October 09, 2023
2485 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2687 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

New Heroscape? With the Magic the Gathering label?

More
17 Oct 2014 14:18 - 17 Oct 2014 14:20 #188820 by Shellhead

Sagrilarus wrote:

Shellhead wrote: I don't see the synergy here between Magic and Heroscape, except from a marketing standpoint.

And?

Why would I go for this when I could play either Magic or Heroscape instead? Especially Magic, which still gets widespread regular play by a devoted fanbase.

EDIT: Wait, I already know the answer. Because it's new.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2014 14:20 by Shellhead.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2014 14:26 #188821 by Sagrilarus

Shellhead wrote: Because it's new.

And available, and about a subject matter that you enjoy. I'm not ruling it out. My oldest son is a big fan of both games, so he may be head over heels for this.

More
17 Oct 2014 14:47 #188824 by charlest

Shellhead wrote:

Sagrilarus wrote:

Shellhead wrote: I don't see the synergy here between Magic and Heroscape, except from a marketing standpoint.

And?

Why would I go for this when I could play either Magic or Heroscape instead? Especially Magic, which still gets widespread regular play by a devoted fanbase.

EDIT: Wait, I already know the answer. Because it's new.

Strange is the best kind.

More
17 Oct 2014 21:10 - 17 Oct 2014 21:11 #188841 by Jexik
Now I have yet another reason to get a better job.

This has potential to be great, but that's probably just due to my wishful thinking. I enjoy both lines, and I'm curious to see how it turns out.

The interesting thing to me is that it seems like they haven't come up with a name for it yet. I wonder if they're arguing about whether to actually come out and call it Heroscape or not.
Last edit: 17 Oct 2014 21:11 by Jexik.

More
22 Oct 2014 00:03 #189072 by Colorcrayons
I can really see how the heroscape gameplay could be improved by action and reactionary card play.

Its one of the resons why I playtested then bought into DungeonCommand so heavily. In the end, I felt dungeon command was missing something and took such a route too far.

This still has some randomness from the dice, but a bit more control and "take that!" which the card play could potentially offer.

I'm no longer so heavily invested in MTG anymore, having sold off my collection years ago for a tidy profit and only keeping a single deck on occasions where I find myself in a situation where that game would be the best way to fit into ansocial game night, but I still enjoy the fundamentals of the game.

I am curious how resource management will occur within this new heroscape project, since we know creatures must be summoned and spells must be played. It has the potential to be one of the most ingenius things to occur to heroscape and am eagerly awaiting to know how this is implemented. I have faith. Its already a solid system, but after playing it a bunch and still having fun, I find myselfnwanting just a bit more depth.

More
22 Oct 2014 03:42 #189073 by Hex Sinister

Colorcrayons wrote: I am curious how resource management will occur within this new heroscape project, since we know creatures must be summoned and spells must be played. It has the potential to be one of the most ingenius things to occur to heroscape and am eagerly awaiting to know how this is implemented. I have faith. Its already a solid system, but after playing it a bunch and still having fun, I find myselfnwanting just a bit more depth.

I wouldn't expect too much in the form of resource management. Looks like the standard point buys we're all familiar with. I'm only speculating from what I saw on the video.

Squads have two different point costs on the bottom. The small number is the cost of one squad figure, the large number for a full squad. The zombies are rated 40/13, the reavers are 110/36. The unsummon spell has a the number 10 at the bottom. That could be a point value or it could just mean "this is card #10 in the set".

Regarding summoning, the dude said you could just plop both of your squads within range 5 of your PW.

It looks like Heroscape 1.5 with less emphasis on terrain and the removal of the 1-2-3-X order system but with the addition of some very basic card play and other basic stuff. I'm sure it will be a great system but for someone like me who already has a closetful of Scape? I'm not seeing enough innovation to justify a purchase.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

More
22 Oct 2014 21:11 #189124 by Colorcrayons
I couldn't find anything signifying resource management either. I really shouldn't set myself up for dissapointment by hoping for such, but I think it is a reasonable one given the theme in place on the game and cursory statements regarding keeping the overall "feel" of magic in this implementation.

But I think you are likely correct. It still begs the question on how this is going to work,especially without order markers.

More
23 Oct 2014 03:11 #189142 by Hex Sinister
It'll probably be really good. It doesn't sound like this is going to be "Advanced Heroscape" or anything though. Too bad the interviewer didn't know what questions to ask.

For squad activations I think you get just one and pass. I'm guessing they did away with the order markers because the PW is vulnerable. Losing your PW equals defeat (I'm assuming that's the default) so being able to move it when you need to will be important.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
04 Mar 2015 04:47 - 04 Mar 2015 04:54 #198753 by Colorcrayons
Looks like WotC has come up with a final name for the game as well as revealed who the white planeswalker will be:

Here are some interesting images from NY toy fair for Arena:
www.purplepawn.com/2015/02/toy-fair-2015...f-the-planeswalkers/

Of note are the image of the "spells cards". I still wonder how they are supposed to function, but this added kink could be a really cool addition to the design of Heroscape. Looks promising.

[edit] Also, WotC has spilled the game contents:
www.magicspoiler.com/mtg-news/magic-gathering-board-game/

$30ish, 35 minis (5 painted), 60 cards, etc. Not a bad price at all considering what we pay nowadays for decent boardgames.
Last edit: 04 Mar 2015 04:54 by Colorcrayons.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, scrumpyjack

More
04 Mar 2015 09:13 #198756 by Gary Sax
30 bucks is an amazing price point for the starter.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Colorcrayons

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds