October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Space Hulk Re-Release Imminent

More
24 Sep 2014 10:50 #187603 by jpat

VonTush wrote: So I caved and picked it up.
Anyone else here grab one?

Yep. Still in the shipping carton, but it's on the dining room table. My wife and I plan to consider paint next. Well, some sort of snips first to get the things out of the sprues is probably a good idea.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Sep 2014 11:17 #187606 by Brewmiester
I picked up a copy as well. Haven't got the iBooks yet but will probably do that as well.

My FLGS is giving away a copy and giving everybody that buys $50 of GW a raffle entry. They rounded up so I've got three chances to win another copy.

More
24 Sep 2014 11:30 - 24 Sep 2014 11:37 #187608 by VonTush
I'm reading through the iBook for Ultramarines and Dark Angels.
Waiting for a friend for Space Wolves.

Pretty good stuff, not worth the $16 they're asking though.
Check your TM.

EDIT: Well my buddy is saying the DA one is amazing so I'm going to start reading that one. My initial reaction was for the UM one which, like the UMs are pretty plane.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2014 11:37 by VonTush.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brewmiester

More
24 Sep 2014 15:46 #187633 by wadenels

VonTush wrote: So I caved and picked it up.
Anyone else here grab one?

I picked up SH and the White Dwarf #33 from the GW website. Unpacked it but haven't opened it. I would like to get the iBooks in PDF format or something, but not for $16 each.

More
24 Sep 2014 18:02 - 24 Sep 2014 18:03 #187637 by Matt Thrower
I stuck with my first edition last time, and I'll likely stick with it again. I like the glossy tiles and the new librarian rules, but pretty much everything else about the new edition is inferior.

I don't even like the figures as much. Sure, they're better sculpts but they look messy and confused in the plethora of different poses. The marines look more like a ragbag bunch of power armour mercenaries than a cohesive military unit, and the need to make so many different genestealers has results in some really silly sculpts.

If there's people buying the boxes and splitting them on Ebay, I might go for an "everything else" copy, with just the rules and the carboard. Alternatively I could be tempted by the CAT figures to embellish my existing copy. Otherwise, no.

It's good that more people are going to have the chance to see and play this classic, though.
Last edit: 24 Sep 2014 18:03 by Matt Thrower.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
25 Sep 2014 09:00 #187654 by charlest

MattDP wrote: I stuck with my first edition last time, and I'll likely stick with it again. I like the glossy tiles and the new librarian rules, but pretty much everything else about the new edition is inferior.

I don't even like the figures as much. Sure, they're better sculpts but they look messy and confused in the plethora of different poses. The marines look more like a ragbag bunch of power armour mercenaries than a cohesive military unit, and the need to make so many different genestealers has results in some really silly sculpts.

If there's people buying the boxes and splitting them on Ebay, I might go for an "everything else" copy, with just the rules and the carboard. Alternatively I could be tempted by the CAT figures to embellish my existing copy. Otherwise, no.

It's good that more people are going to have the chance to see and play this classic, though.

Nice to see someone still playing 1st edition, although those miniatures are pretty ugly. I hated those little antennaes that broke off if you blew on them. The tiles aren't so hot either with little variation in art. Rules are great though.

More
25 Sep 2014 10:24 #187661 by VonTush
I've been toying with the idea of finding old terminators in metal from the late 90's or early 00's, same with the Genestealers. The old stealers were big, but lined up so nicely because they tucked in together nicely. These new dynamic poses, while visually appealing, lack in usability.

Plus I can play it with my nephew and not feel like I have to be on edge all the time.

More
25 Sep 2014 14:47 #187672 by Matt Thrower

charlest wrote: Nice to see someone still playing 1st edition, although those miniatures are pretty ugly. I hated those little antennaes that broke off if you blew on them. The tiles aren't so hot either with little variation in art. Rules are great though.

Good point. I forgot I replaced all my 1st edition Marines with a mix of metal sculpts from the same era and 2nd edition plastics. But they are better than the 3/4e ones :)

More
25 Sep 2014 15:08 #187673 by Space Ghost
I picked one up. Probably will get the WD and maybe the ibooks. Can you play the other marine factions with the existing minis without too much trouble, or is it one of those things where you need minis for each different type of marine?

More
25 Sep 2014 17:18 #187684 by Brewmiester
I think GW plans for you to buy the $50 box of Space Wolf, Ultramarine, or Dark Angel terminators to get the full effect but I don't see why you couldn't do proxies with the figs you have in the box.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.157 seconds