October 09, 2023
2289 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2505 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Talisman video game on sale for $1

More
28 Nov 2014 16:17 #191581 by Colorcrayons
I was browsing google play and noticed that talisman from Nomad Games is not a buck, down from $7. I'm not much of a talisman fan, but for a buck ill spring for it and dink around for a bit. Seems to be working fine on my Nook HD Tablet.

One question for all of you Talisman junkies. I know the Reaper expansion is universally considered compulsory to the base game. Should I buy it for the video game as well, or is it compulsory because of house rules?

I imagine I am going to be playing against the machine 100% of the time if that makes any difference for opinions on bothering to purchase the expansion.

Anyone else have experience with the video game? Thoughts?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2014 12:42 #191687 by fastbilly1
I would bite the bullet and buy the season pass. I have base game on my phone - Galaxy S3, and game with season pass on my PC. I average a game a week on my pc, usually with two or three buddies. It is one of the better PC implementations of a boardgame I have played. My favorite part is that only the host has to own the expansions, everyone else can access them if the host has them enabled.

If you only want one expansions, Reaper is the best one. It adds alternative victory conditions, a variety of new cards, and Death himself. You can play the expansion with Death turned off. Even if you are only playing against the PC, the Reaper expansion gives you much more variety in cards and characters. Also it gives you the Dark Cultist, which many view as the most broken character in the game. I would say it is, except the Dark Minotaur.

More
01 Dec 2014 14:25 - 01 Dec 2014 14:31 #191699 by Colorcrayons
I went ahead and bought the reaper expansion the day after I posted that. It adds enough to the game to keep it interesting. But if you arent a rabid Talisman fan, as I am not, there is no way you'll get the mileage out of the season pass.

But for less than $5 total for the game and a obligatory expansion for a game I get mild amusement from on occasion, That seems reasonable.

I also enjoy the capability to tweak it with the house rules under advanced options. Rolling for 20+ turns for the crown of command while each player runs around healing is the kind of thing that makes this a hateful, ridiculous and boring game. "Hey guys. I'll sit here and just roll a D6 on each of my turns. It's cool. I love dice. so much fun. I hope this never ends!"

Remove the option to heal, or simply automatically win once you reach that area, and it suddenly is no longer as tedious of a game. Nice touch. I went from "I wasted $1" to "I think I should buy one expansion" because of that tweak.
Last edit: 01 Dec 2014 14:31 by Colorcrayons.

More
01 Dec 2014 15:21 #191707 by fastbilly1
Yeah, we do not play with the standard ending anymore. I disabled it after I played a game with bots and spent about an hour one night on the crown trying to kill the others.

Its not a game I would have purchased every expansion for at retail, but the ability to play it with my buddies around the world, made it worthwhile. Now I have to talk myself out of buying an ipad and Warhammer Quest.

More
01 Dec 2014 16:42 #191723 by Michael Barnes
I have everything including the new Dungeon expansion. It's funny, at first I didn't care for the digital implementation but I've come to really like it. Except for the AI, which is just atrocious. I think it actually doesn't know how to win the game. If I could give the AI just one protip, it would be "The goal of the game is not to collect rafts".

For the casual Talisman fan, the base game plus Reaper will probably tide you over until the end of time. For the Talismaniac, buy it all. You want the wildness and far-reaching randomness of the add-ons. The Dungeon implementation is really good, the only thing I dislike is how there are three corners of the board that have no add-on board. Get on that, Nomad. Highlands in January from what I hear.

Playing Talisman on IOS has actually- kind of sadly- greatly diminished my desire to play F2F. Sadly, because this is one of the great F2F games. I haven't even bought the Woodlands expansion yet, breaking a tradition of buying the expansion and getting in a game with my regular gang to see all the new stuff.

I actually think The Reaper is the single best thing that FFG has brought to Talisman. It's brilliant, and it is absolutely in the spirit of the original editions.

As for Warhammer Quest, god's sake don't buy an iPad just for it. Don't get me wrong- it's really good, but it is VERY limited. I've started it up a few times over the years and every time I burn out REALLY hard on it after 10 or so hours of play. It gets quite repetitive, and you start to wish that it had more dimension beyond the occassional character upgrades. Playing it versus a game like XCOM or Fire Emblem really speaks volumes to how simplistic and one-note it is. But it's a GOOD single note, and it's very well made.

More
02 Dec 2014 09:17 - 02 Dec 2014 09:19 #191749 by Mr. White

Michael Barnes wrote: I actually think The Reaper is the single best thing that FFG has brought to Talisman. It's brilliant, and it is absolutely in the spirit of the original editions.

100% true. I had to back-port The Reaper to my 2nd edition set.

I've never had it, but I'm actually thinking about looking for a copy of...Timescape.

On these app games...what is the difference between Talisman Prologue and straight up Talisman?
Last edit: 02 Dec 2014 09:19 by Mr. White.

More
02 Dec 2014 10:30 #191761 by fastbilly1

Michael Barnes wrote: As for Warhammer Quest, god's sake don't buy an iPad just for it. Don't get me wrong- it's really good, but it is VERY limited. I've started it up a few times over the years and every time I burn out REALLY hard on it after 10 or so hours of play. It gets quite repetitive, and you start to wish that it had more dimension beyond the occassional character upgrades. Playing it versus a game like XCOM or Fire Emblem really speaks volumes to how simplistic and one-note it is. But it's a GOOD single note, and it's very well made.

I am debating on buying one for my second job (it opens a different set of clients), but when I did the math that a refurbished iPad mini from Apple with all of WHQ digitally was less than the price of the cheapest WHQ on ebay, well that was the eye opening moment. I could play WHQ and Titan, without my face to face group which would rather play Xwing, Dune, or Formula De.

And yes, Highlands is January, and rumor is City in March.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.912 seconds