October 09, 2023
2451 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2654 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Space Cadets: Away Missions has launched on Kickstarter

More
24 Jan 2015 13:53 #195992 by repoman

Applejack wrote: Another sci-fi cooperative. Why would I want this? Why would anyone? Are hobbyists not sick of the plastic minis packed game for $100 trend that's been all over Kickstarter for years now? I haven't even played my copy of Galaxy Defenders yet. Yeah, fuck that, I won't touch this, but my lack of support won't stop the success this franchise seems to have.

Well, a couple points here:

1) Half the argument against Kickstarter games is that they are untested, unfinished, "vapor ware" with vague delivery dates and even a risk of non-delivery. All that is non applicable here. I know how long Dan and Al developed and playtested this game. Every chance they got for well over two years. The game is finished. All the art, all the sculps, all the scenarios, all the components. All that remains is for Steve to push the button and turn on the machines that make them. Lastly, it's gonna deliver. No question. Stronghold knows how to get their games to the market.

2) The other half of the argument is the price. $100 is steep. No doubt. I would have been happy with cardboard standees in a $60 game. I actually like them better (ala Legends of Andor). But if Steve can charge $100 and people are willing to pay it, then god bless them. I hope they all make a million dollars.

3) Lastly, Al is a beautiful person. And I'd do my damndest to get you to put down your hard earned money on this game even if I didn't think it was great. Lucky for conscience that it is great.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
24 Jan 2015 13:56 - 24 Jan 2015 13:59 #195993 by engineer Al

Sagrilarus wrote: We won't know where SC:AM (oh my, not the best acronym, is it? Sorry for stumbling onto that!).

It was better than the one for Space Cadets: Away Teams.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2015 13:59 by engineer Al. Reason: Aliens
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dr. Mabuse, OldHippy, Sevej

More
24 Jan 2015 14:05 - 24 Jan 2015 14:06 #195994 by ThirstyMan

Mr. White wrote: I'm going to go against the grain here and defend applejack's comment.

I appreciate all the work Al and Shelley have done for this community and I'm glad that their kickstarter looks to be doing gangbusters.

That said, many folks have decried tons of these games stuffed with plastic on kickstarter. $100+ games have also been routinely run down. This is both. I understand why a lot of locals are buying in, but it is jarring as the narrative of several folks seem to have flipped overnight.

For what it's worth, I have pointed this kickstarter to several individuals I know that may be interested in this sort of game, but don't frequent the fort.

In fact, most of the kickstarter criticisms have been for games which have been inadequately playtested or developed. Personally, I don't give a shit if it is $100 but YMMV. Neither do I particularly care about plastic. My main bugbear has been inadequate testing in the development stage.

This, I feel, did not happen here. I blind play tested this with absolutely no comments from the designers during the entire play through (and it was very difficult for them to keep their mouths shut!). I read the rules and then played with others in the same situation (not the designers). We discussed any issues that came out from that after the play with the designers NOT during the play. I would imagine that I was not the only one to do this. Seems to me that a lot of kickstarter games are 'tested' by the designers and their families/friends and that few are blind tested by gamers who know nothing about the game.

I don't particularly support the concept of putting business risk in the hands of the consumers and I do feel Kickstarter is really for the individual, not the company. I will support it because there is no choice. This is a Stronghold decision and I guess it's up to them, regardless of what I think.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2015 14:06 by ThirstyMan.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, engineer Al

More
24 Jan 2015 14:26 #195995 by Hatchling
I'm really excited about this game. I love that I know (virtually, but still!) the people who have ben involved with the game from the ground up. I don't trust BGG hype, but I trust F:AT hype (I have tested it many times and it has yet to let me down...what can I say, I have the same taste in games as a bunch of people here). I find the concept and the art totally engaging. The sci fi tropes seem so well done that I feel like this game would be like a museum of sci fi coolness in a box that my friends and I will totally love. It's charming as hell. I've been on the lookout for a good coop and was going to buy D&D Arshardalon, but the sci fi culture hooks me more, and it's more fun to invest in a game that has a personal/community history to it. I can't wait to play it, take photos and share joy with you people.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, engineer Al

More
24 Jan 2015 15:22 #195998 by ChristopherMD
I won't back a $100 kickstarter of a game I've never played. Doesn't matter how many people here vouch for it. Best of luck to everyone involved though. While I have issues with KS campaigns, I'm always telling people to use it to sell their ideas and hopefully make some money. I look forward to trying someone else's copy someday.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose, Gary Sax, engineer Al, Rafael Silva

More
24 Jan 2015 18:15 - 24 Jan 2015 18:16 #196010 by DeletedUser
I confess to a little sticker shock when I first checked out the Kickstarter page. I don't know what I was expecting but it wasn't a $100 game. If the free worldwide shipping wasn't available, I would have flagged it. Even with free shipping, it's a lot of money especially as the NZ dollar has weakened against the greenback in recent days. But I trust the Fatties who have designed it and played it and I trust Stronghold games to back a good game. This type of game is right up my alley and I don't have anything filling this spot at the moment after selling Doom a few months back. Fingers crossed that the KS meets all of the stretch goals to make the production the best it can be.
Last edit: 24 Jan 2015 18:16 by DeletedUser.

More
25 Jan 2015 02:48 #196021 by Sevej
For anyone who hasn't read the rules, it's good. I really like how enemies aren't just variations of stat. They are different. At first the AI looks difficult, but later it can be seen how shortcuts have been made to make them *really* simple to go through, unlike most tactical co-ops which need more than desired amount of attention from the players.

The only negative for me is the campaign which is not a real campaign with development and carryover flags.

More
25 Jan 2015 10:46 #196039 by engineer Al
Thanks Sevej. We worked hard at keeping the rules as simple as possible without losing any of the games "depth". It's not "mainstream" simple, but easy enough that rules don't disturb the immersion. Every time we started to go down a creative path we remembered our mantra: "No Special Rules".

As for the campaign, we went back and forth on this many times. In the end we decided we wanted a game where you could play ANY scenario at ANY time with ANY group.

More
25 Jan 2015 12:57 #196046 by ubarose
Please don't misconstrue this thread as pressure to purchase SC: Away Missions. This has been a long road, with many ups and downs. Many F:ATies have been part of the is journey. Personally, I just want to share my excitement and anxiety with with them and the greater F:AT community; have this place here on the Fort where we can celebrate together.

Maybe someday I will write the behind the scenes story of "A Game Design Widow: what happens when four passionate, talented, stubborn men develop and publish a game together."
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax, Dr. Mabuse, Cranberries, wadenels

More
25 Jan 2015 14:29 #196062 by cdennett

VonTush wrote:

Mr. White wrote: I'm going to go against the grain here and defend applejack's comment.

Yeah, I feel like were it not for the connections to here people would be singing to old "Bubblegum Machine Models" "KS is going to be the death of the hobby" "$100+ games are going to be the death of the hobby"

I'm blindly backing because of the connections here and because of the trust I put into the people here who have played.

Agree with pretty much all of you points, though I may have backed it because of the Stronghold connection alone. The KickStarter has some issues (confusing shipping and backer levels, many stretch goals obviously being removed content to help drive the KS machine, a much higher price point than I'm used to spending for the amount of content), but I try to support projects by people I like.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ubarose

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds