October 09, 2023
2448 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2648 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Let'sTalk - Space Cadets

More
28 Jan 2015 19:55 #196521 by ChristopherMD
Both the original game Space Cadets and the Dice Duel one. Who has played these and what did you think? Do you still play either?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jan 2015 14:28 #196525 by Gary Sax
Replied by Gary Sax on topic Let'sTalk - Space Cadets
I would love to play these but it's all group on this one. Reminds me of Space Alert---I don't have a group hardcore enough to coop such a long and involved game. Wish I did!

More
30 Jan 2015 15:13 #196534 by Green Lantern
I played Space Cadets a few times months ago and want to get it back on the table soon so we can finish the missions. It's nothing like any other game I've played in that it forces everyone to finish their tasks under stress, communicate, and work together to overcome obstacles. The puzzle and dexterity mini-games are unique and give each station on the ship its own unique feel and that adds a ton of replay; if you get tired of being the weapons officer change things up and man the shields or take over as pilot for a new challenge.

More
30 Jan 2015 15:25 #196539 by charlest
Replied by charlest on topic Let'sTalk - Space Cadets
They're good games and the Engelstein's did a great job designing them. Very unique.

We enjoyed them in my group although we found the original to drag a bit and take a long time. Not a huge problem but it limited how often we would pull it out as it took 2+ hours on average. Hard to get 5+ people together for that long.

Dice Duel is probably a little more enjoyable while still maintaining the stress induced gameplay. It's team based which is very interesting as not many games possess that structure. It plays quick and is easy to get the table if you have a group the proper size. I really prefer it with the full compliment of 8 with captains on each side.

The Die Fighter expansion for dice duel is phenomenal as well. Really changes up your conventions and strategy and playing as a fighter jock is fun as hell.

Unfortunately both games have left my collection not too long ago due to not enough shelf space and having to make cuts. Due to the higher player requirements they were something I'd pull out once a year or so and I made the tough call.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gary Sax

More
30 Jan 2015 18:03 #196565 by repoman
Replied by repoman on topic Let'sTalk - Space Cadets
Geoff's and his son's designs are unique and well done. All that I have tried, I have appreciated but none of them have been for me.

Space Cadets has "puzzle under the gun" aspect. I really don't like that. Some people do. The pressure to figure out the solution while a timer ticks down causes me a lot stress, and not the good kind that other tense competitive games can.

Also, it causes the same feelings I had playing team sports as a nerd lad. When I fail as I will due to the reasons cited above, I feel as if I've let the whole team down. I hated that feeling as a kid and I hate it as a fat adult.

Dice Duel, Geoff demoed for me at ConnCon. I found it to be WAY too frantic for me. Again with the timer forcing my thought/dexterity processes to operate at speeds that cause me distress. I knew right away it wasn't for me.

Keep in mind that many people at that demo thought it was the greatest thing ever. I mean really enthusiastic and happy to have played it. And Josh Look, to whom I gave my copy of Space Cadets loves it.

More
30 Jan 2015 18:34 #196566 by DukeofChutney
I've liked all the Engelstein clan games I've played (although Ares Project is probably my favourite).

Dice Duel is probably the most exceptional, i think its a genuinely incredible experience game. it is very frantic, but short and not very serious, its really a team party game. I really like it but was a little lukewarm on the die fighter expansion. Its ok, but makes the game more complex strategically than it needs to be and erodes the teams unity. If my friend didn't own it, i'd buy a copy and but it on the keep shelf as there is really nothing like it. Its not really comparable with other dice games as you don't chose results, you are simply real time rolling to get the right results, which would be rather dull if not for the pressure of the situation.

Space Cadets is a competitor for my favourite coop, mainly because it feels less like a solo puzzle scraped out for multiple players. With each player having their own puzzle and frantically screaming at each other it sort of works even if some of the puzzles are a bit tedious. I prefer it to Space Alert which has worn thin on me after a dozen or so games. It feels more varied between plays weirdly and has a far more engaging team dynamic.

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.155 seconds