October 09, 2023
2460 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Can anyone argue that X-Wing ordnance is at all useful?

More
23 Aug 2014 01:45 #185747 by Jackwraith
The vast majority of the time I've tried to use missiles or torpedoes, they've been a waste of points. Since they're all one-shot weapons, it's difficult to set up a decent shot that will genuinely have impact and/or stay in the necessary range window and, of course, they're subject to RNGesus. In trying to address the problem, FFG brought in Munitions Failsafe, which just makes me think that all missiles/torpedoes are overcosted by 1. Clearly, I'm not alone here, as ordnance has been absent in most of the major top 8s, if not completely, and people have been running lists with empty TIE Bombers.

Has anyone had a good experience with it?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2014 10:24 #185758 by charlest
Proton Torpedoes are clearly overcosted, other missiles/torps have their uses.

First of all, Assault Missile is phenomenal against TIE swarms. We took two of these in an Epic Match we had and knocked out 2/3rds of 8 TIEs Hull points (including inflicting two damage on a Stealth Deviced Howlrunner).

Concussion Missiles are pretty solid on Vader as he can Focus and Target lock in one round.

Rhymer is nasty with Advanced Proton Torpedoes, those can take down a large ship pretty quickly.

Homing Missiles can certainly be worth their points against either a TIE swarm or the Millenium Falcon.

Cluster Missiles generally suck but they may be very good against the Decimator due to its 0 Agility.

Flechette Torps rock. Seriously, inflicting stress is huge.

I've seen the new Ion missiles work pretty well, they can totally mess up a TIE Phantom if you can hit them.

I actually think ordinance is pretty perfectly costed in this game as you don't want everyone carrying it all the time. We still see it used pretty often. I just wish they'd do something about Proton Torpedoes as those are the only iconic ordinance in the movies and they suck. They're also used effectively all throughout the Rogue Squadron novels.

More
23 Aug 2014 10:35 - 23 Aug 2014 10:36 #185760 by Gary Sax
I don't play X-wing, so take this with a grain of salt, but I think thematically it makes sense proton torpedos suck. They should be good against the shuttles, tantive, etc but not exceptionally good against much else. You still have to have them in the game and stuff, but I think they're a strange fit for the system besides epic in some respects. That's not to say you shoudn't figure out some balanced way to put them in X-wing.
Last edit: 23 Aug 2014 10:36 by Gary Sax.

More
23 Aug 2014 10:40 #185763 by VonTush
Not really...They are a finesse weapon and in an ideal situation they can do a lot of damage, in a less than ideal situation they aren't worth the points. I feel they really need TL and Focus to really do anything which is the same in Star Trek and I almost never used ordinance in that game either and there you can rearm them.

But, I think next game I'm going to give them a shot and see what I can come up with. More often than not though if it comes down to picking a few ordinance or an additional ship, I'll take the ship every time.

More
23 Aug 2014 12:54 #185770 by Disgustipater
Assault Missiles are really the only thing that gets used in my group. But I think that may change with the introduction of Proton Rockets (in Rebel Aces).

Not only do you only need to have a focus to use it, but you don't even need to spend the focus to fire it, so you can save it for your 5 dice attack when using an A-Wing or Defender.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.324 seconds