October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2647 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Non-Tolkien Fantasy Films

More
14 Dec 2014 22:03 #192748 by OldHippy
I've seen a lot of the films mentioned. I'm surprised no one seems to think much of the Imaginarium of Dr. Parnassus... I guess that doesn't have too much appeal for others... I thought it was fucking brilliant. I might even think of Tideland as fantasy if it wasn't so locked into being a horror film... and a goddamn terrifying one at that.

I have seen Spirited Away though... which I loved and what's odd about me loving that film is that I hate japanamation (is that a racist phrase yet?) normally.

Pan's Labyrinth... along with Gilliams latest offerings, is definitely a recent favourite. I love Del Toro's earlier films even more though.. Cronos especially.

I loved Crouching Tiger when it came out but I feel like it hasn't aged that well. Now I'd rather just watch Drunken Master 2 again... that has to be the pinnacle of Chinese action films for me.. it's borderline fantastical.. but no where near the same level as Crouching Tiger obviously... which kind of redefined the genre I guess. Maybe I should watch that one again.

Dark City is one I've had recommended a ton of times and still haven't seen. Out of the modern recommendations (anything post 1980 I'm calling modern) that's going to be first on my list to see. Thanks guys.
The following user(s) said Thank You: jeb

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Dec 2014 22:34 - 14 Dec 2014 22:45 #192750 by VonTush
Return to Oz is a trip.

Has anyone seen the clip where Del Toro gives a tour of his...Ah crap, I can't remember what he called, basically his Man-Cave. Amazing place. It's where he and his writers go for inspiration and his whole goal was to just pack it with all sorts of stuff to spur the imagination. Back in Oct I watched The Devil's Backbone (more horror than fantasy though) which is supposed to be a sister film to Pan's Labyrinth. I love every movie I've seen of his.

I've always wanted to see the Imaginarium of Dr Parnassus...It's on my list of movies to see but never remember when it comes time to pick a movie.

Has anyone seen The Lovely Bones? I thought it was pretty good and pretty fantastical albeit with a darker theme. Not great, but overlooked and a bit underrated I thought.

EDIT: The Devil's Backbone is a sister movie, not supposed to be.
Last edit: 14 Dec 2014 22:45 by VonTush.

More
15 Dec 2014 11:25 #192769 by Gregarius
So many great offerings here! Dragonslayer and Conan are among my favorites.

Like Jeb, I also recommend The Fall, if you haven't seen it. Amazing visuals, and all practical effects.

Another one with some stunning imagery (but kind of a lousy film, unfortunately) is What Dreams May Come with Robin Williams.

More
15 Dec 2014 12:55 - 15 Dec 2014 12:56 #192773 by Almalik
If Crouching Tiger is getting mentioned in this thread, what about Kung Fu Hustle? You've got the Beast, the Harp players, etc. Not enough fantasy to qualify?

Also, Jack the Giant Slayer?
Last edit: 15 Dec 2014 12:56 by Almalik.

More
15 Dec 2014 13:14 #192774 by OldHippy
I loved Kung Fu Hustle and I think I loved Shaolin Soccer even more. Actually now that it's being mentioned I think I like Iron Monkey as much as any of them and certainly more than Crouching Tiger. It's a damned masterpiece.

More
15 Dec 2014 15:03 #192790 by RobertB
I watched the shit out of Excalibur, back when it came out. Even now, if it's on and I can distract the missus, I'll watch it.

The Ahnuld Conan movies are both pretty good. I think, 'the Barbarian' is better than 'the Destroyer'.

More
15 Dec 2014 16:25 #192800 by ChristopherMD
I watched Dragonslayer in HD last night. Fan-fucking-tastic!

More
15 Dec 2014 18:08 #192816 by trif
Replied by trif on topic Re: Non-Tolkien Fantasy Films
A few you may be unaware of:

After Life Japanese film about what happens after you die. Maybe the only fantasy/documentary ever made. Not an adventure type fantasy (it's modern day Japan set in a disused school) but a wonderful film.

ReCycle Thai film from the Pang Brothers about a woman who enters a world where everything forgotten or abandoned winds up. Some stunning imagery but there's a very unpleasant subtext at work.

Three Crowns of a Sailor From the Chilean director Raul Ruiz. Weird adventures of a sailor based around various sea myths.

Zu: Warriors of the Magic Mountain THIS was the film John Carpenter based Big Trouble in Little China on - A Chinese Ghost Story was made three years after Big Trouble. Sammo Hung! Yuen Biao! And special effects by ILM! There was a CGI'd up the wazoo remake but I understand it's inferior to the original.

Krabat - German film based on a fairy story. Good kids film.

Ruslin and Ludmilla - Russian fairy tale film. Saw it as a child and it stayed with me. Desperate to see it again (it's probably on Youtube.)

More
15 Dec 2014 20:53 #192823 by Black Barney
The scene in Kung Fu Hustle where the fat guy is trying to whistle to calm the cobra and gets bit right in his fat lips... I could watch that scene a thousand times and still laugh

More
15 Dec 2014 21:02 #192824 by Egg Shen

JonJacob wrote: I loved Kung Fu Hustle and I think I loved Shaolin Soccer even more. Actually now that it's being mentioned I think I like Iron Monkey as much as any of them and certainly more than Crouching Tiger. It's a damned masterpiece.

Stephen Chow's latest film has finally made its way to North America.

www.amazon.com/Journey-West-Blu-ray-Zhan...eywords=stephen+chow

Might be worth checking out.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds