October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Life, Death, and MICRO GAMES

More
20 Aug 2014 18:25 - 20 Aug 2014 20:15 #185538 by bfkiller
Barnes and Black Inferno must have "They Live" style glasses or something. I'm just not seeing this gnashing of teeth or angst about microgames or his ERP thing, so it makes your posts in this thread seem silly. I tend to gloss over points when they're connected to invented counter-points or hyperbole.
Last edit: 20 Aug 2014 20:15 by bfkiller.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, wadenels, Rafael Silva

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2014 18:30 #185539 by Michael Barnes
I'm about to wrestle Shellhead for 20 minutes in the back alley until he puts them on.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bfkiller, Black Barney

More
20 Aug 2014 18:59 #185542 by Jackwraith
I saw this thread and I was like: "There's a five-page thread on Holy War and Chitin I and Revolt on Antares! Fuck yea-! Oh. Wait."

I mean, we have played shorter games while waiting for people to show up for longer ones, but we always finished the shorter ones because we enjoyed playing them. And those slow-assed people could just wait while we finished. Punctuality, people. Woody Allen was right.

We've frequently played multiple quick games during a game night. We've gone from Tribune to Blood Bowl: TM to Death Angel to Race for the Galaxy. It's every bit as satisfying as playing an epic session of TI3. Sometimes moreso because more people get the chance to taste sweet victory (except in Death Angel but that's fine because it's Space Marines killing Genestealers.) But, in the end, do what you like. That's what playing games is supposed to be for, no?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Michael Barnes, Gary Sax

More
20 Aug 2014 19:09 #185544 by stoic
Play micro,
Live macro,
Death comes.

More
20 Aug 2014 19:46 #185546 by wadenels
Almond Joy's got nuts; Mounds don't.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors, stoic

More
20 Aug 2014 21:34 #185554 by iguanaDitty

iguanaDitty wrote:

black inferno wrote: That's totally rational behavior.

So suddenly I think the real difference between Ameritrash gamers and Euro gamers is that Ameritrash gamers like to inject emotions into their games. At the extreme they live and die with every die roll. Even in discussions of the ERP and these micro games, the positives people are extolling is how the games enable connection with their fellow players despite (or maybe because of) such minimalistic rulesets.

I'm quoting myself because clearly I didn't say it well enough the first time, and the only reason I included black inferno's rational quote above was because I was riffing on the word rational. Whoops.

All I'm trying to say is, there are people who like their games to be emotional crazy interpersonal affairs and there are people who want quieter thinky more solitary affairs. Sometimes they're the same people at different times (dichotomies are silly). Most times Barnes describes a game he loves it's all about emotional crazy affairs. It stands to reason any game he plays he will want to play that way, whether it's a Euro or Ameritrash, and reading about the Euros he likes he brings out the ones that have those qualities. Even his and others' dissatisfaction in AT is rooted in what they see as stuff that gets in the way of the interpersonal crazy affair they prefer. In other words, what Barnes says when he's not rabble-rousing, it can be more about what you bring to the game than the game itself. It's not a particularly new observation, and obviously generalized, I just had it in a way that made me think about my game and game group preferences.

I couldn't care less who plays what or any of that other crap.

As far as micro games themselves...

Haiku
More satisfying
than Yoda
It is

More
20 Aug 2014 22:01 #185555 by VonTush
So, one side is saying that they would rather chat or shoot the shit because they don't like and therefore don't have fun with filler/micro games - While the other side is saying that it doesn't matter what you play as long as you're having fun.

So...Non-issue?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, bfkiller

More
20 Aug 2014 22:44 #185557 by Sevej
I think the main issue is an old one. Just like Euro-oriented players sneer at AT for having not enough "game". Some just don't like lighter or smaller games that much, playing them only as "fillers", waiting for other games to finish up or for more players, and not playing these games' for their own merits (other than being small and short).

More
20 Aug 2014 23:06 #185559 by Shellhead

Michael Barnes wrote: I'm about to wrestle Shellhead for 20 minutes in the back alley until he puts them on.

Not this year!

More
20 Aug 2014 23:59 #185562 by SaMoKo

VonTush wrote: So, one side is saying that they would rather chat or shoot the shit because they don't like and therefore don't have fun with filler/micro games - While the other side is saying that it doesn't matter what you play as long as you're having fun.

So...Non-issue?

Third side is saying that the term is dumb, and I'm definitely not alone in this. Lotsa words to say that Love Letter is / isn't fun. I like the game.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.421 seconds