October 09, 2023
2455 0
O
oliverkinne
October 06, 2023
2657 0

Outback Crossing Review

Board Game Reviews
Bugs: Recent Topics Paging, Uploading Images & Preview (11 Dec 2020)

Recent Topics paging, uploading images and preview bugs require a patch which has not yet been released.

× Talk about the latest and greatest AT, and the Classics.

Bustin' Makes Me Feel Good - Ghostbusters Boardgame?

More
10 Feb 2015 09:58 #197268 by Egg Shen
So I woke up to see that this is going to be a thing. Ghostbusters is one of my favorite movies so I'm instantly intrigued by this. Looks like it's being done by Cryptozoic who doesn't have the best track record. Also, apparently this is going to be a kickstarter. Not sure how I feel about the whole thing. Kind of excited I guess. Will have to wait and see more details.

http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/38750/ghostbusters-cross-kickstarter-stream-thanks-crypt

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2015 10:14 #197270 by lj1983
kickstarter is up.

$80 for the base game + stretch
$125 for base+ KS exclusives + stretch
250k funding goal

no real gameplay video - mentions stuff about the tiles, which look neat. looks like a tactical minis game.
My feeling is it will be zombicide level rule-set. good (but not great) enough to play, but nothing new other than the setting.

I like Gary's idea of a city-based adventure game, like Arkham Horror...which I think is a great idea and would fit Ghostbusters better.

More
10 Feb 2015 10:29 #197273 by Sagrilarus
One hundred and forty-one frikkin' dollars for a bucket of marketing memes and a pair of glow in the dark dice.

I've been polite about this in the past, but straight up? Anybody who buys this is frikkin' idiot.

Dan and Al have to look at this and just shake their head.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Shellhead, Msample, Colorcrayons, Gregarius

More
10 Feb 2015 10:44 #197275 by SuperflyPete
I think it looks fun. It has the aesthetics of the REAL Ghostbusters cartoon, and it's cute. Not 80$ cute, but cute.

Attachments:

More
10 Feb 2015 11:14 #197282 by Egg Shen
Yeah, if this game were based on the original film I'd be more gung ho about it. As it stands this is looking more like a pass or a wait until it sees a retail release. Plus I ain't gonna back this instead of Space Cadets: Away Missions.

More
10 Feb 2015 11:22 #197284 by VonTush
We're in an age of branding. That's the fact of the matter.
I'm backing this. So I guess I'm an idiot. But if I maintain my SC:AW pledge does that allow me to maintain some cred?
The following user(s) said Thank You: SuperflyPete

More
10 Feb 2015 11:27 #197288 by Grudunza
From the details on the KS page, it does seem to be about 90% a Zombicide re-skin. I agree that Ghostbusters would be better in an AH type game, but this doesn't look too bad, actually. Thematically, I'd prefer it to Zombicide. Still no interest in it at the price, though.

More
10 Feb 2015 11:45 #197290 by Space Ghost

Sagrilarus wrote: One hundred and forty-one frikkin' dollars for a bucket of marketing memes and a pair of glow in the dark dice.

I've been polite about this in the past, but straight up? Anybody who buys this is frikkin' idiot.

Dan and Al have to look at this and just shake their head.

It looks like it is "only" $125 ....

What raises this to "idiot" level though?

And, I guess I'm at a loss at how this ties back into Space Cadets (which I did back)?

More
10 Feb 2015 11:51 #197294 by Josh Look
I'm one of the biggest Ghostbusters fans on the planet, but I think I'm waiting for retail on this one. I do think it looks cool though. Some of the minis are based on the Real Ghostbusters toys from the 80s and there's a die with the symbols from Venkman's "effects of negative reinforcement on ESP" test. I have no idea what it does, but that's fucking brilliant.

More
10 Feb 2015 12:01 #197298 by Space Ghost
Yeah, that dice is really a nice inclusion. I also like that there is going to be a Sandman boss -- that was always one of my favorite episodes from the Real Ghostbusters.

More
10 Feb 2015 12:17 #197299 by Josh Look

Space Ghost wrote: Yeah, that dice is really a nice inclusion. I also like that there is going to be a Sandman boss -- that was always one of my favorite episodes from the Real Ghostbusters.

One of the many standout episodes, for sure. If they were to put the Boogeyman or Samhain in this thing, my wallet would be screwed.

More
10 Feb 2015 12:23 - 10 Feb 2015 12:26 #197300 by Sagrilarus

Space Ghost wrote: What raises this to "idiot" level though?

It's $125 plus shipping, for a game with no details in the description. Instead you get this --

Are you troubled by strange noises in the middle of the night? Do you experience feelings of dread in your basement or attic? Have you or your family ever seen a spook, spectre, or ghost? If the answer is "yes," then don't wait another minute. Pick up the phone and call the professionals . .

Hey look everybody! It has the Stay Pufft Marshmallow guy! That's funny, remember? It was funny back in the 80s when the movie came out! We're trendy!

That's only available at the "Mass Hysteria" level by the way, about as aptly named as it could ever be.

This thing would have struggled at $59.99 five years ago, since it's Kickstarting with exclusives it's price rises more than 100%.

Half of the crowd here talk about reading rule books and getting a first play in before considering a purchase, then click on the "OMFG BUY NOW!" button on Kickstarter when the game is offered at double the price. This thing is going to be available in the aftermarket (now defined as normal retail, it used to be defined as Used, which will be even cheaper three months later) days after it ships, will be much cheaper and you'll be able to have an idea if it's any good or not. You just might even know what the game looks like and plays like. Even if you just want the art and the bucket of plastic parts there is absolutely no good reason to purchase this at its marked-up price, but if you actually are considering playing it it would appear to me that the only reasonable decision is to wait.

I used to rationalize this as people paying for the experience of Kickstarting, but Jesus, this is emperor's new clothes level of absurdity.

S.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2015 12:26 by Sagrilarus.
The following user(s) said Thank You: lj1983, wadenels, Erik Twice

More
10 Feb 2015 12:32 #197302 by Msample
On another forum we pretty came up with the magic formula for KS campaigns:

Old nostalgic IP + minis + huge price point = profit !

Its getting sickening really.

More
10 Feb 2015 12:54 - 10 Feb 2015 12:56 #197304 by VonTush
Hold fuck! A Kickstarter that is pulling in money.
The whole fucking God damned hobby is doomed...DOOMED I SAY!!!!

You all are sounding much like the BGG Illuminati back in the day.
That's what's really sickening.
Last edit: 10 Feb 2015 12:56 by VonTush.

More
10 Feb 2015 13:01 #197305 by Sagrilarus

VonTush wrote: You all are sounding much like the BGG Illuminati back in the day.

No, this is your father talking. You're throwing money in a hole. You'll be able to purchase this exact same thing on nearly the same day (still nine months off) for significantly less, if you even still want it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Legomancer, Msample, SuperflyPete, Colorcrayons, wadenels, Erik Twice, Gregarius

Moderators: Gary Sax
Time to create page: 0.264 seconds