October 09, 2023
2288 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Any events, cons and meetups can be posted here. There is a link to our Member Map in your PROFILE menu.

The F:AT Career Network

More
12 Dec 2014 11:51 #192563 by Michael Barnes
It's an idea whose time has come. We're all pretty much friends here with a couple of outliers...there's no reason we can't do some networking here. A couple of things have brought this to light- Shellhead's job dilemna, Doc getting laid off...who knows, there may be a situation where we can help one another professionally here. There's always referral bonuses and such out there too.

I actually have an opportunity that may be a possibility for anyone that has proposal writing experience, particularly in the pharmacy benefits management/health insurance field. I work for a gigantic, very major healthcare company writing proposal content and my team needs somebody. It's 100% telecommute, you can work anywhere in the US. Let me know if you might be interested and I'll give some more details. Not sure about rate or anything like that.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2014 12:51 #192579 by Gary Sax
Good idea.

Several of us are in academics, which is an insanely specialized field so there's really no chance of giving somebody a bump into a job. But if anyone ever wants any advice on grad school, the academic business, etc, there are a range of experiences here that might be helpful.

More
12 Dec 2014 13:20 - 12 Dec 2014 13:43 #192585 by ThirstyMan
International teaching expert here and I do have some influence (and knowledge). Also knowledgeable about general life in the Middle East.
Last edit: 12 Dec 2014 13:43 by ThirstyMan.

More
12 Dec 2014 13:26 #192587 by metalface13
Let's all get connected on LinkedIn! We can endorse each others' board gaming skills and what not.

I'm a graphic designer and I can't stand the agency I work for. Been trying to find a new job for over a year. Ever since I first started here, actually. Just throwing that out there ...

Funny enough my wife and I are applying for academic positions at a school in Hawaii!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Black Barney

More
12 Dec 2014 13:35 #192588 by Michael Barnes

ThirstyMan wrote: International teaching expert here and I do have some influence(and knowledge). Also knowledgeable about general life in the Middle East.

Looking for someone to manage a falafel cart- send me your CV.

More
12 Dec 2014 13:44 #192589 by ThirstyMan
Or a juice store...

More
12 Dec 2014 13:45 #192590 by ThirstyMan

metalface13 wrote: Let's all get connected on LinkedIn! We can endorse each others' board gaming skills and what not.

I'm a graphic designer and I can't stand the agency I work for. Been trying to find a new job for over a year. Ever since I first started here, actually. Just throwing that out there ...

Funny enough my wife and I are applying for academic positions at a school in Hawaii!

Trying to minimise my digital footprint not maximise it....

More
12 Dec 2014 14:01 #192591 by ubarose
Replied by ubarose on topic Re: The F:AT Career Network
I got laid off 16 months ago. I'm looking for someone to help me write my resume. Has anyone here ever worked with a resume writer that they can recommend ?

More
12 Dec 2014 14:07 #192592 by Black Barney
I'm good at editing resumes and making suggested changes.

Remember that the goal of the resume isn't to land a job, it's to make it past the first cut and to interview. That's all. Because of that, you're just looking to not give reasons to say no.

I like Metalface's idea of connecting on LinkedIn

More
12 Dec 2014 14:37 #192595 by stormseeker75
Indeed, Linked In is where it's at these days. I don't know how we are supposed to find each other. Can you search by e-mail? I'd prefer to leave my name out of this forum.

More
12 Dec 2014 14:51 #192598 by Black Barney
Is somewhere here from Woodbury University? They're stalking my profile!

Yeah, you can search by e-mail but it's weird. It wants your hotmail, outlook, gmail, yahoo or any e-mail really and then it searches for people that you have e-mailed to see if THEIR e-mail addy is registered on LinkedIn. But I don't think you can just type their e-mail in.

This reverse way is faster anyway

More
12 Dec 2014 16:43 #192608 by Space Ghost

ubarose wrote: I got laid off 16 months ago. I'm looking for someone to help me write my resume. Has anyone here ever worked with a resume writer that they can recommend ?

My wife has a Master's degree in Human Resources and Labor Relations (although, now she is making specialty cakes)...I can ask her if any of her colleagues (the network is vast) are giving professional help.

More
12 Dec 2014 16:47 #192610 by Space Ghost
Like Gary Sax, I'm in academics. Primary specialty is statistics. Also editing a journal now, so can help with technical writing (technical in the sense of mathematical/academic) as well. I also do a fair amount of consulting for medicare fraud detection and the Pew Research Center.

I'm a piece of shit, though. I told Gary about a potential collaboration sometime several months ago and haven't followed through. I haven't forgotten though -- just slowed down by a baby.

More
12 Dec 2014 22:29 #192653 by ratpfink

ubarose wrote: I got laid off 16 months ago. I'm looking for someone to help me write my resume. Has anyone here ever worked with a resume writer that they can recommend ?

The best resume recommendation I can make is to listen to the Career Tools podcast "Your Resume Stinks" episode: https://www.manager-tools.com/2005/10/your-resume-stinks . That podcast and all their other resume/interviewing advice is pretty much spot on.

More
12 Dec 2014 22:54 #192657 by OldHippy
I'd be more than happy to help people out if I can. I work for a giant mining corporation in the R&D department. But we hire people from a lot of fields and I have a few connections. I'm on linkdln or whatever the fuck it's called. I also have some pull in my division so if I can help you out... let me know. I'm not great on resumes but I'm pretty awesome with cover letters so I'd be more than willing to help people out in that department.

I also work in music as well, I'm working on a soundtrack for The Heart Outright now and music for iPad apps, nothing big but I have some connections. So feel free to hit me up if you think there's something I can help with.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.390 seconds