October 09, 2023
2290 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2506 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Classic Warlord now available

More
17 Sep 2014 06:32 - 17 Sep 2014 07:53 #187183 by ThirstyMan
Now, sit down children and let me tell you a story.....

Around 1978 I purchased my first true Ameritrash game although, of course, the term was not even known at that time. To put it in context there was no GW and D&D was a mere white box baby. SPI and AH were the king of the wargames and Traveler (by GDW) had just been released. Into this mix came a game from an independent publisher known simply as Warlord. It turned out to be the best fun I could muster on a board ever.

It's a really simple game with a shitload of metagame. Imagine a Risk type board with 600 odd regions. Every time you capture a region from the enemy you get an A Bomb of one region range. Capture another region and you get another A Bomb stage now making it two region range (they are little red lego pieces). Repeat making different ranged A Bombs as you capture more and more regions. Fire off an A Bomb and that target region gets devastated (cannot ever move into it again) with all armies in surrounding regions destroyed. Makes for an interesting Risk variant, right? Forgot to add if you hit a region with someone else's A Bomb in it, it fires off causing a chain reaction of devastation. Sounds good so far? Watch out if you're making a 30 region range A Bomb that it doesn't get hit behind your lines before you even get to fire it off.

Now the cherry on said cake. Every time you fire an A Bomb you get a one stage H Bomb. When this gets fired it devastates the target and all surrounding regions and all regions surrounding that gets all armies destroyed. All weapons ignite in that huge area. Now we're talking.

How do you take a region? To attack you use a dice but don't roll it. Pick a number between 1 and the number of attacking armies, the defender has to guess the number you picked. If they are right you lose that number of armies, if wrong they lose one army and you get an A Bomb. Keep going, repeat and rinse as necessary.

OK, it's not dice rolling but its vicious and fast and you get to fire nuclear weapons at the other guy AND multiplayer up to seven AND bluff the shit out of the other guy. What's not to like?

In 1980 GW produced Apocalypse which was the same thing but smaller board and some rule changes. It was rubbish. Now you can get the original from the inventor himself, Mike Hayes. He will send it to you direct from UK. The only problem is price, for the US it is $127 all in with postage included, he doesn't use a distributer. UK is 59GBP and Europe is 90 Euro. All prices include postage.

This is the website for the game

Here are all three pages of rules

This is, quite literally, the bomb and you are fucking idiots if you ignore my advice. I'm getting it because my original game got burned in a rather fiery and expensive divorce. I played the shit out of it. Every weekend in 1979 for ages. It actually took over from D&D for quite a while.

OK time for beddy byes, Daddy has spoken.
Last edit: 17 Sep 2014 07:53 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: bendgar, stormseeker75, wadenels

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2014 07:46 #187185 by wadenels
Funny timing. I just ordered Classic Warlord last week and it should arrive today.

As I understand it you can use smaller mapboard sections for fewer players as well.

I believe the guy only had 500 copies printed and still has some left. Great customer service too; it's pretty much a mom & pop operation but the designer responds well to emails and such about gameplay questions, organized play, etc.

I love Risk and Classic Warlord looks awesome. I found out about it when I was looking for rules-light games with nukes.

More
17 Sep 2014 07:49 - 17 Sep 2014 07:52 #187186 by ThirstyMan
Yes, use of less mapboards reduces gametime.

I think, as I understand the situation, it's near enough print on demand. Agree on customer service. I am currently negotiating charges to Middle East but he seems to know what he is doing.

The other thing I forgot to mention is the winner is last man standing....a true Ameritrash ideal. None of those soppy alliances. Game ends in a fiery backstabbing apocalypse.
Last edit: 17 Sep 2014 07:52 by ThirstyMan.

More
19 Sep 2014 12:29 #187292 by Malloc
Thanks ! been looking for this for a while!

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds