October 09, 2023
2287 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2504 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Scoundrels

More
28 Jan 2015 08:42 #196418 by SuperflyPete

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
28 Jan 2015 13:49 #196446 by randyo
Replied by randyo on topic Re: Scoundrels
Yeah.

I follow SUSD and saw that when it appeared. I'd love to play it some time, cause people definitely seem to like it. I almost had the chance last week but it didn't pan out. It makes me nervous how similar it looks to Scoundrels, but well, nothing for it. 2014 definitely seemed the year of the pirate. Hopefully there is room for a few of these games!

As an aside, it was very nice to hear that you're liking the ship art! I ended up learning a bit more about ships and lateen sails and Barbary pirates in trying to make each ship unique.

More
13 Mar 2015 17:46 - 13 Mar 2015 17:47 #199494 by randyo
Replied by randyo on topic Scoundrels
Box art! Not gonna say how long this took me, cause it was a long time. But I think it was worth it.

Working on videos/kickstarter too, hopefully I'll launch the kickstarter as soon as end of this month if I can finish the dang videos.
Last edit: 13 Mar 2015 17:47 by randyo.

More
24 Mar 2015 16:18 #199934 by randyo
Cutting together an entire playthrough with overlays of movement and battles. I was hoping to just present it via video and camera closeups, but the 2 cameras were of vastly different quality. The game is an hour and fifteen minutes, and I'm going through and making little after fx comps showing battles, etc. One really cool thing with annotating the entire game is that I've got a bunch of sweet infographics of things like player movement, and frequency of battles, etc.

Blue tags are movement, green are actions, orange are bids, red are new/special cards, the columns are battles.

And here's all the ship movement from the game.

Also made this teaser with the hi-quality shots. Closer and closer to kickstarter. So much prep.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead

More
07 Apr 2015 14:54 #200462 by randyo
The game is noooow on Kickstarter! I hope y'all check it out, and maybe consider backing it. Thanks for a ton of feedback when I first got here. It was immensely helpful.

www.ScoundrelsGame.com

Cheers!
Randy "The Randallion Rapscallion" O'Connor

More
07 Apr 2015 16:45 #200470 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Scoundrels
Not having your game submitted to the Boardgamegeek.com database is going to hurt you. I'd recommend adding it ASAP and then uploading pictures to help generate some buzz.

More
07 Apr 2015 19:54 - 09 Apr 2015 18:58 #200473 by randyo
Yeah, thanks for the heads up. I'm waiting on approval now. I've always been daunted by BGG and submitting any sort of information there, but doing so now. I have so much art at this point, hopefully when I get approved I can just put up a bunch of stuff at once.

Sorry, I also took the FAT banner. I felt obliged to lay my money down!
Last edit: 09 Apr 2015 18:58 by randyo.

More
09 Apr 2015 19:13 #200600 by randyo
I uploaded a bunch of pics and videos of Scoundrels to BGG, it looks like a real game now.

I thought I'd also post the complete annotated playthrough here. I don't know how many people watch these things, but I figure why not.

It's been really interesting so far following the KS and promoting it. I'm learning a bunch about EVERYTHING. I may do a post-mortem of the experience when it's done. Anyway, hope you all have a good evening!

More
13 Apr 2015 13:48 #200741 by randyo
Hi again, y'all!

I've taken another step in openness, and you can download the Print-n-Play skirmish demo of Scoundrels, if ya have any interest!

Scoundrels_ThePNP_demo.zip

Basically, it includes b+w versions of enough art to play a 3-4 player Skirmish. It only has a limited version of the map, the basic Treasure, and no Quests or Quirks (special abilities), but it's totally there to give anyone a try at the game. Takes 30-60 minutes. And of course the full game, or the full PnP, can be pledged to at www.scoundrelsgame.com .

Also, here's some pirate poetry from the Sea of Troubles, if you're into that sorta thing.

Ports of Peril, pt 1: The Risky Reef

Cretins, rats and albatross,
Meager gains and horrid loss.
Sour mead and loosened planks,
Find them there in weakened ranks.

Shallow shoals, swampy fields,
Twisted knives and filthy yields.
Sidelong looks and fearful eyes,
Glimmering gold so set aside.

Briny graves, lamps, and guards,
Tramping troops miss betted cards.
Offers now in yellow light,
The scoundrels plan their deadly flight.

Wicked whispers, huddled masses,
Nervous lads and anxious lasses.
Towers holding corrupt riches,
Padded pockets, grinning snitches.

Flickered torches, clanging keys,
Misty rains and sudden breeze,
Now the switch and now the theft,
Corrupt leaders left bereft.

Dingy docks, hurried forms,
Bags of coin and coming storms.
Swords unneeded but still held,
The scoundrels off, their hold now swelled.

More
14 Apr 2015 21:58 - 15 Apr 2015 05:03 #200786 by Cranberries
Replied by Cranberries on topic Scoundrels
I miss being on vacation in Portland at my wife's parent's home, walking over to the local hobby shop and buying a CheapAss game for five bucks, then playing it with the kids. I don't know if they ever made any serious money, but I wish someone would bring that idea back.
Last edit: 15 Apr 2015 05:03 by Cranberries.

More
23 Apr 2015 17:30 - 23 Apr 2015 21:23 #201387 by randyo
Gosh darnit I forgot to respond to this! This is what I had started writing:

Got to see James Ernest talk once about randomness; fantastic talk. He is still definitely around releasing games, but I imagine part of the disappearance of his CA line is how important aesthetic has become lately. I do what you're talking about, but in iOS game development, not with paper games.

I'd check out DriveThruCards.com . It's not that satisfaction of a hobby/games shop, but you will find some cheap games.

ALSO!
If any of you are free tonight at 5:30 PST, I'll be playing the game on Twitch with Tim Schafer of Grim Fandango/Full Throttle fame, and a few indies. Check it out at www.twitch.tv/doublefine

Two weeks left in the Kickstarter. It's not looking great, but I'm not giving up yet, because I still want this game to be a reality.

EDIT: NO TWITCH TONIGHT. Tim went home sick. :(
Last edit: 23 Apr 2015 21:23 by randyo.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.411 seconds