October 09, 2023
2458 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2661 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Space Cadets: Away Missions has launched on Kickstarter

More
24 Jan 2015 09:45 #195970 by SuperflyPete
Currently 300$ from 80,000$, meaning I get my expanded weapons selection.

The world is in order.

When we get to 120,000$ I will be completely confident that I have died and at the pearly gates about to play this with St. Peter

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2015 10:21 - 24 Jan 2015 10:50 #195975 by ThirstyMan

Applejack wrote: Another sci-fi cooperative. Why would I want this? Why would anyone? Are hobbyists not sick of the plastic minis packed game for $100 trend that's been all over Kickstarter for years now? I haven't even played my copy of Galaxy Defenders yet. Yeah, fuck that, I won't touch this, but my lack of support won't stop the success this franchise seems to have.

BTW the success has nothing to do with the franchise.

It's a good, fun game, if you had bothered to listen to people who have actually played it, myself included. It was not developed to be another part of the franchise, it was developed entirely independently from designers that had nothing to do with Stronghold Games.

Good luck with the generalisations though...

EDIT: Al, congrats on hitting the 80K target.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2015 10:50 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, SuperflyPete, engineer Al, Saul Goodman

More
24 Jan 2015 11:19 #195980 by SuperflyPete
Applejack's comment was one of the more questionably sane comments I've heard in years. By that same logic, why would one want ANYTHING new? Pretty much every theme, from boxing and manufacturing to lap dances and drug dealers has been done. Every mechanic has been done. People are paying for their favorite mechanics to be paired with their favorite settings or themes in a way that works, and it's really that simple.

AT guy makes an AT game with a cool, retro spaceman theme? And it has a lot of eye candy? Fucking WIN. What more needs to be said.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax

More
24 Jan 2015 11:36 #195982 by Mr. White
I'm going to go against the grain here and defend applejack's comment.

I appreciate all the work Al and Shelley have done for this community and I'm glad that their kickstarter looks to be doing gangbusters.

That said, many folks have decried tons of these games stuffed with plastic on kickstarter. $100+ games have also been routinely run down. This is both. I understand why a lot of locals are buying in, but it is jarring as the narrative of several folks seem to have flipped overnight.

For what it's worth, I have pointed this kickstarter to several individuals I know that may be interested in this sort of game, but don't frequent the fort.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, Rafael Silva

More
24 Jan 2015 11:37 - 24 Jan 2015 11:38 #195983 by Gary Sax
Honestly, I think it's a reasonable (if dickish) comment. I wouldn't have preordered without multiple people I trust here attesting to its quality. I certainly would not have without the Stronghold connection.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2015 11:38 by Gary Sax.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Cranberries

More
24 Jan 2015 12:04 #195984 by engineer Al
I really have no problem with any of the comments made. Not every game is for everyone, and it's OK for people to have different tastes. I do want to say thanks again to everyone here that has supported the game, not only financially but with your kind words as well. As a matter of fact I want to thank ALL of the FAT community, even if you didn't support the game. As long as you took five minutes to look at the rules you've done more than I could ask.

The KS drive continues to do well, and we reached our second Stretch Goal this morning. This is especially exciting because Stronghold does not start the "Triple Saturation" (whatever that means) ad campaign on BGG until Monday. I'm just glad that Stephen let us post ads here first so that all my FATie friends could have first crack at the free shipping.

Keep watching the skies!
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Cranberries, Columbob

More
24 Jan 2015 12:24 #195985 by ubarose

Applejack wrote: Are hobbyists not sick of the plastic minis packed game for $100 trend that's been all over Kickstarter for years now?

Unfortunately not only are they not sick of this, they demand it. The D&D boardgames have set the price point of where people expect a box of plastic toys, rather than a box of cardboard.

More
24 Jan 2015 12:31 - 24 Jan 2015 12:36 #195986 by VonTush

Mr. White wrote: I'm going to go against the grain here and defend applejack's comment.

Yeah, I feel like were it not for the connections to here people would be singing to old "Bubblegum Machine Models" "KS is going to be the death of the hobby" "$100+ games are going to be the death of the hobby"

I'm blindly backing because of the connections here and because of the trust I put into the people here who have played.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2015 12:36 by VonTush. Reason: My computer is going balls crazy right now
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, cdennett

More
24 Jan 2015 12:58 #195990 by Sagrilarus

ubarose wrote: Unfortunately not only are they not sick of this, they demand it. The D&D boardgames have set the price point of where people expect a box of plastic toys, rather than a box of cardboard.

Amen sister. The number of threads on BGG on the lines of "are you disappointed with the components?" is remarkable. The entire industry is in the midst of a shift in expectations, and a shift in tastes. I don't think Kickstarter is the cause of this, but it's a contributor. "Bigger" does much better on Kickstarter.

I said it in another thread somewhere here on F:At this past week -- Ameritrash has won. The marketability of elegant, spartan artwork has plummeted. Double the weight for double the price is where the market is right now.

As for AppleJack's comment, so be it. You don't need a dozen games like this. The question is which one or two are the best of breed, and that's a decision best made in hindsight. We won't know where SC:AM (oh my, not the best acronym, is it? Sorry for stumbling onto that!) will be in that ranking for a couple of years.

S.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

More
24 Jan 2015 13:51 #195991 by Mr. White
Don't be silly. Ameritrash didn't win. Rampant consumerism and the completionist/speculator mentality won.

If all it took was a big box of ameritrash plastic...what explains Earth Reborn? Dreadfleet? Why does my flgs still have space hulk on the floor (that they're now discounting)? Heck, even the DDAS games were heavily discounted and could be routinely bought for about $35-40 _shipped_.

The trend we're seeing now isn't because the themes are ameritrash.
The following user(s) said Thank You: wadenels

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds