 by SaMoKo
It's a dumb term, and there were already dumb terms to cover it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: VonTush

More
20 Aug 2014 12:34 #185487 by wadenels
I like the idea of a micro game. The minimalist-ness of them appeals to me more than 18 different mechanics competing for balance in a 5-hour game. I like the idea of a long game. The epic-ness of them appeals to me more than cramming 18 different games into a 5-hour window.

Sometimes you feel like a nut; sometimes you don't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: black inferno

More
20 Aug 2014 12:37 - 20 Aug 2014 12:38 #185489 by charlest

Shellhead wrote: For a more reasonable contrast than extreme cases like Magic Realm or ASL, consider Death Angel. It is about twice as expensive as a micro-game, and takes about twice as long to play. And yet somehow Death Angel confronts players with a strongly-implemented theme, a story, tough tactical decisions, and a surprising amount of replay value. I don't think that Death Angel is merely twice as good a game as Love Letter, I think that Death Angel is several orders of magnitude better.

I love Death Angel, but not as a cooperative experience. You choose 1 card a turn, like Love Letter, but it takes twice as long and you have about 1000% more downtime.

As a solo game Death Angel is ages better than Love Letter (as not a solo game). With that being said, I like Love Letter for what it is, and Lost Legacy is pretty good too.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2014 12:38 by charlest.

More
20 Aug 2014 12:57 #185494 by VonTush
When does a game cease to be a Microgame and move into Filler range? Or past Filler into just Game?

Hive is a game I've never heard called Filler and for sure not a Micro, but it has 22 pieces and a short and direct ruleset.

Is a Microgame what you use as filler for a night of playing Fillers?

More
20 Aug 2014 13:14 #185496 by bomber
My reply got swallowed

microgrames didnt used to be about game length, right? It used to be about Victory Point Games style production, quasi PnP, small number of small components etc. Games Workshop etc?

I'd say filler is something utterly pointless designed for twits who must fill every millisecond of a nominated game night with something thats kind of game related. Avoid.
It becomes a "game" when it's worth playing on its own merit and not to "pass the time" while Pete turns up late because he's been beating off sniffing his dice cup collection kitted out in his Stone Age furry underpant range

More
20 Aug 2014 13:16 #185497 by DukeofChutney
obligatory;

I quite like Love Letter for what it is. Its a game I play when people want to play something but don't have time for something more. It is just card counting and some guess work, but that's entertaining. I don't really use games like this to ensure that every moment of a games eve is filled with some sort of game, but when you are in the mood for a game of some sort it does give you something to do in short periods of time. To me, love letter has a similar amount of depth to something like knock out wrist. Mentally i bracket it in with deck card games, but it happens to be easier to teach, requires less shuffling and dealing, and possibly shorter.

Really Microgame is just a re-branding of the word filler as far as i can tell. I'm not sure what other games I have played that would be called Microgames by the hipsters. I've played Coop, does that count? Short bluff games are not really anything new though.

More
20 Aug 2014 13:42 #185499 by Bull Nakano

ldsdbomber wrote: It becomes a "game" when it's worth playing on its own merit and not to "pass the time" while Pete turns up late because he's been beating off sniffing his dice cup collection kitted out in his Stone Age furry underpant range

Love Letter, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, and Lost Legacy are totally worth playing on their own merits, but we still mostly play Love Letter and Lost Legacy when waiting for someone to show up/waiting for a game to end.

If we were playing a game no one enjoyed/wanted to play, your argument would be valid, but really if you're playing a game that's enjoyed by the group, who cares what the reason they're playing it is?

More
20 Aug 2014 14:18 #185501 by iguanaDitty
Hive is an Abstract which places it out of the Microgame category, probably because it only plays 2 and is seen as thinky because it's an abstract.

More
20 Aug 2014 14:25 - 20 Aug 2014 14:32 #185502 by bomber

Bull Nakano wrote:

ldsdbomber wrote: It becomes a "game" when it's worth playing on its own merit and not to "pass the time" while Pete turns up late because he's been beating off sniffing his dice cup collection kitted out in his Stone Age furry underpant range

Love Letter, One Night Ultimate Werewolf, and Lost Legacy are totally worth playing on their own merits, but we still mostly play Love Letter and Lost Legacy when waiting for someone to show up/waiting for a game to end.

If we were playing a game no one enjoyed/wanted to play, your argument would be valid, but really if you're playing a game that's enjoyed by the group, who cares what the reason they're playing it is?

exactly, it's cool if you like Love Letter. I don't, so am not sure how my argument isnt valid, it was more an opinion, man ;-)

But how many other people organize a game night specifically to play Love Letter? I'd struggle to believe it was many.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2014 14:32 by bomber.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds