October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Recommend me some new music

More
22 Sep 2014 09:49 #187459 by stormseeker75
I'm bored with what I'm used to listen to. Time to stretch out. I like stuff in almost any genre. Classical music is for chilling out so I don't want any of that at work. I have headphones so don't worry about language.

Thirsty pointed me towards Nick Lowe on Facebook and that was a good choice.

Now entertain me.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2014 10:18 #187461 by san il defanso
Do you listen to Spoon? They had a new album come out a month or so ago and it was terrific. Actually, if you listen to any of their albums since 2001's Girls Can Tell you will get something generally excellent.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75, Josh Look

More
22 Sep 2014 10:31 #187463 by charlest
I've been seriously digging Jack White's two solo albums (think Blunderbuss is slightly better).

Also been going back through Arghoslent's discography and forgot how much I loved them.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stormseeker75

More
22 Sep 2014 10:41 - 22 Sep 2014 10:42 #187464 by stormseeker75
Spoon is up next.

I like Jack White's stuff so I'll skip past that recommendation and go to Arghoslent after Spoon.

***EDIT

Spotify only has an album called 1990-1994 The First Three Demos. Is that worth a listen?
Last edit: 22 Sep 2014 10:42 by stormseeker75.

More
22 Sep 2014 10:42 #187465 by MattFantastic
2014 (ish) records I'm into lately...

Modern Baseball - You're Gonna Miss it All
Punch - They Don't Have to Believe
Bane - Don't Wait Up
The Menzingers - Rented World
Radiator Hospital - Something Wild
California X - s/t
Tokyo Police Club - Forcefield
Ovlov - Am
Diarrhea Planet - I'm Rich Beyond Your Wildest Dreams

More
22 Sep 2014 10:42 #187466 by san il defanso
I really like Jack White too, and I think Lazaretto is one of my favorite albums of the year.
The following user(s) said Thank You: charlest

More
22 Sep 2014 10:45 #187467 by stormseeker75
Matt, I dig the Menzingers. That's a solid record. I listened to Bane based on one of your FB posts. I'll see if I can find some of those other options on Spotify.

BTW, if any of you dicks use Spotify you can always find me and send me shit directly.

More
22 Sep 2014 10:55 #187468 by san il defanso
One of the guys on the podcast I do recommended Grimes, and I've enjoyed listening to her 2012 release Visions.

More
22 Sep 2014 11:09 #187471 by Egg Shen
Chromeo - White Women

Album came out at the beginning of summer. I've been enjoying greatly. It's very 80s synth pop. They are certainly influenced by Hall and Oates and 80s era Michael Jackson...However, they put their own unique spin on everything. Very funky and fun to drive around to.

Recommend tracks:

Lost on the Way Home
Old 45s
Come Alive

More
22 Sep 2014 12:17 #187479 by madwookiee
Minus the Bear - Menos el Oso or Planet of Ice are probably their best albums, although I don't think they've made a bad one.

More
22 Sep 2014 12:30 #187481 by stormseeker75
I love Minus the Bear!
The following user(s) said Thank You: madwookiee

More
22 Sep 2014 12:31 - 22 Sep 2014 12:39 #187482 by Michael Barnes

San Il Defanso wrote: One of the guys on the podcast I do recommended Grimes, and I've enjoyed listening to her 2012 release Visions.

Also check out "Geidi Primes"...which, as the title suggests, is all about Dune. Song titles:

Caladan, Sardaukar Levenbrech, Feyd Rautha Dark Heart,Shadout Mapes...

Anyway, there have been two times in my life where I was at your impasse, tired of everything. The first time I started listening to The Fall. The second time I got very heavily into black metal. In both cases, I felt like I needed to something really fresh, singular and idiosyncratic.

So if you go the Fall route...start with This Nation's Saving Grace. Widely regarded as their best album (but it isn't) and then you can just go from there. None of the albums are bad, just steer clear of the countless live/bootleg/rare tracks things.

If you go Black Metal...I'm actually going to be controversial and suggest recent stuff instead of the Kvlt classics. Not that you shouldn't hear Darkthrone, Emperor, Ulver, Satyricon and so forth...just that Black Metal has gotten REALLY interesting in recent years by moving away from all of the cartoon satanism/paganism and more toward...music nerdery. A lot of recent BM sounds more like My Bloody Valentine/Swervedriver/Chapterhouse/Slowdive than Venom. Not that most BM sounds like Venom anyway. The two biggies to pick up are Deafheaven's "Sunbather", which is one of the best albums of the past five years, Liturgy's "Aesthetica". Both are controversial acts because they are just like regular dudes, not corpsepainters. Wolves in the Throne Room would be another for you to check out in that same vein.

For my part, I'm REALLY digging the new Julian Casablancas and the Voidz record. Do not expect it to sound like The Strokes. It's very fresh, I don't really know where I would place it. Much scrappier and spookier than I expected.

Even if you haven't seen the movie, check out the Sinoia Caves soundtrack to Beyond the Black Rainbow...very cool, atmospheric electronics. In the vein of John Carpenter, Goblin, the Phantasm soundtrack, etc.

Chromeo is fun, as Egg suggested.

Light Asylum is pretty interesting, I just started listening...definitely at the nexus of Joy Division and Grace Jones. Very stylized vox though, which may or may not be a dealbreaker.

ALso on the Grimes tip- there's actually a lot of really interesting stuff on that label, Sacred Bones...sort of quasi-new-goth, a lot of it. There's this weird thing going on where goth is kind of permeating into a lot of indie...it's been going on for a couple of years, but if you dig around you'll see it. Cult of Youth is worth hearing, very 1990s World Serpent-influenced. Zola Jesus is probably their other big standout star aside from Grimes (who seems like she's on the cusp of getting big).

Cold Cave...LOVE Cold Cave. If you like BIG synthpop (think "Music for the Masses"), you've got to hear "Cherish the Light Years". Fucking awesome record. Their new one is good too, but veering more toward a Jesus and Mary Chain kind of sound. Older stuff is more harsh/abrasive. Dude only has one arm and a BLACK prosthetic, which is...kind of awesome.

Slint's "Spiderland" just got a big reissue, it is more or less essential listneing for...everybody. Brilliant, monumental record.

M83's last record gets better every time you hear it.

Old school bullet belt thrash? Power Trip. They _rule_.

It's never too late to go back and listen to Hanoi Rocks, BTW.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2014 12:39 by Michael Barnes.

More
22 Sep 2014 12:34 - 22 Sep 2014 12:35 #187483 by ThirstyMan
The Clash...Give 'em Enough Rope.

Every track a fucking winner.

You must play it while pogoing around in a padded room like a psycho.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2014 12:35 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jarvis

More
22 Sep 2014 12:37 - 22 Sep 2014 12:40 #187485 by charlest

San Il Defanso wrote: I really like Jack White too, and I think Lazaretto is one of my favorite albums of the year.

It is a pretty damn good album, but I wish the second half was as good as the first. Three Women, Lazaretto, and High Ball Stepper are the three best songs and all appear near the beginning. The second half is still solid though, just not quite as consistent as Blunderbuss.

Stormy, just pass on Arghoslent if all they have is demos. Not sure if you'd even like it anyway considering it's Death Metal.

However, if Death Metal doesn't scare you, then another recommendation would be anything by "The Chasm". Death Metal from Mexico that is a bit different than your typical fare. A google search seems to show that they do have material on Spotify.
Last edit: 22 Sep 2014 12:40 by charlest.

More
22 Sep 2014 12:42 #187487 by Michael Barnes

ThirstyMan wrote: The Clash...Give 'em Enough Rope.

Every track a fucking winner.

You must play it while pogoing around in a padded room like a psycho.

He's got Spotify, should just go straight to the "Sound System" collection. Pretty much everything...except their cover of Toots & the Maytals' "Pressure Drop", for some reason. For some reason the Spotify track list has both the UK and US song order for the first record...probably a smart move since it's one of those where its' an ALBUM.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.377 seconds