October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2510 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Recommend me some new music

More
30 Sep 2014 14:39 #187907 by Columbob
Did the whole BM costume/makeup evolve from Kiss and King Diamond? What's up with that?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2014 15:44 #187913 by stormseeker75
So I listened to Give 'em Enough Rope and it was pretty badass.

Johnny Marr put out a new album today. I like it. Would you believe that I've only listened to The Smiths once? I should probably fix that.

Not sure I'm into black metal. This whole genre sounds like a bunch of fucking crazy people.

More
30 Sep 2014 15:46 - 30 Sep 2014 16:40 #187914 by wkover
Random recommendations:

Therapy? - High Anxiety
Pogues - If I Should Fall from Grace with God
The Black Keys - El Camino
Audioslave - Revelations
Bad Brains - I Against I
Bob Mould - Workbook
The Bogmen - Life Begins at 40 Million
Captain Beyond - Captain Beyond
CkY - An Answer Can Be Found
Dozer - Beyond Colossal
Eyes Adrift - Eyes Adrift
firehose - Ragin', Full On
Frank Marino - Juggernaut
God Lives Underwater - Empty
Grotus - Mass
The Hellacopters - By the Grace of God
Katatonia - The Great Cold Distance
Less than Jake - Anthem
Meat Puppets - Up on the Sun
Mike Doughty - Haughty Melodic
Mr. Bungle - Mr. Bungle
NoFX - White Trash, Two Heebs, and a Bean
Scorpions - Taken by Force
Smoking Popes - Destination Failure
Straw Dogs - We Are Not Amused
Sugartooth - The Sounds of Solid
Tool - Aenima
UFO - Strangers in the Night
Wintersun - Wintersun
311 - Grassroots

Edit:

Had to add Aenima by Tool and fix the title of the Straw Dogs album.
Last edit: 30 Sep 2014 16:40 by wkover.

More
30 Sep 2014 15:57 #187916 by stormseeker75
Holy fuck, Deafheaven has some completely amazing music, but the vocal....Christ on rubber crutches, why fucking bother? I know a lot of people in here like black metal and some other stuff like that, but not this guy.

Thanks for trying though! It never hurts to attempt to broaden one's horizons. That said, horizons unsuccessfully broadened.

More
30 Sep 2014 15:58 #187917 by charlest

stormseeker75 wrote: Not sure I'm into black metal. This whole genre sounds like a bunch of fucking crazy people.

Absolutely. As Barnes mentioned, it was a bit more fucked up in its infancy when you had Dead from Mayhem killing himself and then the band using the photo of his dead body with his brains blown out as an album cover. There were church burnings, terrorism, stabbings, goat heads being thrown into the crowd, and all kinds of fucked up shit that kind of detracted from the music but did sort of espouse its mentality. It shares a lot with early punk in its blatant disregard for societal norms and generally not giving a fuck.

More
30 Sep 2014 16:28 #187923 by stormseeker75
Right on. Many of the musicians in that scene very clearly live what they preach so there's something to their conviction. Comparing it to early militant punk sounds pretty spot on. I guess any anti-establishment genre needs to do something to set themselves apart.

Here's an interesting article I found: www.metalinjection.net/lists/top-10-crim...lack-metal-musicians

I'm not vilifying the whole genre. You lot can like what you like. It's just not my bag.

More
30 Sep 2014 16:34 - 30 Sep 2014 16:45 #187924 by dragonstout

stormseeker75 wrote: Holy fuck, Deafheaven has some completely amazing music, but the vocal....Christ on rubber crutches, why fucking bother? I know a lot of people in here like black metal and some other stuff like that, but not this guy.

Thanks for trying though! It never hurts to attempt to broaden one's horizons. That said, horizons unsuccessfully broadened.

I had the exact initial (and second, and third...probably fourth and fifth) reaction to the vocal. I stuck with it because, as you said, the music is completely amazing and was blowing my mind and is tremendously moving. And now I actually really appreciate the vocal as being absolutely essential. So if you really think that the MUSIC is amazing, stick with it and tolerate the vocal and you might end up changing your mind about it.

Seriously all the rest of you Black-Metal-skeptics, I could not have IMAGINED ever liking a black metal album; even just hearing "metal" was enough for me to skip over the rest of the paragraph/article, including nearly all of Barnes's previous posts on the subject. My response was basically always "you've gotta be shitting me, I'm not gonna listen to that music. Barnes likes Black Metal? Wow, that makes me less interested in every subsequent music post he makes." I was an idiot. Give Deafheaven a chance!

Edit: To give an idea of how boring-ass-typical-indie my musical tastes are and I STILL loved Deafheaven, my top five of the past five years:
1. Fiona Apple - The Idler Wheel...
2. Arcade Fire - The Suburbs
3. The National - High Violet
4. Deafheaven - Sunbather
5. Daft Punk - Random Access Memories

It really doesn't remotely evoke church-burnings or facepaint or any crazy shit.
Last edit: 30 Sep 2014 16:45 by dragonstout.

More
30 Sep 2014 16:45 #187925 by wkover
I have grudgingly come to like a handful of death metal and metalcore bands, but it took me like 20 years to get there. So if you can wait until 2034 everything will fall into place.

More
30 Sep 2014 16:50 #187927 by charlest
Another random recommendation - Clutch. Everyone should listen to Clutch.

More
30 Sep 2014 17:02 #187929 by wkover

charlest wrote: Another random recommendation - Clutch. Everyone should listen to Clutch.

I just listened to a few minutes of Blast Tyrant, and it sounded pretty sweet. What's their best album?

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.143 seconds