October 09, 2023
2291 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2508 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Laissez-nous parlons... Franco-Trash

More
14 Nov 2014 11:56 #190676 by lj1983
Mansions has its problems. being lovecraft descent isn't one of them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Nov 2014 12:04 #190678 by VonTush
You miss my point. Saying "more of this, less of that" is crap - That is the bullshit I'm calling.

Mansions may be a mess, but it tried things in the adventure genre never seen before and hasn't seen sense. Retread it is not. Imperial Assault I'll give you though.

Innovation is going to happen no matter what. I'm not worried about any sort of stagnation.

More
14 Nov 2014 12:36 #190680 by Sagrilarus

VonTush wrote: Innovation is going to happen no matter what. I'm not worried about any sort of stagnation.

Boy I sure am.
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
14 Nov 2014 12:46 #190684 by VonTush
Why though?
There's the mentality I feel where some feel like every new game has to have something ground breaking, something that shifts the paradigm. If something like that doesn't happen on a quarterly, monthly or weekly schedule Chicken Little's are all declaring we're in a state of retreads, reskins and repackaging of the same thing.

That's a notion I reject.

More
14 Nov 2014 12:46 #190685 by charlest

Sagrilarus wrote:

VonTush wrote: Innovation is going to happen no matter what. I'm not worried about any sort of stagnation.

Boy I sure am.

Are you worried about stagnation from designers or publishers? If you're worried about publishers not wanting to pickup innovative games, then why are you so anti-Kickstarter which is exact solution to that problem.

More
14 Nov 2014 13:02 #190687 by Sagrilarus
First of all, Kickstarter is just a de facto publisher. I don't express any particular dislike for it, just amusement at how it seems to magically suck money out of people's wallets from thousands of miles away. If you think venture capital based on an html screen with a couple of youtube videos embedded in it is helping innovation (or hurting it for that matter) I'd love to hear your arguments.

Secondly, I don't need every new game to be innovative. I don't buy every new game, and I certainly am not running around in a panic over it. I think it's unhealthy for the industry overall to be producing 1000 new titles a year when the majority of them are more or less the same thing as prior efforts. I'd like to see a few new titles that can't be described as derivatives of existing games. Indeed one of my favorite games now has six versions on the market, four released in the last 24 months.

I'm not going to buy a game unless it gets my attention, and that's going to happen when people publish and publicize something that's different. I'm picking up just one game for Christmas this year in spite of 1000 new titles and more than enough money to afford two or three. I'd sure like to see some new stuff.

I'll be honest -- this is as much a designer problem as a publisher problem. If you've got a new take on things you can find a publisher. There's hungry publishers out there dying for the new thing. I have the personal email addresses of three of them that would love to talk to you.

S.

More
14 Nov 2014 13:37 #190689 by VonTush

Sagrilarus wrote: Secondly, I don't need every new game to be innovative. I don't buy every new game, and I certainly am not running around in a panic over it. I think it's unhealthy for the industry overall to be producing 1000 new titles a year when the majority of them are more or less the same thing as prior efforts. I'd like to see a few new titles that can't be described as derivatives of existing games. Indeed one of my favorite games now has six versions on the market, four released in the last 24 months.

But the thing is that the industry doesn't care what you think is healthy or unhealthy for it.
There'll be ebbs and flows, peaks and valleys, rises and falls. There will be derivative, copycat and "Me-Too!" designs. That aspect is what it is.

If there's 1,000 units of chaff and 1 unit of wheat OR 1 unit of chaff and 1 unit of wheat, there's still 1 unit of wheat...And if that's all you care about, then that's all you should care about.

More
14 Nov 2014 13:38 #190690 by charlest

Sagrilarus wrote: I'll be honest -- this is as much a designer problem as a publisher problem. If you've got a new take on things you can find a publisher. There's hungry publishers out there dying for the new thing. I have the personal email addresses of three of them that would love to talk to you.

S.

That's probably not too unfair, but I've seen/heard many stories of people with really clever and distinct designs that can't make it work with a publisher due to the cost/risk.

I've seen this twice with Dexterity games in the past year that were pretty awesome and crazy but the components are just too damn expensive.

Concerning Kickstarter, I think for sure it's helping innovation. Not on a per capita basis, but as a whole. Since the gatekeepers are the backers and as you suggest, projects are backed on only pieces of information (as opposed to playing a prototype like a publisher would), there's more inherent freedom. This is of course good and bad, but it allows for the possibility of innovation. You wouldn't see stuff like Cthulhu Wars with foot tall miniatures or Kingdom Death whose gameplay should be wholly unique in the tabletop realm. Look at World of Yo-Ho as well.

More
14 Nov 2014 13:42 #190691 by DukeofChutney
I'd agree that Mansions is a poor pick if for a product that doesn't need to exist. I don't really like Mansions but i felt it tried some interesting things and is fairly unique.

I would take a hammer to the current state of worker placement games which have now flogged the horse into the seven hells. In general i feel that the more hardcore end and various bits in the middle of eurodom have stagnated horribly.

I don't necessarily cry for innovation, but i am fed up of sitting down to play a friends new game and find it is an experience I have had so many times before i struggle to take any interest in it. There are a lot of games around that imo don't really need to exist, Mansions isn't one of them.

More
14 Nov 2014 13:50 #190692 by Sagrilarus
And yet, French designers and publishers seem to be coming to agreements that produce innovative, well-vetted games with unique looks and feels. So it can be done.

I appreciate that Kickstarter allows you to produce an abject financial failure, and that on occasion those have innovative features that may be picked up and refined later. I'll agree that's valuable. Given how small the gaming community is (and how easy it is to publish) I don't think Kickstarter is particularly necessary for that, but goodness knows it makes money flow out of the pockets of people that otherwise complain about Days of Wonder's production quality. Truly the land of loose money.

I wouldn't be surprised to find out a couple of years from now that Fantasy Flight or Days of Wonder or Stronghold weren't floating titles through Kickstarter via pseudonyms. I sure as hell would be.

S.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds