October 09, 2023
2446 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2645 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

D&D Attack Wing / Marvel Dice Masters

More
10 Nov 2014 10:17 #190339 by VonTush
No eBay APP ID défined in Kunena configurationIf you've played Quarriors the stats are all the same. Except instead of all the creatures being available you have your team and they have theirs - Up to 8 characters and you pick the number of dice on each usually from 1-4. Actions, which are similar to spells, both players bring two to the table and can select from the pool of four.

The process is draw from bag, roll dice, optional re-roll of any/all (not in Quarriors), pay for what you want to buy (no limit to your purchases), summon, attack if you want (unlike Quarriors must attack). A big difference is if you have a character that is Knocked Out from combat it goes into your hand to roll next turn where in Quarriors it goes to your discard and needs to cycle through your bag. The goal is to knock your opponent down from 20 life to 0. But like Josh says, the combat is a lot better with a lot more going on and more decisions to make.

It is built on the Quarrors chassis so I'd argue it is closer to that than Magic. Where it does come close to Magic though is in the team construction, deciding the synergies and strategy for your "deck" and all that deck-construction stuff.

And yes, the game, much like Quarriors isn't thematic outside of pictures and some abilities that I do think represent the characters (where others feel more like dice that happen to have an extra ability). But unlike Shellhead I do like the game.

If you don't want to chase Rares, you can find complete set of commons for really cheap online. Basically the people chasing the Rares and SuperRares unloading lots of stuff from the 2, 3 or 4 gravity feeds they open.

I.e.:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Nov 2014 10:37 #190343 by Msample
I played a half dozen matches of Uncanny yesterday. Overall, it seems like a better balanced set than AvX. The former had some cards that were insanely powerful for the cost that happened to be Super Rares ( Tsarina, Gobby Goblin ) . Thus the high prices. The Super Rares in Uncanny aren't nearly as dominant, and they've also made the cheaper cards less powerful, including a number of cards with no special powers. While I have my doubts about how useful the Heroic keyword is, we had a lot of fun.

The ludicrous scarcity of starter sets from AvX continues - I have had one on order from my FLGS for over two months now ( I need a second to get extra dice for starter characters ) . They got plenty of new Uncanny stuff, but AvX starters still seem to be scarce as hens teeth.

Its pretty easy and cheap to buy commons/uncommons online. For less than $50 you can get a starter, all commons/uncommons, and have a lot of gameplay in front of you.

More
10 Nov 2014 10:39 #190344 by Sagrilarus
I'm trying to figure out what the over and under is on when Wiz-Kids abandons the dice-building concept. It just isn't all that terribly interesting. It's not bad, but it's not terribly good either. Given that the audience they're marketing to likely has 20+ better titles on the shelf it's not a must-have kind of play.

Wiz Kids reminds me of AEG, where they have a "this is the kind of game we create" sort of view on their business from a mechanical perspective, and they stick with it whether it's working or not. It's like they scored a killer Groupon code for dice manufacturing and want to milk it until it dies.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: scissors

More
10 Nov 2014 11:18 #190346 by Msample
If they can get their supply chain figured out, I think its got some legs, at least for a couple years. It has the attractiveness of a low price point, which assuming they can stock, retailers love. They've got several more franchises i the pipeline ( D&D, DC Heroes ) so they seem determined to milk it while they can.

When you throw in Attack Wing, they seem to be adopting the FFG tactic of more frequent franchise expansion versus standalone games. Some gaming purists may object, but from a business perspective its hard to find fault with.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
10 Nov 2014 11:42 #190349 by Sagrilarus

Msample wrote: Some gaming purists may object, but from a business perspective its hard to find fault with.

Provided they don't fracture the market too much. To some extent I'm seeing this from both ends of the deal (Marvel and Star Wars across multiple games and same game across multiple licenses), but I'm an old man that isn't as spry as I used to be.

More
10 Nov 2014 13:04 #190352 by VonTush
Eh...When one line starts to flounder they'll reinvent the system into something new.
The core system is solid enough and provides enough options to keep it fresh as soon as one formula loses potency.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.125 seconds