October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2509 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Blood Bowl TM with all 4 leagues

More
15 Oct 2014 10:35 - 15 Oct 2014 14:09 #188651 by Columbob
Last time I played the Vampire team, and had my worst score ever. In hindsight, I think they're a terrible team, everything hinges on injuring the enemy (edit: or their thralls), but the double-tap needed is hard to get. Injuring your own players isn't that great, and they don't even start with a SP4 player.

Sure, their star players are nice, but they're also available to the DE and Undead and not guaranteed to end up with their own team.

My brother also had the staff card that gives a fan per cheat token, and he combined it with a SP who added cheat tokens to every player at the match-up...brutal combo. He still came in second place with Undead vs. DE, but it was really close between them.

Can't wait to try the Chaos Dwarfs, that expansion is still unplayed, hopefully not for long.
Last edit: 15 Oct 2014 14:09 by Columbob.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2014 13:50 #188665 by metalface13
Man, I want to play this game.

More
15 Oct 2014 15:24 #188679 by JEM
I have won with the vampires, but it was against someone trying out the goblin deck for the second (I think) time. I didn't ever get to use the blood tokens, as people noted, getting that tackling combo achieved is difficult. Added to a staff upgrade that gave fans for downed players, my deck was fighting my bonuses. It's a tough gig, but I like that there's this matrix of easy/difficult to play/win with the teams.

Of course, I've played undead and never rolled a regen almost all game (even with the relevant team upgrades) so it can swing.

This is a great game, I think the theme* is what turns a lot of potential players off. Now I have Dogs of War as a gateway drug, though, so that may work out.

*setting.

More
15 Oct 2014 19:32 #188685 by Da Bid Dabid

JEM wrote: This is a great game, I think the theme* is what turns a lot of potential players off.

*setting.

This is not a world I want to live in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Almalik, wadenels

More
18 Oct 2014 14:27 #188867 by evilgit
Damn, I didn't realize this game was getting played so frequently that people can get that deep into it.

I've played maybe half a dozen times. Hated, hated, hated it. Big fan of real BloodBowl so I wanted to love on it so hard. But the gameplay was just so frustrating for me and I always lost really badly. Almost got to the point where I would refuse to play it but my buddies like it.

But we played with a new expansion and I got to be Goblins, which are my favorite. I still lost horribly but I actually enjoyed it this time. I just wish it was a little easier to play for what it is. I'll play some heavy games but for some reason I prefer my heavy games without theme. When I'm playing a goblin with a chainsaw, I'm not looking to think too much. Just wanna roll some dice.

Do you think the game would be completely broken if you took out team upgrades and coaching upgrades? Just made them worth one fan factor each?

More
20 Oct 2014 18:05 #188989 by Jackwraith
I think it would lose a lot of its replayability, since you'd essentially be playing mostly the same players over and over and doing nothing but going for fans. There are some teams where the upgrades can really turn the tide or bring a horrible position into a solid one that makes for a more interesting game to the person who's hopelessly behind. Honestly, the tactics of the original game are a lot more complex than this game. I'm all about just sitting down and tossing some dice on some nights, but if you actually want to WIN Blood Bowl, you're better of putting some thought into it (or playing Skaven.)

More
09 Oct 2015 10:57 #212226 by Mr. White
Rise From Your Grave!!!

I've played a ton of the base game and enjoy it a lot. Played a little with the first expansion, and though I liked the new teams I was less excited about the new options (contracts, enchanted balls, etc). It made the game start to feel like typical FFG bloat of more unnecessary tokens, plus I agree with what was said earlier that the cheating token pool became diluted. Overall, it felt like more cruft was added, but not more fun.

Anyway, I've been skeptical about the second expansion as I'm not sure adding even more bits and options is the way I'd want play. The new teams may be a nice feature, but not sure they alone are worth the purchase.

The only thing I'd like to see for this game is one more mini expansion, maybe a PoD for a new league, but no new rules. This game needs some more 'good' teams. I'd go with a Lustria Conference that would include Amazon, Norse, and Lizardmen. They all come from the same region, and would be considered good, or maybe neutral, for the norse. This is BB norse, so an off-shoot of the chaos marauder variety that explored the new world (Lustria) who's women ended up becoming the Amazon.

Halflings would be fun, but I'm not sure who they'd be paired with. Ideally, it would have been humans, halflings, and dwarves together as they all inhabit the lands in and around the Empire and are on the best terms of the races of order. I understand including an elf team in the base set though. Anyway, at this point I don't see how they could be included in any league. They wouldn't pair well with the only other good race left, the high elves, and the other neutral races (Khemri and Ogres)...uh...halflings, khemri, and ogres sharing star players and such within their league...I'm not seeing it. Maybe the best option would be for a PoD of just the halfling team and include them in with the original human, elf, dwarf, conference.

More
09 Oct 2015 11:09 #212227 by Jackwraith
What many people refer to as "FFG bloat", I look at as "enticing options." As noted, we hadn't played with the stadia and penalties last year but have since included them at various points. The key thing is "optional". I like that FFG have oriented many of their expansions in that direction. If you want more teams, great. Here they are. Oh, and here are a few other ideas if you want to include them. They're not included as fixes nor are they presented as "the way the game should be played now" aka "power creep" (although the downed abilities aspect was starting to roll in that direction...) They kept piling on stuff in the CE expansions, too, but all of those have been great because it's all optional. You pick your level of crazy and roll forward.

More
16 Oct 2015 07:15 - 16 Oct 2015 07:22 #212556 by Mr. White
Thinking about the under represented teams some more...

I definitely think a Lustria Conference is the way to go to round out full teams.

As far as the Ogres, Halflings, Khemri, High Elves, etc. I'd simply do up a little PoD expansion like those for SH:DA and have it simply be Star Players you can shuffle into the existing conferences. For example, maybe stars like Puggy Baconbreath (halflings) and Prince Moranian (high elves) would be inserted into the OWA star player deck. Seems a simple way to get these other races into the game.
Last edit: 16 Oct 2015 07:22 by Mr. White.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
16 Oct 2015 08:35 #212558 by JEM
I agree that more teams would be nice. The Foul Play teams are good fun, particularly the goblins. We used to play with the penalties etc, but since pared down the game to base rules only, though often going only four rounds with no events (enough tournaments to have one each round).

Some kind of bidding for turn order mechanism may be cool.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds